Re: [BCD396XT] BCProgTool.TCL for cross platform XT Operation and MinimalProgramming Support

  • Joe Polcari
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3, 2010
      Once you get used to it, it works great!

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 16, 2010
        Throwing my $0.02 in for the record.

        I just received my BC396XT this weekend.
        I had not purchased a scanner since I bought a TrunkTracker II ten years ago. However I do have a good handle on trunking technologies and methodologies, re-banding, P25 IMBE, etc... I have had my hands on some of the newer scanners over the last decade to play with.
        I knew that wrapping my hands around DMA would probably be my biggest challenge. I was wrong. BCPROGTOOL was my biggest challenge.

        I does work, but with limitations.
        Once I understood those limitations, I was off and running.
        The first and hardest lessens are that it will NOT reliably create Trunk Systems and Sites. Your best bet is to do that on the scanner. You can let the scanner use the default number/name combinations when you create those items, and then use BCPROGTOOL to edit them.

        If you try to perform these tasks with the software, you will receive a variety of error messages along the lines of unable to create, but in less understandable syntax than that.

        One thing to watch out for at all times with this software, is that the program will "stall" for lack of a better word. I always kept the main panel of the program off to the side, so that I could see if the message appeared in the status line at the bottom of the panel indicated that it needed to "restart". There is a Restart button on the BCPROGTOOL keypad so that you can easily re-initialize the connection. This is different that using "Connect" to initially connect to the scanner. If the program stalls while in one of the other editing screens, you will not be able to write your changes to the scanner, and the program may freeze. So make sure that you check the status of the main panel before performing any actions against the scanner.

        Once the Systems and Sites are initialized in the scanner, then most everything works as expected. Of course, the best way to load Talk Groups is with a data file. In fact, there is a bug there with the Talk Groups too. You are supposed to be able to past information from a table into the program. That part initially appears to work, and then you can choose which columns of data are valid and assign the appropriate data types to the appropriate columns. It really looks promising when you get this far... However when you tell it to import, the program just gives a "blank stare". Nothing is imported.

        What you can do, is manually created a Group or two, and then manually populate the Group(s) with just a few Talk Groups. Make sure that you set all of the options that you might want for each Talk Group, including screen colors. Next, "Download from Radio" in the "Program Radio" menu. This will create backups of all of the Systems in the scanner. At least one of the files that will be backed up will be a new .CSV file, with the name of the Group(s) that you created as part of the file name. This is your template. Now you can cut and paste from what ever frequency sources that you have, creating your own group configurations in that file, using the editor of your choice.

        Next, go back to edit the System of interest in BCPROGTOOL. In the Talk Group screen, there is a button that allows you to load / import a file. Choose the file that you manually edited and then you will see it populate your Talk Group information in the Group tables.

        This will get you going. Most other things work as advertised.
        It is safe to say that I got what I paid for, and spent some time figuring this stuff out. But I also now have a scanner that just arrived about 24 hours ago, fully setup with multiple trunked systems, analog and P25, and a conventional system. I have some more Systems to setup, but from here it will be relatively easy.
        I found time to do this while dealing with the normal weekend tasks of yard work, vehicle repair, family time, a few hours sleep, etc...

        73,

        Dean

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Polcari" <Joe@...> wrote:

        > Once you get used to it, it works great!

      • Lance Star
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2010
          FreeSCAN works nicely with the 396XT...

          2 cents worth...

> [...]
          >
          > This will get you going. Most other things work as advertised.
          > It is safe to say that I got what I paid for, and spent some time figuring this stuff out. But I also now have a scanner that just arrived about 24 hours ago, fully setup with multiple trunked systems, analog and P25, and a conventional system. I have some more Systems to setup, but from here it will be relatively easy.
          > I found time to do this while dealing with the normal weekend tasks of yard work, vehicle repair, family time, a few hours sleep, etc...
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Dean
          >
          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Polcari" <Joe@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Once you get used to it, it works great!

        • Matthew Kurzon
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2010
            2 programs are arc xt and proscan, but they cost money!

            ________________________________
> [...]

            file that you manually edited and then you will see it populate your Talk Group
            information in the Group tables.

            This will get you going. Most other things work as advertised.
            It is safe to say that I got what I paid for, and spent some time figuring this
            stuff out. But I also now have a scanner that just arrived about 24 hours ago,
            fully setup with multiple trunked systems, analog and P25, and a conventional
            system. I have some more Systems to setup, but from here it will be relatively
            easy.

            I found time to do this while dealing with the normal weekend tasks of yard
            work, vehicle repair, family time, a few hours sleep, etc...

            73,

            Dean

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Polcari" <Joe@...> wrote:

            > Once you get used to it, it works great!

          • Richard Victor
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2010
              FreeScan doesn't cost money and works well. If you need the
              additional features, ProScan also works well and is, in my opinion, well
              worth the money. Many people are very pleased with ARC-XT.

              BCTool+ has recently been released and now includes support for the
              latest scanners. When last I checked the author was quickly resolving
              various bugs that are inherent in most new software. Don't know if he's
              gotten them all resolved as yet or not. It now has a paid version and a
              crippleware free version.

              I haven't tried BCPROGTOOL, but it appears that one of its big
              advantages is the cross platform support for those that need or want it.

              YMMV
              Dick

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 17, 2010
                i noticed that arc xt pro has some nice new features,
                and proscan is fantastic in it's super complex abilities,
                yet it can simply program a bcd396xt as well

                so can arc xt; i like having both of these.. and having
                a lifetime membership is nice (both)

                question for ymmv, dick:

                this is simpleminded ok, but does cross platform=
                across different operating systems?

                thanks for your write up analyzing the various software
                programs by the way..

                matthew

                ________________________________
                FreeScan doesn't cost money and works well. If you need the
                additional features, ProScan also works well and is, in my opinion, well
                worth the money. Many people are very pleased with ARC-XT.

                BCTool+ has recently been released and now includes support for the
                latest scanners. When last I checked the author was quickly resolving
                various bugs that are inherent in most new software. Don't know if he's
                gotten them all resolved as yet or not. It now has a paid version and a
                crippleware free version.

                I haven't tried BCPROGTOOL, but it appears that one of its big
                advantages is the cross platform support for those that need or want it.

                YMMV
                Dick

                On 10/17/2010 5:32 PM, Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                > 2 programs are arc xt and proscan, but they cost money!
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Keith
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                  Hi, What computer OS platform did you work the program on?
                  Did you use the Uniden USB-1 or a Prolific USB Adaptor?
                  There is a problem with the prolific/USB-1 adaptor with Mac, but I didn't
                  have any problems with Windows and Linux with those adaptors using the
                  program when I wrote it.

                  Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

                  Keith
                  kilowattradio@...

                  On 10/16/10 7:58 PM, "warpedspeed" <warpedspeed1@...> wrote:

                  > Throwing my $0.02 in for the record.
                  >
                  > I just received my BC396XT this weekend.
                  > I had not purchased a scanner since I bought a TrunkTracker II ten years ago.
                  > However I do have a good handle on trunking technologies and methodologies,
                  > re-banding, P25 IMBE, etc... I have had my hands on some of the newer
                  > scanners over the last decade to play with.
                  > I knew that wrapping my hands around DMA would probably be my biggest
                  > challenge. I was wrong. BCPROGTOOL was my biggest challenge.

                  --
                  Best Regards, Keith
                  http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
                • warpedspeed
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                    Some good interesting feedback occuring here.

                    I should have initially indicated that I apreciate Keith's efforts to provide a multi platform GPL application for the XT units.
                    I know that there are other propriatary Windows alternatives, even free ones, but I try to use open applications when I can.
                    My main PC at home runs Linux as the primary OS, but it also has Windows support as needed. By using BCPROGTOOL, I do not need to litter that PC with another Windows app.

                    BCPROGTOOL is still a little rough around the edges. That is why I share my experience with others, so that there is knowledge of some of the current quirks, and methods to work around them.
                    I will be sharing some additional information with Keith regarding the issues that I encountered. Hopefully that will lead to additional improvements in the program.

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

                    > FreeSCAN works nicely with the 396XT...
                    >
                    > 2 cents worth...

                  • Richard Victor
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                      Matthew,

                      Yes, that's what I meant by cross platform. That would be a major
                      advantage of BCPROGTOOL for some users if all else were equal. BCTool+
                      claims to work under WINE on Linux and *BSD.

                      I know that some have successfully run FreeScan on Macs running
                      Windows. The same may be true of ProScan and ARC-XT, but I don't recall.

                      The advantage of FreeScan, ProScan and ARC-XT, it seems to me, is that
                      they've been around awhile and have therefore had most of the bugs
                      resolved. From the original post in this thread it appears that
                      BCPROGTOOL may not have yet reached that stage and BCTool+ was still
                      ironing out some issues within the last few weeks when I was following
                      its development more closely than I am now.

                      The one thing that one can say for sure about the various programs is
                      that each person has different criteria by which they evaluate how well
                      a program meets his/her needs so it's really a good idea to try as many
                      as you can to find what's best for you.

                      Dick

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                        Dick,

                        I can think of a few advantages of ProScan: it can run multiple stations
                        from one radio, and it can stream your reception out to a friend over
                        the internet.  These stand out to me; since I just upgraded Arc XT to
                        Pro I don't know if it can do either of these but the list doesn't stop with
                        those.  I am happy with ProScan but since I started with Arc XT and
                        since it gives a different way of looking at the same basic situation,
                        programming frequencies into the radio, I like to keep it up to date as
                        well.  Amazing features like the ones I mentioned above, and more
                        I'm sure other people can state about ProScan if they wish to, can
                        possibly not be found anywhere else.  Arc XT does have a "virtual radio"
                        now, a live radio on the computer screen which does have an advantage:
                        it shows the frequency of the station broadcasting.  I would like to
                        see that in ProScan!  The radio, of course, does not show it. (Anyone
                        care to prove me wrong?)

                        Matthew

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 18, 2010
                          I responded about 8 hours ago.
                          Hopefully this one makes it to the group.
                          I spent a while typing that last one too... on my phone...
                          Oh well, to sum it up;
                          Thanks to Keith Wyatt for putting in the effort on this.

                          I prefer to use multi-platform GPL applications, not proprietary Windows apps. If there were no alternatives, then I could run one of the Windows apps, but I prefer not to litter my PC with too many of those.

                          BCProgTool is still a little rough around the edges, but it is getting there. All part of the process.
                          Hopefully the information that I shared will help someone else if they are challenged by it. I suspect that as Keith works with it, it will become an easier app to use.

                          I have shared some additional information with him regarding the issues that I encountered.

                          Dean

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                            I have to wonder... WHY would someone call a program BCPROGTOOL when
                            there is an existing scanner program called BCTOOL? It seems very
                            confusing to me.

                            Joe M.

                          • johnstark
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                              I agree, not good thinking since BCTool by Rob has been around for years.
                              The author may want to consider a new name for this one.

                              >I have to wonder... WHY would someone call a program BCPROGTOOL when
                              > there is an existing scanner program called BCTOOL? It seems very
                              > confusing to me.
                              >
                              > Joe M.
                              >
                              > warpedspeed wrote:
                              >> Some good interesting feedback occuring here.
                              >>
                              >> I should have initially indicated that I apreciate Keith's efforts to
                              >> provide a multi platform GPL application for the XT units.
                              >> I know that there are other propriatary Windows alternatives, even free
                              >> ones, but I try to use open applications when I can.
                              >> My main PC at home runs Linux as the primary OS, but it also has Windows
                              >> support as needed. By using BCPROGTOOL, I do not need to litter that PC
                              >> with another Windows app.
                              >>
                              >> BCPROGTOOL is still a little rough around the edges. That is why I share
                              >> my experience with others, so that there is knowledge of some of the
                              >> current quirks, and methods to work around them.
                              >> I will be sharing some additional information with Keith regarding the
                              >> issues that I encountered. Hopefully that will lead to additional
                              >> improvements in the program.
                              >>

                              >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance Star <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
                              >>>
                              >>> FreeSCAN works nicely with the 396XT...
                              >>>
                              >>> 2 cents worth...

                            • Keith
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                                [posted to <BCD396XT.yahoogroups.com> & emailed]
                                On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 02:58:39 -0000, "warpedspeed" <warpedspeed1@...>
                                wrote:

                                > I does work, but with limitations.
                                > Once I understood those limitations, I was off and running.
                                > The first and hardest lessens are that it will NOT reliably create Trunk Systems and Sites. Your best bet is to do that on the scanner. You can let the scanner use the default number/name combinations when you create those items, and then use BCPROGTOOL to edit them.
                                >
                                > If you try to perform these tasks with the software, you will receive a variety of error messages along the lines of unable to create, but in less understandable syntax than that.
                                >
                                > One thing to watch out for at all times with this software, is that the program will "stall" for lack of a better word. I always kept the main panel of the program off to the side, so that I could see if the message appeared in the status line at the bottom of the panel indicated that it needed to "restart". There is a Restart button on the BCPROGTOOL keypad so that you can easily re-initialize the connection. This is different that using "Connect" to initially connect to the scanner. If the program stalls while in one of the other editing screens, you will not be able to write your changes to the scanner, and the program may freeze. So make sure that you check the status of the main panel before performing any actions against the scanner.

                                Ok Let me explain. By design the software will stop the reading of the
                                comport radios status when you go into program system, talk groups or
                                system edit mode.
                                This is to prevent the problems you encountered with programming the radio
                                that would not program in the system reliably. When you finish or exit the
                                program screen mode the radio should restart the comport status display on
                                the main screen, if not THEN you press the restart key.

                                While the radio is being polled by the comport you would send your
                                programming commands to the radio and the inputting of the programmed
                                information can lead to a comport lockup or misreading of the command
                                response. Instead of receiving a OK,BLAH,BLAH the program receives
                                STS,BLAH,BLAH.

                                To prevent the problem don't have the software polling the serial port
                                while attempting to program the radio, which is the default setting in the
                                software. If you have several TK widgets displayed and poll the radios
                                comport it causes the computer to slow down or hang also.

                                This is a limitation of the TK software, but with other scanner control
                                programs you will notice the same problems of hanging when polling the
                                comport for status display updates and programming or moving around a
                                program window while polling the radio's comport.

                                --

                                Best Regards, Keith

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                                  I will need help in answering this but I'm pretty sure that you
                                  can put up more than one station on your computer using
                                  ProScan.

                                  ________________________________
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                                    Matthew, what version of ProScan are you using that doesn't have a virtual display on the computer screen???

                                    Even the *free* ProScan client has the virtual display, everything that's on the scanner display is on the computer screen verbatim.

                                    And the big advantage is that ProScan displays this all the time, not just when you open a separate window for the virtual display!

                                    I was a big ARC fan myself until maybe six months ago, I had taken a brief look at ProScan in the past but it wasn't until I got sick of purchasing a new version of ARC every time I updated scanners that I took a serious look at ProScan and after using it for a while now I won't be going back to ARC software (just my personal opinion).

                                    Andrew

                                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                                    > ~ Arc XT does have a "virtual radio" now, a live radio on the computer screen which does have an advantage: it shows the frequency of the station broadcasting.  I would like to see that in ProScan!  The radio, of course, does not show it. (Anyone care to prove me wrong?)
                                    >
                                    > Matthew

                                  • Matthew Kurzon
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 19, 2010
                                      Andrew,

                                      I didn't say or imply that ProScan has no virtual display, I only mentioned
                                      that Arc XT finally caught up, at least in the Pro version.

                                      Sorry for the confusion.  ProScan has a beautiful radio on the computer
                                      screen; a request would be to have it display the frequency of the station
                                      you are listening to.

                                      Matthew

                                      ________________________________
                                      Matthew, what version of ProScan are you using that doesn't have a virtual
                                      display on the computer screen???

                                      Even the *free* ProScan client has the virtual display, everything that's on the
                                      scanner display is on the computer screen verbatim.

                                      And the big advantage is that ProScan displays this all the time, not just when
                                      you open a separate window for the virtual display!

                                      I was a big ARC fan myself until maybe six months ago, I had taken a brief look
                                      at ProScan in the past but it wasn't until I got sick of purchasing a new
                                      version of ARC every time I updated scanners that I took a serious look at
                                      ProScan and after using it for a while now I won't be going back to ARC software
                                      (just my personal opinion).

                                      Andrew

                                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                                      > ~ Arc XT does have a "virtual radio" now, a live radio on the computer screen
                                      >which does have an advantage: it shows the frequency of the station
                                      >broadcasting.  I would like to see that in ProScan!  The radio, of course,
                                      >does not show it. (Anyone care to prove me wrong?)
                                      >
                                      > Matthew

                                    • bigfella237
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 20, 2010
                                        Matthew, that's not an issue with ProScan, it will only show whatever is on the scanner display, if you want to see the frequency try changing the display mode on the scanner (Func + 6)?

                                        I think you're looking for mode 2 which displays the frequency on the third line?

                                        Andrew

                                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                                        > Andrew,
                                        >
                                        > I didn't say or imply that ProScan has no virtual display, I only mentioned
                                        > that Arc XT finally caught up, at least in the Pro version.
                                        >
                                        > Sorry for the confusion.  ProScan has a beautiful radio on the computer
                                        > screen; a request would be to have it display the frequency of the station
                                        > you are listening to.
                                        >
                                        > Matthew

                                      • Matthew Kurzon
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 20, 2010
                                          Andrew,

                                          My mistake entirely.  I don't know what I had wrong previously but it's working
                                          now.

                                          Thanks for bringing this up again.

                                          I stand fully but happily corrected, because I really like seeing the
                                          frequencies
                                          on the ProScan display!

                                          Matthew

                                          ________________________________
                                          Matthew, that's not an issue with ProScan, it will only show whatever is on the
                                          scanner display, if you want to see the frequency try changing the display mode
                                          on the scanner (Func + 6)?

                                          I think you're looking for mode 2 which displays the frequency on the third
                                          line?

                                          Andrew

                                          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Kurzon <mattjiva@...> wrote:

                                          > Andrew,
                                          >
                                          > I didn't say or imply that ProScan has no virtual display, I only mentioned
                                          > that Arc XT finally caught up, at least in the Pro version.
                                          >
                                          > Sorry for the confusion.  ProScan has a beautiful radio on the computer
                                          > screen; a request would be to have it display the frequency of the station
                                          > you are listening to.
                                          >
                                          > Matthew

                                        • warpedspeed
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 24, 2010
                                            Keith has released a new version of BCProgTool, 0.8.u, that addresses most of the issues that I detailed previously. Specifically, the creation of Systems and Sites, and some editing issues with Talk Groups are now working properly.

                                            The behavior that I described as a "stall" that required a Restart, was normal behavior, as addressed by Keith in a later message. So that is not an issue at all, and I was mistaken in thinking that I had to manually perform a restart. The program handles this automatically and does it well.

                                            73,

                                            Dean