RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares

  • Peter Duffy
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
      I found drivers on support pages for other USB to serial cable converters.
      In time these older drivers may be updated to support Win7 as they must be
      certified by Microsoft. On older windows machines windows would prompt you
      about uncertified drivers when installing and you had the option of saying
      yes and installing it anyways. Windows 7 doesn't provide that option. One
      way to work around it is when booting windows. To make a non-windows 7
      certified driver work you must hit F-8 on boot up and select the option to
      use the uncertified drivers and you must do this every time you boot the
      computer. I did this for my old 246 with an off the shelf converter I
      bought online. A few months later their site provided a new certified
      driver for win 7. I haven't had any problems using the cable and driver
      supplied from Uniden. Duff

      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
        You seem to be missing the point that the USB adapter is more than just a cable - it's an electronic interface device that converts between two different interface specs. To include that adapter in the package would raise the price needlessly for those who have serial ports available, or already have a USB-to-serial adapter.

        - Dennis

        On Dec 8, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Jeffreyinberthoud wrote:

        > well thanks to all I guess Im just a cheapo dude I wait three years to purchase "new " radio's and or other equipment guess I want everything to work and not spend an additional 30 bucks .................
        >
        > It sounds like a driver issue maiunly
        >
        > I still dont understand why Uniden continues to send the stupid serial port cable but I will hunt for a fix thanks again

      • J. Newell
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
          I am still using a relatively old Belkin converter. I just did virgin Win7 installs on two machines. I installed the Belkin Vista/prior drivers from their website and have had no problems with any of my radios (KW, Icom, Yaesu, Uniden, others).

          John Newell
          Boston, MA

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
            I should have been more specific on this. When booting the computer tap F-8
            key until the windows boot option screen pops up. Then select the option to
            "Disable driver signature enforcement" and then select the option to start
            windows. This should stop windows 7 from preventing the loading of the
            unsigned driver. This mode was provided so programmers could use unsigned
            drivers in a software developer environment/mode. Not the greatest option
            but it is a workaround until the manufacture of your USB to Serial adapter
            updates the driver to a MS approved/signed version for Win7. Don't ask me
            why Windows 7 doesn't even tell you that it has blocked the driver from

            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
              Just hot back from the shack.......................................

              Well I found a cable that appears to work for the uniden to windows 7 issue.

              it is a GIGAWARE 6FT USB-A TO SERIAL CONNECTOR 08A10

              It comes with a disk with several drivers on it I did not have to install any for this to work I have an HP Pavilion running windows 7.

              There are two diffrent models at shack one is $39 one is $29

              Model mentioned above is the $39 dollar unit
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                Umm... some windows 7 pc came with serial port! :-)
                Ordered a DELL Optiplex780. It came to me in January,2010.

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                  I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
                  anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
                  Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
                  heard of any issued with Windows 7.

                  There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner and
                  software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows 7,
                  it does in 32-bit.

                  I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
                  driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
                  I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue with
                  every driver.
                  Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.

                  All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
                  fine on Windows XP pc.

                  My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
                  to use my new laptop.

                  For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of data,
                  like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.

                  FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use FreeScan
                  and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
                  Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
                  there is something real here.

                  With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
                  upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
                  The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
                  starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
                  locks up,
                  after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
                  error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.

                  Tim

                  > Im assuming by the messages I see in other forums I am not the only one
                  > with the following issue
                  >
                  > I purchased my new 396xt aboiut a year ago and it came with the serial
                  > port cable well thanks to Microsoft ......all the new pc's with windows
                  7
                  > do not have serial ports and it seems hit and miss on getting
                  > those aftermarket converter cables to work.....
                  >
                  > I have a RS 323 or 232 ??? and there is no windows 7 driver for this
                  >
                  > Ideas?

                  > -----
                  > No virus found in this message.

                • johnstark
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                    If nothing else you can buy a used (refurb) computer from Tiger Direct that
                    has serial ports for $100 and up. I have two I use for scanner control, ones
                    been going almost 2 years non-stop. They ae cheap and have both serial and
                    USB ports, and they have either XP Pro or Vista or no OS versions as well.

                    > Im assuming by the messages I see in other forums I am not the only one
                    > with the following issue
                    >
                    > I purchased my new 396xt aboiut a year ago and it came with the serial
                    > port cable well thanks to Microsoft ......all the new pc's with windows 7
                    > do not have serial ports and it seems hit and miss on getting
                    > those aftermarket converter cables to work.....
                    >
                    > I have a RS 323 or 232 ??? and there is no windows 7 driver for this
                    >
                    > Ideas?

                  • Paul Opitz
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                      That is not necessary when using the latest drivers for the USB-1 and other
                      models that use the Prolific chipset.

                      http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/USB-1Drivers

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                        Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit??? Just curious.

                        I have a new HP Pavilion laptop and have been having an issue with the
                        drivers all of them and both a generic cable and USB-1 on Windows 7 64-bit.
                        All cables work fine on my Windows XP desktop.

                        I have tried the drivers from prolific directly as well as the ones provided
                        on the ScanMasters link.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 8, 2010
                          Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                          problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                          problems.

                        • shelleysh1@att.net
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                            Hi Peter,

                            I'm familiar with Tim's problem (not personally with Tim) but have seen it on a couple of other HP *LAPTOPS* - laptops being one the keywords here and the 64 bit v. of Sys 7 being the other. The only effective solution to the problem I've found is not to use an adapter. I don't want to be rude here but it is clearly more simple to purchase the Uniden part, download their copy of the Prolific driver (which does work with the 64bit Sys 7) and go from there. The desktops (HP included) have been working just fine and most all, even today, still have serial ports.

                            Shell

                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                              lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden cable
                              and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                              I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb ports.

                              Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in me
                              wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                              convenient choice when it works. : )

                              I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                              aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                              I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                              implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.

                              Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable to
                              the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be greatly
                              appreciated.
                              I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and from
                              the Prolific site as well.
                              It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact version.

                              Thanks,
                              Tim

                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                Do you have the same issue with other SW packages? That might help
                                narrow down the cause being the PC, the OS, or the SW.

                                Joe M.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                  Hey Joe,

                                  Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time, mostly
                                  on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that comes
                                  installed on the scanner.

                                  thanks

                                  Tim Woodward wrote:
                                  > lol I like the (not personally) part, as I stated I have the Uniden
                                  cable
                                  > and still have the communication issue I described with ARC-XT.
                                  > I've been starting to think that it's a firmware issue with the Usb
                                  ports.

                                  > Oh well I can program my scanner on another machine but the engineer in
                                  me
                                  > wants to know why I can't use my laptop, obviously the laptop is a more
                                  > convenient choice when it works. : )
                                  >
                                  > I talked to someone at Butel as I stated and they said that they weren't
                                  > aware of any issues and that it's just normal rs-232 comms.
                                  > I can't help thinking that it's related in someway to the 64-bit
                                  > implementation of the usb port or maybe the machine an HP Pavilion DV6.
                                  >
                                  > Can someone confirm Windows 7 64-bit Laptop ARC-XT using the USB-1 cable
                                  > the scanner, if so which driver version down to the build would be
                                  greatly
                                  > appreciated.
                                  > I have tried all the drivers from ScanMasters aka Uniden sanctioned and
                                  from
                                  > the Prolific site as well.
                                  > It was a while ago so that is why I would like to know the exact
                                  version.

                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Tim

                                  12/07/10

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                    If you've never seen the issue with FreeScan, that would seem to rule
                                    out any issues with the PC or OS.

                                    Joe M.

                                  • Tim Woodward
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                      I know that seems like the simple answer except that Butel claims it's not
                                      doing anything special.
                                      That's where I'm at . . .

                                      Tim Woodward wrote:
                                      > Hey Joe,
                                      >
                                      > Curiously not with FreeScan but yes with Arc-xt and not all the time,
                                      mostly
                                      > on large data downloads like trying to read the origional data that
                                      comes
                                      > installed on the scanner.
                                      >
                                      > thanks

                                      03/14/10
                                      > 02:33:00

                                    • Peter Duffy
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                        Have you tried slowing down the baud a little on the port and radio? Just
                                        brainstorming. Duff

                                        <mailto:nmar@...%20%3cmailto:nmar%40earthlink.net>

                                        <mailto:jeffrey_schiller@...%0b>

                                        03/14/10
                                        > 02:33:00

                                      • Peter Duffy
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                          I agree that probably is the easiest solution. I have had some issues with
                                          ports on the HP laptops which is why I mentioned the drivers. I use the
                                          laptops at work with various vehicle diagnostic programs and gave up with
                                          converters. It was just easier to buy the manufacture USB interface device
                                          in the long run. Of course that wasn't my money. ;)

                                          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Peter
                                          Duffy" <pduffy211@...> wrote:

                                          > Have you check HP for system driver updates. I believe you're having a
                                          > problem but I'm running a HP e9237 desktop w/64 bit Win7 and so far no
                                          > problems.
                                          >

                                          > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          Behalf
                                          > Of Tim Woodward
                                          > Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:51 PM
                                          > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] windows 7 and serial port nightmares
                                          >

                                          > I can vouch for the fact that this problem is not a ghost and feel for
                                          > anyone that gets told that it's in your head.
                                          > Even went down the road with Butel for their Arcxt software they haven't
                                          > heard of any issued with Windows 7.
                                          >
                                          > There is a problem with somewhere between Windows 7 64-bit, the scanner
                                          and
                                          > software and maybe that is where some are saying it works fine in Windows
                                          7,
                                          > it does in 32-bit.
                                          >
                                          > I had a generic USB converter with the prolific chipset and tried every
                                          > driver possible, installing, testing uninstalling etc etc.
                                          > I then bought the sanctioned Uniden cable and had the same exact issue
                                          with
                                          > every driver.
                                          > Both failures were on a new HP laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed.
                                          >
                                          > All cables rs-232 direct, generic usb and Uniden USB-1 cables worked just
                                          > fine on Windows XP pc.
                                          >
                                          > My Situation (still unresolved!) I can use the pc upstairs but really want
                                          > to use my new laptop.
                                          >
                                          > For me the problem arises when attempting to transfer large amounts of
                                          data,
                                          > like downloading the origional data that comes installed on the scanner.
                                          >
                                          > FreeScan worked in this situation so I know some will say just use
                                          FreeScan
                                          > and I can, I am more familar with Arc-XT and want to get that working.
                                          > Note: I am not promoting either software, more or less just saying that
                                          > there is something real here.
                                          >
                                          > With Arc-xt and my new HP Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, I could sometimes
                                          > upload or download a small amount of data like a single group.
                                          > The problem arises when I attempt to download a large amount of data, it
                                          > starts off normal and you can see it counting up the scanner data but then
                                          > locks up,
                                          > after an extended period of time the application gives a communication
                                          > error, you are forced to quit by forcing the app closed.
                                          >
                                          > Tim

                                        • tcappetti
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 9, 2010
                                            I had the same problem with mine. I slowed the baudrate to 19200 matched it on the XT and it worked just fine.

                                            Sent from my iPhone4