RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

  • Peter Duffy
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
      I should have been more specific on this. When booting the computer tap F-8
      key until the windows boot option screen pops up. Then select the option to
      "Disable driver signature enforcement" and then select the option to start
      windows. This should stop windows 7 from preventing the loading of the
      unsigned driver. This mode was provided so programmers could use unsigned
      drivers in a software developer environment/mode. Not the greatest option
      but it is a workaround until the manufacture of your USB to Serial adapter
      updates the driver to a MS approved/signed version for Win7. Don't ask me
      why Windows 7 doesn't even tell you that it has blocked the driver from

      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      Behalf
      Of Jeffreyinberthoud
      Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:40 AM
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

      Im assuming by the messages I see in other forums I am not the only one with
      the following issue

      I purchased my new 396xt aboiut a year ago and it came with the serial port
      cable well thanks to Microsoft ......all the new pc's with windows 7 do not
      have serial ports and it seems hit and miss on getting
      those aftermarket converter cables to work.....

      I have a RS 323 or 232 ??? and there is no windows 7 driver for this

      Ideas?

    • Jeffreyinberthoud
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
        Just hot back from the shack.......................................

        Well I found a cable that appears to work for the uniden to windows 7 issue.

        it is a GIGAWARE 6FT USB-A TO SERIAL CONNECTOR 08A10

        It comes with a disk with several drivers on it I did not have to install any for this to work I have an HP Pavilion running windows 7.

        There are two diffrent models at shack one is $39 one is $29

        Model mentioned above is the $39 dollar unit
      • Tim Woodward
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
          I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
          anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
          Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
          heard of any issued with Windows 7.

          There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner and
          software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows 7,
          it does in 32-bit.

          I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
          driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
          I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue with
          every driver.
          Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.

          All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
          fine on Windows XP pc.

          My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
          to use my new laptop.

          For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of data,
          like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.

          FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use FreeScan
          and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
          Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
          there is something real here.

          With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
          upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
          The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
          starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
          locks up,
          after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
          error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
            If nothing else you can buy a used (refurb) computer from Tiger Direct that
            has serial ports for $100 and up. I have two I use for scanner control, ones
            been going almost 2 years non-stop. They ae cheap and have both serial and
            USB ports, and they have either XP Pro or Vista or no OS versions as well.

            > Im assuming by the messages I see in other forums I am not the only one
            > with the following issue
            >
            > I purchased my new 396xt aboiut a year ago and it came with the serial
            > port cable well thanks to Microsoft ......all the new pc's with windows 7
            > do not have serial ports and it seems hit and miss on getting
            > those aftermarket converter cables to work.....
            >
            > I have a RS 323 or 232 ??? and there is no windows 7 driver for this
            >
            > Ideas?

          • Paul Opitz
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
              That is not necessary when using the latest drivers for the USB-1 and other
              models that use the Prolific chipset.

              http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/USB-1Drivers

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit??? Just curious.

                I have a new HP Pavilion laptop and have been having an issue with the
                drivers all of them and both a generic cable and USB-1 on Windows 7 64-bit.
                All cables work fine on my Windows XP desktop.

                I have tried the drivers from prolific directly as well as the ones provided
                on the ScanMasters link.

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                  Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                  problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                  problems.

                • shelleysh1@att.net
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Hi Peter,

                    I'm familiar with Tim's problem (not personally with Tim) but have seen it on a couple of other HP *LAPTOPS* - laptops being one the keywords here and the 64 bit v. of Sys 7 being the other. The only effective solution to the problem I've found is not to use an adapter. I don't want to be rude here but it is clearly more simple to purchase the Uniden part, download their copy of the Prolific driver (which does work with the 64bit Sys 7) and go from there. The desktops (HP included) have been working just fine and most all, even today, still have serial ports.

                    Shell

                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                      lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden cable
                      and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                      I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb ports.

                      Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in me
                      wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                      convenient choice when it works. : )

                      I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                      aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                      I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                      implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.

                      Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable to
                      the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be greatly
                      appreciated.
                      I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and from
                      the Prolific site as well.
                      It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact version.

                      Thanks,
                      Tim

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                        Do you have the same issue with other SW packages? That might help
                        narrow down the cause being the PC, the OS, or the SW.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                          Hey Joe,

                          Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time, mostly
                          on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that comes
                          installed on the scanner.

                          thanks

                          Tim Woodward wrote:
                          > lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden
                          cable
                          > and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                          > I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb
                          ports.

                          > Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in
                          me
                          > wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                          > convenient choice when it works. : )
                          >
                          > I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                          > aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                          > I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                          > implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.
                          >
                          > Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable
                          > the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be
                          greatly
                          > appreciated.
                          > I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and
                          from
                          > the Prolific site as well.
                          > It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact
                          version.

                          > Thanks,
                          > Tim

                          12/07/10

                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                            If you've never seen the issue with FreeScan, that would seem to rule
                            out any issues with the PC or OS.

                            Joe M.

                          • Tim Woodward
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                              I know that seems like the simple answer except that Butel claims it's not
                              doing anything special.
                              That's where I'm at . . .

                              Tim Woodward wrote:
                              > Hey Joe,
                              >
                              > Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time,
                              mostly
                              > on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that
                              comes
                              > installed on the scanner.
                              >
                              > thanks

                              03/14/10
                              > 02:33:00

                            • Peter Duffy
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Have you tried slowing down the baud a little on the port and radio? Just
                                brainstorming. Duff

                                <mailto:nmar@...%20%3cmailto:nmar%40earthlink.net>

                                <mailto:jeffrey_schiller@...%0b>

                                03/14/10
                                > 02:33:00

                              • Peter Duffy
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  I agree that probably is the easiest solution. I have had some issues with
                                  ports on the HP laptops which is why I mentioned the drivers. I use the
                                  laptops at work with various vehicle diagnostic programs and gave up with
                                  converters. It was just easier to buy the manufacture USB interface device
                                  in the long run. Of course that wasn't my money. ;)

                                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Peter
                                  Duffy" <pduffy211@...> wrote:

                                  > Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                                  > problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                                  > problems.
                                  >

                                  > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  Behalf
                                  > Of Tim Woodward
                                  > Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:51 PM
                                  > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares
                                  >

                                  > I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
                                  > anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
                                  > Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
                                  > heard of any issued with Windows 7.
                                  >
                                  > There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner
                                  and
                                  > software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows
                                  7,
                                  > it does in 32-bit.
                                  >
                                  > I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
                                  > driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
                                  > I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue
                                  with
                                  > every driver.
                                  > Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.
                                  >
                                  > All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
                                  > fine on Windows XP pc.
                                  >
                                  > My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
                                  > to use my new laptop.
                                  >
                                  > For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of
                                  data,
                                  > like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.
                                  >
                                  > FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use
                                  FreeScan
                                  > and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
                                  > Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
                                  > there is something real here.
                                  >
                                  > With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
                                  > upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
                                  > The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
                                  > starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
                                  > locks up,
                                  > after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
                                  > error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.
                                  >
                                  > Tim

                                • tcappetti
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                    I had the same problem with mine. I slowed the baudrate to 19200 matched it on the XT and it worked just fine.

                                    Sent from my iPhone4