Re: [BCD396XT] Re: BCProgTool.TCL for cross platform XT Operation and MinimalProgramming Support

  • Richard Victor
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 17, 2010
      FreeScan doesn't cost money and works well. If you need the
      additional features, ProScan also works well and is, in my opinion, well
      worth the money. Many people are very pleased with ARC-XT.

      BCTool+ has recently been released and now includes support for the
      latest scanners. When last I checked the author was quickly resolving
      various bugs that are inherent in most new software. Don't know if he's
      gotten them all resolved as yet or not. It now has a paid version and a
      crippleware free version.

      I haven't tried BCPROGTOOL, but it appears that one of its big
      advantages is the cross platform support for those that need or want it.

      YMMV
      Dick

    • Matthew Kurzon
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2010
        i noticed that arc xt pro has some nice new features,
        and proscan is fantastic in it's super complex abilities,
        yet it can simply program a bcd396xt as well

        so can arc xt; i like having both of these.. and having
        a lifetime membership is nice (both)

        question for ymmv, dick:

        this is simpleminded ok, but does cross platform=
        across different operating systems?

        thanks for your write up analyzing the various software
        programs by the way..

        matthew

        ________________________________
        FreeScan doesn't cost money and works well. If you need the
        additional features, ProScan also works well and is, in my opinion, well
        worth the money. Many people are very pleased with ARC-XT.

        BCTool+ has recently been released and now includes support for the
        latest scanners. When last I checked the author was quickly resolving
        various bugs that are inherent in most new software. Don't know if he's
        gotten them all resolved as yet or not. It now has a paid version and a
        crippleware free version.

        I haven't tried BCPROGTOOL, but it appears that one of its big
        advantages is the cross platform support for those that need or want it.

        YMMV
        Dick

        On 10/17/2010 5:32 PM, Matthew Kurzon wrote:
        > 2 programs are arc xt and proscan, but they cost money!
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Keith
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
          Hi, What computer OS platform did you work the program on?
          Did you use the Uniden USB-1 or a Prolific USB Adaptor?
          There is a problem with the prolific/USB-1 adaptor with Mac, but I didn't
          have any problems with Windows and Linux with those adaptors using the
          program when I wrote it.

          Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

          Keith
          kilowattradio@...

          On 10/16/10 7:58 PM, "warpedspeed" <warpedspeed1@...> wrote:

          > Throwing my $0.02 in for the record.
          >
          > I just received my BC396XT this weekend.
          > I had not purchased a scanner since I bought a TrunkTracker II ten years ago.
          > However I do have a good handle on trunking technologies and methodologies,
          > re-banding, P25 IMBE, etc... I have had my hands on some of the newer
          > scanners over the last decade to play with.
          > I knew that wrapping my hands around DMA would probably be my biggest
          > challenge. I was wrong. BCPROGTOOL was my biggest challenge.

          --
          Best Regards, Keith
          http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
        • warpedspeed
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
            Some good interesting feedback occuring here.

            I should have initially indicated that I apreciate Keith's efforts to provide a multi platform GPL application for the XT units.
            I know that there are other propriatary Windows alternatives, even free ones, but I try to use open applications when I can.
            My main PC at home runs Linux as the primary OS, but it also has Windows support as needed. By using BCPROGTOOL, I do not need to litter that PC with another Windows app.

            BCPROGTOOL is still a little rough around the edges. That is why I share my experience with others, so that there is knowledge of some of the current quirks, and methods to work around them.
            I will be sharing some additional information with Keith regarding the issues that I encountered. Hopefully that will lead to additional improvements in the program.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

            > FreeSCAN works nicely with the 396XT...
            >
            > 2 cents worth...

          • Richard Victor
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
              Matthew,

              Yes, that's what I meant by cross platform. That would be a major
              advantage of BCPROGTOOL for some users if all else were equal. BCTool+
              claims to work under WINE on Linux and *BSD.

              I know that some have successfully run FreeScan on Macs running
              Windows. The same may be true of ProScan and ARC-XT, but I don't recall.

              The advantage of FreeScan, ProScan and ARC-XT, it seems to me, is that
              they've been around awhile and have therefore had most of the bugs
              resolved. From the original post in this thread it appears that
              BCPROGTOOL may not have yet reached that stage and BCTool+ was still
              ironing out some issues within the last few weeks when I was following
              its development more closely than I am now.

              The one thing that one can say for sure about the various programs is
              that each person has different criteria by which they evaluate how well
              a program meets his/her needs so it's really a good idea to try as many
              as you can to find what's best for you.

              Dick

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                Dick,

                I can think of a few advantages of ProScan: it can run multiple stations
                from one radio, and it can stream your reception out to a friend over
                the internet.  These stand out to me; since I just upgraded Arc XT to
                Pro I don't know if it can do either of these but the list doesn't stop with
                those.  I am happy with ProScan but since I started with Arc XT and
                since it gives a different way of looking at the same basic situation,
                programming frequencies into the radio, I like to keep it up to date as
                well.  Amazing features like the ones I mentioned above, and more
                I'm sure other people can state about ProScan if they wish to, can
                possibly not be found anywhere else.  Arc XT does have a "virtual radio"
                now, a live radio on the computer screen which does have an advantage:
                it shows the frequency of the station broadcasting.  I would like to
                see that in ProScan!  The radio, of course, does not show it. (Anyone
                care to prove me wrong?)

                Matthew

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                  I responded about 8 hours ago.
                  Hopefully this one makes it to the group.
                  I spent a while typing that last one too... on my phone...
                  Oh well, to sum it up;
                  Thanks to Keith Wyatt for putting in the effort on this.

                  I prefer to use multi-platform GPL applications, not proprietary Windows apps. If there were no alternatives, then I could run one of the Windows apps, but I prefer not to litter my PC with too many of those.

                  BCProgTool is still a little rough around the edges, but it is getting there. All part of the process.
                  Hopefully the information that I shared will help someone else if they are challenged by it. I suspect that as Keith works with it, it will become an easier app to use.

                  I have shared some additional information with him regarding the issues that I encountered.

                  Dean

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                    I have to wonder... WHY would someone call a program BCPROGTOOL when
                    there is an existing scanner program called BCTOOL? It seems very
                    confusing to me.

                    Joe M.

                  • johnstark
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                      I agree, not good thinking since BCTool by Rob has been around for years.
                      The author may want to consider a new name for this one.

                      >I have to wonder... WHY would someone call a program BCPROGTOOL when
                      > there is an existing scanner program called BCTOOL? It seems very
                      > confusing to me.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > warpedspeed wrote:
                      >> Some good interesting feedback occuring here.
                      >>
                      >> I should have initially indicated that I apreciate Keith's efforts to
                      >> provide a multi platform GPL application for the XT units.
                      >> I know that there are other propriatary Windows alternatives, even free
                      >> ones, but I try to use open applications when I can.
                      >> My main PC at home runs Linux as the primary OS, but it also has Windows
                      >> support as needed. By using BCPROGTOOL, I do not need to litter that PC
                      >> with another Windows app.
                      >>
                      >> BCPROGTOOL is still a little rough around the edges. That is why I share
                      >> my experience with others, so that there is knowledge of some of the
                      >> current quirks, and methods to work around them.
                      >> I will be sharing some additional information with Keith regarding the
                      >> issues that I encountered. Hopefully that will lead to additional
                      >> improvements in the program.
                      >>

                      >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> FreeSCAN works nicely with the 396XT...
                      >>>
                      >>> 2 cents worth...

                    • Keith
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                        [posted to <BCD396XT.yahoogroups.com> & emailed]
                        On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 02:58:39 -0000, "warpedspeed" <warpedspeed1@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I does work, but with limitations.
                        > Once I understood those limitations, I was off and running.
                        > The first and hardest lessens are that it will NOT reliably create Trunk Systems and Sites. Your best bet is to do that on the scanner. You can let the scanner use the default number/name combinations when you create those items, and then use BCPROGTOOL to edit them.
                        >
                        > If you try to perform these tasks with the software, you will receive a variety of error messages along the lines of unable to create, but in less understandable syntax than that.
                        >
                        > One thing to watch out for at all times with this software, is that the program will "stall" for lack of a better word. I always kept the main panel of the program off to the side, so that I could see if the message appeared in the status line at the bottom of the panel indicated that it needed to "restart". There is a Restart button on the BCPROGTOOL keypad so that you can easily re-initialize the connection. This is different that using "Connect" to initially connect to the scanner. If the program stalls while in one of the other editing screens, you will not be able to write your changes to the scanner, and the program may freeze. So make sure that you check the status of the main panel before performing any actions against the scanner.

                        Ok Let me explain. By design the software will stop the reading of the
                        comport radios status when you go into program system, talk groups or
                        system edit mode.
                        This is to prevent the problems you encountered with programming the radio
                        that would not program in the system reliably. When you finish or exit the
                        program screen mode the radio should restart the comport status display on
                        the main screen, if not THEN you press the restart key.

                        While the radio is being polled by the comport you would send your
                        programming commands to the radio and the inputting of the programmed
                        information can lead to a comport lockup or misreading of the command
                        response. Instead of receiving a OK,BLAH,BLAH the program receives
                        STS,BLAH,BLAH.

                        To prevent the problem don't have the software polling the serial port
                        while attempting to program the radio, which is the default setting in the
                        software. If you have several TK widgets displayed and poll the radios
                        comport it causes the computer to slow down or hang also.

                        This is a limitation of the TK software, but with other scanner control
                        programs you will notice the same problems of hanging when polling the
                        comport for status display updates and programming or moving around a
                        program window while polling the radio's comport.

                        --

                        Best Regards, Keith

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                          I will need help in answering this but I'm pretty sure that you
                          can put up more than one station on your computer using
                          ProScan.

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                            Matthew, what version of ProScan are you using that doesn't have a virtual display on the computer screen???

                            Even the *free* ProScan client has the virtual display, everything that's on the scanner display is on the computer screen verbatim.

                            And the big advantage is that ProScan displays this all the time, not just when you open a separate window for the virtual display!

                            I was a big ARC fan myself until maybe six months ago, I had taken a brief look at ProScan in the past but it wasn't until I got sick of purchasing a new version of ARC every time I updated scanners that I took a serious look at ProScan and after using it for a while now I won't be going back to ARC software (just my personal opinion).

                            Andrew

                            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                            > ~ Arc XT does have a "virtual radio" now, a live radio on the computer screen which does have an advantage: it shows the frequency of the station broadcasting.  I would like to see that in ProScan!  The radio, of course, does not show it. (Anyone care to prove me wrong?)
                            >
                            > Matthew

                          • Matthew Kurzon
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                              Andrew,

                              I didn't say or imply that ProScan has no virtual display, I only mentioned
                              that Arc XT finally caught up, at least in the Pro version.

                              Sorry for the confusion.  ProScan has a beautiful radio on the computer
                              screen; a request would be to have it display the frequency of the station
                              you are listening to.

                              Matthew

                              ________________________________
                              Matthew, what version of ProScan are you using that doesn't have a virtual
                              display on the computer screen???

                              Even the *free* ProScan client has the virtual display, everything that's on the
                              scanner display is on the computer screen verbatim.

                              And the big advantage is that ProScan displays this all the time, not just when
                              you open a separate window for the virtual display!

                              I was a big ARC fan myself until maybe six months ago, I had taken a brief look
                              at ProScan in the past but it wasn't until I got sick of purchasing a new
                              version of ARC every time I updated scanners that I took a serious look at
                              ProScan and after using it for a while now I won't be going back to ARC software
                              (just my personal opinion).

                              Andrew

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                              > ~ Arc XT does have a "virtual radio" now, a live radio on the computer screen
                              >which does have an advantage: it shows the frequency of the station
                              >broadcasting.  I would like to see that in ProScan!  The radio, of course,
                              >does not show it. (Anyone care to prove me wrong?)
                              >
                              > Matthew

                            • bigfella237
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 20, 2010
                                Matthew, that's not an issue with ProScan, it will only show whatever is on the scanner display, if you want to see the frequency try changing the display mode on the scanner (Func + 6)?

                                I think you're looking for mode 2 which displays the frequency on the third line?

                                Andrew

                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                                > Andrew,
                                >
                                > I didn't say or imply that ProScan has no virtual display, I only mentioned
                                > that Arc XT finally caught up, at least in the Pro version.
                                >
                                > Sorry for the confusion.  ProScan has a beautiful radio on the computer
                                > screen; a request would be to have it display the frequency of the station
                                > you are listening to.
                                >
                                > Matthew

                              • Matthew Kurzon
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 20, 2010
                                  Andrew,

                                  My mistake entirely.  I don't know what I had wrong previously but it's working
                                  now.

                                  Thanks for bringing this up again.

                                  I stand fully but happily corrected, because I really like seeing the
                                  frequencies
                                  on the ProScan display!

                                  Matthew

                                  ________________________________
                                  Matthew, that's not an issue with ProScan, it will only show whatever is on the
                                  scanner display, if you want to see the frequency try changing the display mode
                                  on the scanner (Func + 6)?

                                  I think you're looking for mode 2 which displays the frequency on the third
                                  line?

                                  Andrew

                                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                                  > Andrew,
                                  >
                                  > I didn't say or imply that ProScan has no virtual display, I only mentioned
                                  > that Arc XT finally caught up, at least in the Pro version.
                                  >
                                  > Sorry for the confusion.  ProScan has a beautiful radio on the computer
                                  > screen; a request would be to have it display the frequency of the station
                                  > you are listening to.
                                  >
                                  > Matthew

                                • warpedspeed
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 24, 2010
                                    Keith has released a new version of BCProgTool, 0.8.u, that addresses most of the issues that I detailed previously. Specifically, the creation of Systems and Sites, and some editing issues with Talk Groups are now working properly.

                                    The behavior that I described as a "stall" that required a Restart, was normal behavior, as addressed by Keith in a later message. So that is not an issue at all, and I was mistaken in thinking that I had to manually perform a restart. The program handles this automatically and does it well.

                                    73,

                                    Dean