Audio level differences...

  • milcom_chaser
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
      I was scanning some conventional public service frequencies with close call in DND mode. I noticed when close call came across a local PD frequency, it's audio level was much louder than the same one programmed into the radio within a group. I have not check the AGC level settings, but wondered if anyone else has noticed this as well?
    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
        Since most band defaults in the scanner are NFM, I'd suspect that the service is
        transmitting FM and you have the channel programmed correctly as FM. But, on a
        Close Call hit, FM will overmodulate NFM demodulation and result in the audio
        being much louder.
         UPMan

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
          Ok, sounds like Close Call is following the band default mappings when in Auto
          mode for demodulation.

          What are the deviation settings in this radio for:

          NFM

          FM

          FMB

          I have not looked to see if these are in the specification section yet.

          Thanks UPMan!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
            http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/EditChannel#Set_Modulation
             UPMan

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
              Very helpful.

              Is there a way to directly enter a DCS code for a frequency once I'm in that
              menu, rather than having to scroll through all of the codes?

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                No, there isn't.
                 UPMan

                ________________________________
                Is there a way to directly enter a DCS code for a frequency once I'm in that
                menu, rather than having to scroll through all of the codes?

                ________________________________

                I was scanning some conventional public service frequencies with close call in
                DND mode. I noticed when close call came across a local PD frequency, it's audio

                level was much louder than the same one programmed into the radio within a
                group. I have not check the AGC level settings, but wondered if anyone else has
                noticed this as well?

                Messages in this topic (5)

                Recent Activity: * New Members 7
                Visit Your Group
                MARKETPLACE
                Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the
                Yahoo! Toolbar now.

                ________________________________

                Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new
                interests.

              • Lance Star
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2010
                  That would be a cool feature to add in the next software rev. So, when u hit the keys it takes u to the DCS number you want within the list...

                  Thanks UPMan. This radio continues to prove itself awesome...

                  > Is there a way to directly enter a DCS code for a frequency once I'm in that
                  > menu, rather than having to scroll through all of the codes?
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • dataman60435
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                    If you set the menu for the freqy in question to PL/DCS "SEARCH" when the proper setting pops up monitoring the freqy just press "E" and it goes right in.....

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

                    > That would be a cool feature to add in the next software rev. So, when u hit the keys it takes u to the DCS number you want within the list...
                    >
                    > Thanks UPMan. This radio continues to prove itself awesome...

                  • w2gld
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2010
                      UPMan,
                      Please clarify some information; the link you provided states the
                      following:

                      NFMThe scanner treats the frequency as Narrowband FM modulation (about
                      7.5 kHz deviation; also referred to as SNFM in some references).FMThe
                      scanner treats the frequency as FM modulation (about 15 kHz deviation;
                      also referred to as NFM in some references).WFMThe scanner treats the
                      frequency as Wideband FM modulation (over 100 kHz deviation; used for
                      pre-digital conversion TV broadcast reception and similar).FMBThe
                      scanner treats the frequency as FM broadcast modulation (about 75 kHz
                      deviation; used for FM radio station reception and similar).
                      From a communications perspective, should the following be true?
                      "FM" should be 5 kHz maximum deviation, with a channel spacing of 15,
                      20, or 25 kHz.
                      "NFM" should be 2.5 kHz maximum deviation, with a channel spacing of
                      6.25, 7.5, or 12.5 kHz.
                      This setting for most is very ambiguous and has little documentation
                      from Uniden. For whatever reason, Uniden has taken the standpoint that
                      almost all VHF, UHF, and SHF traffic should be "NFM" when it follows the
                      "AUTO" setting. Can you please explain why this is; other than future
                      FCC licenses will require this setting?
                      Would it be safe to assume that if a Project-25 (Conventional or
                      Trunking System) uses 12.5 kHz channel spacing then the setting should
                      ALWAYS be "NFM"
                      And if this is true, should Project-16 (Conventional or Trunking
                      Systems) that use 25.0 kHz channel spacing, should the setting ALWAYS be
                      "FM"
                      What I have found in researching the individual FCC licenses for many
                      agencies is that the emissions designator indicates the appropriate
                      bandwidth of a frequency and does not always follow the Uniden "AUTO"
                      setting.
                      For example, the "New Jersey State Police" use a Motorola Type II
                      SmartZone trunked radio system within the 800 MHz band. Their licenses
                      indicate 20K emissions designator, thus a setting of "FM" would be
                      appropriate in my opinion to allow for the extra bandwidth. The Uniden
                      scanners always default this to NFM under the "AUTO" setting and this
                      usually makes the audio horrible to listen to. This case is exactly the
                      same for the City of Philadelphia's system; which is "full digital -
                      APCO-25 audio" With the default "NFM" setting, this system is almost
                      useless to monitor; however, if one changes the setting to "FM" the
                      system track fine with little issues.
                      Another example is the "Burlington County, NJ", which is also a Motorola
                      Type II SmartZone system. Their bandplan indicates 12.5 kHz channel
                      spacing, thus the audio should be "NFM" correct?
                      By the explanation in the link you've provided, most communication would
                      in fact remain "FM" and not the default "AUTO" setting or "NFM".
                      If I am understanding the text correctly, ONLY the "SUPER-Narrowband"
                      frequencies such as VHF 7.5 kHz and UHF 6.25 kHz should use the setting
                      of "NFM", is this a true statement from what Uniden engineers have
                      designed???
                      To summarize, when should one use the "NFM" setting vs. the "FM" setting
                      for general public safety use? Is the "NFM" setting on for the
                      "SUPER-Narrowband" frequencies, such as those licensed for 7.5 kHz on
                      VHF and 6.25 kHz on UHF ONLY?
                      If you could please elaborate on this topic, I am sure many of us would
                      appreciate it.
                      Thank you for all your support here on the groups and RadioReference!
                      Regards,
                      Jerry - W2GLD

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Uniden mode / Common designation / Deviation / Bandwidth
                        NFM SNFM 2.5 kHz 11.0 kHz
                        FM NBFM 5.0 kHz 16.0 kHz
                        WFM Wide FM 25.0 kHz 100.0 kHz (or 90.0)
                        FMB Wide FM 75.0 kHz 200.0 kHz (or 190.0)

                        Channel spacing is a different issue, and while there are minimum limits
                        for the wider modes, any channel spacing can be used with any mode. For
                        example, SNFM can be used with 25 kHz channel spacing, or 20, or 15, or
                        12.5, or even 7.5 or 6.25 even though that is technically unsound.

                        But, if you have something operating on 6.25 or 7.5 kHz channels, it is
                        most likely SNFM.

                        WFM is for TV, and FMB is for the "FM" radio band (88-108 MHz).

                        Paul, if the quoted text is accurate, please update the specs.

                        Joe M.

                      • Jerry Dubzak - W2GLD
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                          Joe,

                          From what I see here then, the following should be true:

                          508.9875 with an emission designator of 11K should be NFM

                          508.6500 with an emission designator of 20K should be FM

                          Is this a true statement???

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                            The first one definitely should be NFM.

                            The second one is likely FM, but it could legally be used for or
                            converted to a NFM system.

                            The emission designations are maximum allowed bandwidth, not necessarily
                            exact figures. So, a licensee for a 20K0 bandwidth channel (20.0 kHz to
                            put it in non-FCC-eeze) could be used for an 11K0 signal.

                            The rest of the emission designator will put other restrictions on the
                            licensee, too, but they don't apply to what we are talking about.

                            On second look, the .6500 channel is a splinter channel, and I didn't
                            think there were any licenses that wide (20K0) issued on T-band splinter
                            channels. Or were your examples hypothetical?

                            Joe M.

                          • Lance Star
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                              Thats cool.

                              My question was merely from a manual entry of the PL/DCS perspective...

                              > If you set the menu for the freqy in question to PL/DCS "SEARCH" when the proper setting pops up monitoring the freqy just press "E" and it goes right in.....
                              >
                              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > That would be a cool feature to add in the next software rev. So, when u hit the keys it takes u to the DCS number you want within the list...
                              > >
                              > > Thanks UPMan. This radio continues to prove itself awesome...

                            • Lance Star
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                                Perhaps all the VHF HI band PS systems in my radio will need to be globally changed to FM mode. Since I don't have any 6.25khz allocated freqs. In fact I have yet to come across any...

                                For everything else, there's programming software. Would be interested to hear Paul's response to this topic's last thread. Perhaps the default band plan setting for modulation should be FM for this radio...

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 5, 2010
                                  Eventually, most channels will be NFM. In fact, it's required of most
                                  services (but not all) by 2013 and many are changing over now.

                                  You likely have several NFM channels in your area already.

                                  I have around 10% NFMs in my area. Well, maybe that many.

                                  Even if they are on traditional frequencies, they may be using NFM
                                  rather than FM, or may be soon.

                                  Joe M.