Re: [BCD396XT] Audio level differences...

  • Uniden UPMan
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
      Since most band defaults in the scanner are NFM, I'd suspect that the service is
      transmitting FM and you have the channel programmed correctly as FM. But, on a
      Close Call hit, FM will overmodulate NFM demodulation and result in the audio
      being much louder.
       UPMan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
        Ok, sounds like Close Call is following the band default mappings when in Auto
        mode for demodulation.

        What are the deviation settings in this radio for:

        NFM

        FM

        FMB

        I have not looked to see if these are in the specification section yet.

        Thanks UPMan!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
          http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/EditChannel#Set_Modulation
           UPMan

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
            Very helpful.

            Is there a way to directly enter a DCS code for a frequency once I'm in that
            menu, rather than having to scroll through all of the codes?

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
              No, there isn't.
               UPMan

              ________________________________
              Is there a way to directly enter a DCS code for a frequency once I'm in that
              menu, rather than having to scroll through all of the codes?

              ________________________________

              I was scanning some conventional public service frequencies with close call in
              DND mode. I noticed when close call came across a local PD frequency, it's audio

              level was much louder than the same one programmed into the radio within a
              group. I have not check the AGC level settings, but wondered if anyone else has
              noticed this as well?

              Messages in this topic (5)

              Recent Activity: * New Members 7
              Visit Your Group
              MARKETPLACE
              Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the
              Yahoo! Toolbar now.

              ________________________________

              Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new
              interests.

            • Lance Star
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                That would be a cool feature to add in the next software rev. So, when u hit the keys it takes u to the DCS number you want within the list...

                Thanks UPMan. This radio continues to prove itself awesome...

                > Is there a way to directly enter a DCS code for a frequency once I'm in that
                > menu, rather than having to scroll through all of the codes?
                >
                > ________________________________

              • dataman60435
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                  If you set the menu for the freqy in question to PL/DCS "SEARCH" when the proper setting pops up monitoring the freqy just press "E" and it goes right in.....

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

                  > That would be a cool feature to add in the next software rev. So, when u hit the keys it takes u to the DCS number you want within the list...
                  >
                  > Thanks UPMan. This radio continues to prove itself awesome...

                • w2gld
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2010
                    UPMan,
                    Please clarify some information; the link you provided states the
                    following:

                    NFMThe scanner treats the frequency as Narrowband FM modulation (about
                    7.5 kHz deviation; also referred to as SNFM in some references).FMThe
                    scanner treats the frequency as FM modulation (about 15 kHz deviation;
                    also referred to as NFM in some references).WFMThe scanner treats the
                    frequency as Wideband FM modulation (over 100 kHz deviation; used for
                    pre-digital conversion TV broadcast reception and similar).FMBThe
                    scanner treats the frequency as FM broadcast modulation (about 75 kHz
                    deviation; used for FM radio station reception and similar).
                    From a communications perspective, should the following be true?
                    "FM" should be 5 kHz maximum deviation, with a channel spacing of 15,
                    20, or 25 kHz.
                    "NFM" should be 2.5 kHz maximum deviation, with a channel spacing of
                    6.25, 7.5, or 12.5 kHz.
                    This setting for most is very ambiguous and has little documentation
                    from Uniden. For whatever reason, Uniden has taken the standpoint that
                    almost all VHF, UHF, and SHF traffic should be "NFM" when it follows the
                    "AUTO" setting. Can you please explain why this is; other than future
                    FCC licenses will require this setting?
                    Would it be safe to assume that if a Project-25 (Conventional or
                    Trunking System) uses 12.5 kHz channel spacing then the setting should
                    ALWAYS be "NFM"
                    And if this is true, should Project-16 (Conventional or Trunking
                    Systems) that use 25.0 kHz channel spacing, should the setting ALWAYS be
                    "FM"
                    What I have found in researching the individual FCC licenses for many
                    agencies is that the emissions designator indicates the appropriate
                    bandwidth of a frequency and does not always follow the Uniden "AUTO"
                    setting.
                    For example, the "New Jersey State Police" use a Motorola Type II
                    SmartZone trunked radio system within the 800 MHz band. Their licenses
                    indicate 20K emissions designator, thus a setting of "FM" would be
                    appropriate in my opinion to allow for the extra bandwidth. The Uniden
                    scanners always default this to NFM under the "AUTO" setting and this
                    usually makes the audio horrible to listen to. This case is exactly the
                    same for the City of Philadelphia's system; which is "full digital -
                    APCO-25 audio" With the default "NFM" setting, this system is almost
                    useless to monitor; however, if one changes the setting to "FM" the
                    system track fine with little issues.
                    Another example is the "Burlington County, NJ", which is also a Motorola
                    Type II SmartZone system. Their bandplan indicates 12.5 kHz channel
                    spacing, thus the audio should be "NFM" correct?
                    By the explanation in the link you've provided, most communication would
                    in fact remain "FM" and not the default "AUTO" setting or "NFM".
                    If I am understanding the text correctly, ONLY the "SUPER-Narrowband"
                    frequencies such as VHF 7.5 kHz and UHF 6.25 kHz should use the setting
                    of "NFM", is this a true statement from what Uniden engineers have
                    designed???
                    To summarize, when should one use the "NFM" setting vs. the "FM" setting
                    for general public safety use? Is the "NFM" setting on for the
                    "SUPER-Narrowband" frequencies, such as those licensed for 7.5 kHz on
                    VHF and 6.25 kHz on UHF ONLY?
                    If you could please elaborate on this topic, I am sure many of us would
                    appreciate it.
                    Thank you for all your support here on the groups and RadioReference!
                    Regards,
                    Jerry - W2GLD

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                      Uniden mode / Common designation / Deviation / Bandwidth
                      NFM SNFM 2.5 kHz 11.0 kHz
                      FM NBFM 5.0 kHz 16.0 kHz
                      WFM Wide FM 25.0 kHz 100.0 kHz (or 90.0)
                      FMB Wide FM 75.0 kHz 200.0 kHz (or 190.0)

                      Channel spacing is a different issue, and while there are minimum limits
                      for the wider modes, any channel spacing can be used with any mode. For
                      example, SNFM can be used with 25 kHz channel spacing, or 20, or 15, or
                      12.5, or even 7.5 or 6.25 even though that is technically unsound.

                      But, if you have something operating on 6.25 or 7.5 kHz channels, it is
                      most likely SNFM.

                      WFM is for TV, and FMB is for the "FM" radio band (88-108 MHz).

                      Paul, if the quoted text is accurate, please update the specs.

                      Joe M.

                    • Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Joe,

                        From what I see here then, the following should be true:

                        508.9875 with an emission designator of 11K should be NFM

                        508.6500 with an emission designator of 20K should be FM

                        Is this a true statement???

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                          The first one definitely should be NFM.

                          The second one is likely FM, but it could legally be used for or
                          converted to a NFM system.

                          The emission designations are maximum allowed bandwidth, not necessarily
                          exact figures. So, a licensee for a 20K0 bandwidth channel (20.0 kHz to
                          put it in non-FCC-eeze) could be used for an 11K0 signal.

                          The rest of the emission designator will put other restrictions on the
                          licensee, too, but they don't apply to what we are talking about.

                          On second look, the .6500 channel is a splinter channel, and I didn't
                          think there were any licenses that wide (20K0) issued on T-band splinter
                          channels. Or were your examples hypothetical?

                          Joe M.

                        • Lance Star
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                            Thats cool.

                            My question was merely from a manual entry of the PL/DCS perspective...

                            > If you set the menu for the freqy in question to PL/DCS "SEARCH" when the proper setting pops up monitoring the freqy just press "E" and it goes right in.....
                            >
                            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > That would be a cool feature to add in the next software rev. So, when u hit the keys it takes u to the DCS number you want within the list...
                            > >
                            > > Thanks UPMan. This radio continues to prove itself awesome...

                          • Lance Star
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                              Perhaps all the VHF HI band PS systems in my radio will need to be globally changed to FM mode. Since I don't have any 6.25khz allocated freqs. In fact I have yet to come across any...

                              For everything else, there's programming software. Would be interested to hear Paul's response to this topic's last thread. Perhaps the default band plan setting for modulation should be FM for this radio...

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 5, 2010
                                Eventually, most channels will be NFM. In fact, it's required of most
                                services (but not all) by 2013 and many are changing over now.

                                You likely have several NFM channels in your area already.

                                I have around 10% NFMs in my area. Well, maybe that many.

                                Even if they are on traditional frequencies, they may be using NFM
                                rather than FM, or may be soon.

                                Joe M.