RE: [BCD396XT] 396XT and Remote Head, but...

  • Michael Martin
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 7 6:36 PM
      Yes you can use an AC-DC power supply. Uniden makes the AD-1009 (if I read
      it right) output of 13.8 VDC 750 mA. Center pin is +.

      /\/\|k.e

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7 8:02 PM
        You need to obtain a 12 VDC power supply, with about 1/2 amp or so capacity, to provide power to the remote head. This would be used to convert the 120 VAC from the wall outlet to 12 VDC that the remote head operates on.

        Try Radio Shack for a universal adapater or power convertor. It needs to provide around 12 volts with equal to or more than 500 milliamps.

        You can connect the power convertor up the same way that you would when it is used in the vehicle. Make sure that you correctly observe the DC polarity.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 8 6:51 AM
          As always this list is a wealth of information, thank you both!! While I know a great deal about radios, I know little about "things electrical" and, if I can help it, would prefer not to. I'll give Radio Shack a try first and will also order the Uniden adapter to keep as a backup.

          Thanks again and appreciate the quick replies! The remote head is still one of my favorite pieces of equipment Uniden has produced and I've found a use for one here.

          Shell

          QUOTE:

          Posted by: "Michael Martin" mm505@... mm505
          Sat Aug 7, 2010 9:44 pm (PDT)

          Yes you can use an AC-DC power supply. Uniden makes the AD-1009 (if I read it right) output of 13.8 VDC 750 mA. Center pin is +.

          /\/\|k.e

          AND

          QUOTE:

          Posted by: ". ." pdejonck@... pdejonck
          Sat Aug 7, 2010 9:48 pm (PDT)

        • shelleysh1@att.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 8 7:25 AM
            Hi Matthew,
            A remote head unit is a unit which provides complete control, including volume and squelch, for several of the Uniden scanners. It also has a larger screen. It (obviously) connects to the scanner and can be placed conveniently pretty much wherever one wants it. Most often one uses it in their car or truck, which is what I've done for the past several years and continue to do so. I have another one (actually two) and want to use them at home and at work. It's much easier for me to glance up at the readout on the remote head and see what's going on, where I have it located, than to read it on my 396XTs. I have always preferred the 396XTs for several reasons and thus have made sure I purchased a remote head whenever I bought one.

            If you'd like to see what they look like you can do a Google search on the web and several locations will pop up, both showing you what they look like as well as some locations which have them for sale right now. Uniden no longer has them in stock but several of their distributors do.

            As I mentioned in my previous post, the remote head really is one of my favorite items Uniden has produced! I particularly like it in the car because where I have it located, it's much safer. I have it mounted on the dashboard, all the way forward, just slightly below my line of sight. So if a call comes in I can lower my eyes just slightly, to see what it is, and still be able to watch the road.

            Hope that gives you some info on the Uniden Remote Head. There's a lot more on sites like Scannermaster and others.

            Shell

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

            > Hi Shell,
            >
            > I hesitated to answer because I didn't think it could be this simple.
            >
            > I have the radio and AC adaptor.  (I don't know what a remote head
            > is. Are you talking about the 996xt?)
            >
            > Matthew
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Matthew Kurzon
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 8 11:07 AM
              Hi Shell,

              Thanks!  I am using ProScan, which is a programming software for the 396xt.  It
              also has
              a nice big picture (real time) of the unit as a base station, with working
              buttons and knobs,
              including volume and squelch.  I don't always plug in and use this thing,
              because the radio
              is just fine as a scanner the way it is.

              I am interested in looking into the remote head you are talking about, if you
              can give me a little
              more info I can use to look it up.

              Thanks,

              Matthew

              ________________________________

            • shelleysh1@att.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 9 12:54 AM
                Hi Matthew,
                Actually, all of the software programs (FreeSCAN, ARC and ProScan) for the 396XT (and several other scanners) have the Digital picture on the computer screen. Some of them are more sophisticated than others in what you can do with them. I have and actually use all three because there are certain features on each one which I like better than the others.

                I use the remote head in the car so I don't have to take my eyes off the road if something is going on and I want to see what department it is. At home and at the office I might not be next to the radio, but if I have the remote head hooked up I can glance over to the bookshelf next to my desk and see who it is. I cannot see the readout on the radio from that distance and I do not run the software on my computer - that's for work, not for the scanner software. So the remote head fits my needs perfectly.

                You can read all about it on the Scannermaster website:

                http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BC_RH96_Remote_Head_p/10-691108.htm

                Shell

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon nemattjiva@...> wrote:

                > Hi Shell,
                >
                > Thanks!  I am using ProScan, which is a programming software for the 396xt.  It
                > also has
                > a nice big picture (real time) of the unit as a base station, with working
                > buttons and knobs,
                > including volume and squelch.  I don't always plug in and use this thing,
                > because the radio
                > is just fine as a scanner the way it is.
                >
                > I am interested in looking into the remote head you are talking about, if you
                > can give me a little
                > more info I can use to look it up.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Matthew
                > ________________________________

                Again, many thanks to Mike Martin and pdejonck!

                I went by Radio Shack this afternoon and less than 5 minutes later I left with the proper AC power supply for the remote head. Appreciate your help - it was exactly what I needed!

                Shell

                > (Other posts removed since they can be found in previous digests.)

              • Matthew Kurzon
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 9 10:09 AM
                  Hi Shell,

                  It is a very beautiful piece of equipment, no doubt!!

                  Thanks for the information..  I am going to save it and possibly one day
                  purchase
                  this very nice equipment!

                  Wonderful, many thanks for this..

                  Matthew

                  ________________________________
                  Actually, all of the software programs (FreeSCAN, ARC and ProScan) for the 396XT
                  (and several other scanners) have the Digital picture on the computer screen.
                  Some of them are more sophisticated than others in what you can do with them. I
                  have and actually use all three because there are certain features on each one
                  which I like better than the others.

                  I use the remote head in the car so I don't have to take my eyes off the road if
                  something is going on and I want to see what department it is. At home and at
                  the office I might not be next to the radio, but if I have the remote head
                  hooked up I can glance over to the bookshelf next to my desk and see who it is.
                  I cannot see the readout on the radio from that distance and I do not run the
                  software on my computer - that's for work, not for the scanner software. So the
                  remote head fits my needs perfectly.

                  You can read all about it on the Scannermaster website:

                  http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BC_RH96_Remote_Head_p/10-691108.htm

                  Shell

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon nemattjiva@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Shell,
                  >
                  > Thanks!  I am using ProScan, which is a programming software for the 396xt.
                  >It
                  >
                  > also has
                  > a nice big picture (real time) of the unit as a base station, with working
                  > buttons and knobs,
                  > including volume and squelch.  I don't always plug in and use this thing,
                  > because the radio
                  > is just fine as a scanner the way it is.
                  >
                  > I am interested in looking into the remote head you are talking about, if you
                  > can give me a little
                  > more info I can use to look it up.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Matthew
                  > ________________________________

                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 10 4:22 PM
                    While everyone is on the topic of the 396XT and the remote head, is it possible to use a GPS with the 396XT/Remote Head combination? The 396XT has only one serial port and both the remote head and GPS want to use the same port.
                  • Dewey
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 10 5:27 PM
                      No...

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 10 5:31 PM
                        As Dewey said, no. You can split a GPS to use on two scanners, but you
                        cannot combine a GPS with a two-way device such as the RH.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 10 5:40 PM
                          Hey Joe,

                          Nice to hear from you.

                          I have to find that serial port wire.  I put it somewhere when I got the
                          USB wire, thinking it was useless.

                          By the way, what is the use of it anyway?

                          Matthew<<  as usual, exposing ignorance to the very maximum of bearability and
                          beyond

                          ________________________________

                          Alex wrote:
                          > While everyone is on the topic of the 396XT and the remote head, is it possible
                          >to use a GPS with the 396XT/Remote Head combination? The 396XT has only one
                          >serial port and both the remote head and GPS want to use the same port.

                        • Clark Rennie
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 10 6:32 PM
                            Does the BCD396XT or the T have the PL Tone lockout feature ?
                            I have gone thru the Menu settings and don't see that feature but some 3rd
                            party software seems to have it in menus.
                            Both FreeSCAN and ARCXT have a Tone LO column but it doesn't seem to
                            lockout the PL I have entered.

                            Clark
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10 7:09 PM
                              I know the 396XT has it and I'm pretty sure the 396T has it as well.

                              The CTCSS/CDCSS options are under audio settings. Set it for analog
                              only, then "Set Lockout", then select CTCSS/CDCSS, then set the
                              tone/code you don't want to hear.

                              Joe M.

                              Clark Rennie wrote:
                              > Does the BCD396XT or the T have the PL Tone lockout feature ?
                              > I have gone thru the Menu settings and don't see that feature but some 3rd
                              > party software seems to have it in menus.
                              > Both FreeSCAN and ARCXT have a Tone LO column but it doesn't seem to
                              > lockout the PL I have entered.
                              >
                              > Clark

                            • Clark Rennie
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 10 8:14 PM
                                Thanks Joe,
                                I missed it by having the Audio Type set to "All".
                                I should have learned that by now.

                                Clark

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 11 6:04 AM
                                  What is the use of what? The Remote Head?

                                  Typically, when you are dealing with compact places in vehicles, there
                                  may not be enough room to mount a mobile scanner. The RH allows the
                                  scanner to be mounted remotely and the much smaller head will control
                                  the scanner and mimick the display.

                                  Joe M.

                                  Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                                  > Hey Joe,
                                  >
                                  > Nice to hear from you.
                                  >
                                  > I have to find that serial port wire. I put it somewhere when I got the
                                  > USB wire, thinking it was useless.
                                  >
                                  > By the way, what is the use of it anyway?
                                  >
                                  > Matthew<< as usual, exposing ignorance to the very maximum of bearability and
                                  > beyond
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • Derek Helling
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 27, 2010
                                    I have decided to buy a Home Patrol and, to help finance the new purchase, I
                                    intend to sell my 396XT. I have never really enjoyed the 396xt because it is
                                    much smarter than me, which I find intimidating and humiliating. I look forward
                                    to listening instead of messing with the countless controls.
                                    Does anyone know what a 396xt in good condition sells for?

                                    Derek

                                  • Anthony
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 27, 2010
                                      Derek,

                                      I am looking to purchase a BCD396xt

                                      Let me know when you're ready to sell.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 27, 2010
                                        You can buy them brand new on fleabay for $505 and upwards (plus shipping) but it all depends on how old your XT is, the condition it's in, has it only been used indoors or has it been mobile (dust, vibration, temperatures, sunlight etc.), whether it comes in the original box with all the original accessories etc. etc.?

                                        In the end it comes down to what you want for it versus what people will pay? I personally would not pay more than $400 and even then it would have to be "as new" and still under warranty?

                                        Andrew

                                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Derek Helling <dereklh2001@...> wrote:

                                        > I have decided to buy a Home Patrol and, to help finance the new purchase, I
                                        > intend to sell my 396XT. I have never really enjoyed the 396xt because it is
                                        > much smarter than me, which I find intimidating and humiliating. I look forward
                                        > to listening instead of messing with the countless controls.
                                        > Does anyone know what a 396xt in good condition sells for?
                                        >
                                        > Derek

                                      • Derek Helling
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 28, 2010
                                          Thanks for your responses. I'm pretty sure it is out of warranty, but it is in
                                          good condition and I have all the accessories. I will have to hunt them down.
                                          I will let you know when it is on ebay.

                                          Derek