Re: Is This a Good Deal?

  • fhgdel
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
      I agree....I only use FreeScan and it's awesome in my opinion. I have tried others.

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pitboss1 <pitboss1@...> wrote:

      > just use freescan.......why pay?
      >
      > zz455@... wrote:
      >
      > >Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?
    • David Klippel
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
        Is there a comparison of the different software programs available. I
        am using FreeScan and find it very good for a free program. I have
        download Butel ARC XT Pro but haven't spent enough time to determine
        the benefits of it over FreeScan. It would be nice to have a chart that
        outlines the features of Butel ARC XT, ARC XT Pro, FreeScan, and ProScan
        showing what is common and different between each.

        I am new to the 396XT trunking and digital scanning. Having this
        comparison would be helpful. I am still trying to understand the
        trunking and getting it to scan those systems. That is a separate topic
        though maybe a better understanding of the software options would help.

        --
        David

      • Jeff Miller
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
          There is one thing bad about Scancat, it doesn't do Multisite systems like Freescan or Proscan or ARC XT etc.   I personally like Scan Cat but it is NOT useful for me with the 396XT  since it doesn't allow me to setup my scanner the way I want. I use ARC XT. I have used the others and they are all good.  Test them out and see which you like best since they all have free trials and Freescan is Free.

          From: zz455@... <zz455@...>

          Subject: [BCD396XT] Is This a Good Deal?

          To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 10:49 PM

          Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?

          _UNIDEN RADIO-SHACK SCANNER PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE BONUS! - eBay (item

          120601988105 end time Aug-04-10 19:47:04 PDT)_

          (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120601988105)

          <POST EDITED BY MODERATOR TO CHANGE SUBJECT TITLE AND REMOVE UNRELATED POSTS>

        • Uniden UPMan
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
            The closest I've seen to that is
            http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_Software_Support
             UPMan

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
              http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_Software_Support

              (this is the message I meant to put that link on...)
               UPMan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                I understand ProScan has features no other SW has. I don't know this
                first hand.

                Joe M.

                fhgdel wrote:
                > I agree....I only use FreeScan and it's awesome in my opinion. I have tried others.
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pitboss1 <pitboss1@...> wrote:
                >> just use freescan.......why pay?
                >>
                >> zz455@... wrote:
                >>
                >>> Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?

              • Pitboss1
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                  Thanks. ..true

                  fhgdel <delfieldsjr@...> wrote:

                  >I agree....I only use FreeScan and it's awesome in my opinion. I have tried others.
                  >
                  >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pitboss1 <pitboss1@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> just use freescan.......why pay?
                  >>
                  >> zz455@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >> >Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?

                • Matthew Kurzon
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                    I have Arc XT and ProScan, and they both use Radio Reference to get their
                    frequencies.

                    There is a taxi company in Englewood NJ that I have used, and I would like to
                    listen to
                    the dispatcher.  I haven't found his frequency anywhere.  So a few weeks ago I
                    was over
                    on Palisade Ave and I took a walk over there, and asked if I could look at his
                    radio, and
                    he actually allowed it!   It was covered by a taped up piece of black garbage
                    bag, but he

                    took it off, I guess because I have been friendly to him in the past and a good
                    customer.
                    He told me with great authority that he had channel 1 or channel 2.  Anyway I
                    couldn't
                    find any frequencies, and being afraid to disrupt his setup too much and get him
                    upset,
                    I gave up.   I have searched FCC licenses for Englewood NJ and still not found
                    this taxi
                    company, but found others which I tried but no success.

                    Ok well.. if other scan programs use databases other than Radio Reference then
                    that would
                    be a good reason to try them.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                      You've got a 396 - use Close Call to capture the frequency (and
                      tone/code if any is used).

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                        I have no idea where to search!  How do I do that?

                        Matthew

                        ________________________________

                        Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                        > I have Arc XT and ProScan, and they both use Radio Reference to get their
                        > frequencies.
                        >
                        > There is a taxi company in Englewood NJ that I have used, and I would like to
                        > listen to
                        > the dispatcher. I haven't found his frequency anywhere. So a few weeks ago I
                        > was over
                        > on Palisade Ave and I took a walk over there, and asked if I could look at his

                        > radio, and
                        > he actually allowed it! It was covered by a taped up piece of black garbage
                        > bag, but he
                        >
                        > took it off, I guess because I have been friendly to him in the past and a good
                        >
                        > customer.
                        > He told me with great authority that he had channel 1 or channel 2. Anyway I
                        > couldn't
                        > find any frequencies, and being afraid to disrupt his setup too much and get
                        >him
                        >
                        > upset,
                        > I gave up. I have searched FCC licenses for Englewood NJ and still not found
                        > this taxi
                        > company, but found others which I tried but no success.
                        >
                        > Ok well.. if other scan programs use databases other than Radio Reference then

                        > that would
                        > be a good reason to try them.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Matthew Kurzon
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                          That's a brilliant idea btw!!!!!!!

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                            Two choices:

                            1. Enable all ranges. You are sure to get a hit on them if you're on
                            site (and their transmitter is as well - as you MAY have only seen a
                            remote control for their transmitter). Did it have only telephone lines
                            coming out of it or was there round coaxial cable. OR, is their antenna
                            on-site?

                            2. Likely they are on the VHF, UHF, or 800 MHz band. You could only
                            enable those ranges if you like.

                            When Close Call is active, use the 1-7 keys to enable/disable ranges.

                            Joe M.

                          • Matthew Kurzon
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                              Hi Joe,

                              Sorry I didn't see this email.

                              It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                              I did not.  The box was only about 7" x  8" x 5" (height).  Old equipment,
                              what an old, large table top microphone!   Which doesn't mean the crystals
                              couldn't be switched easily.  I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                              are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.

                              What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                              the PDF or the online manual?

                              Thanks so much for your attention to this,

                              Matthew

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                Before trying any research, I would try Close Call. If you don't get a
                                hit from their base, you may from a car just entering or leaving.

                                If you can find one frequency, the others will be much easier.

                                Joe M.

                                Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                > Hi Joe,
                                >
                                > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                >
                                > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                >
                                > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                > the PDF or the online manual?
                                >
                                > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                >
                                > Matthew
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Matthew Kurzon
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                  I found that I can easily search any range I want using ProScan
                                  to start the range.  Now I need to figure out what frequencies
                                  taxi companies are using around here.  I once found a page of them.

                                  By the way, I'm getting a lot a false close calls, continuous signals,
                                  and stuff that my radio decides to look for while I'm searching say 800+
                                  it will look also on the standard FM band!

                                  Thanks for your help,

                                  Matthew

                                  ________________________________

                                  Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                  > Hi Joe,
                                  >
                                  > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                  >
                                  > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                  > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                  > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                  > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                  > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                  >
                                  > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                  > the PDF or the online manual?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                  >
                                  > Matthew
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                • Matthew Kurzon
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                    How is this for a search?  Start at suspected frequency bottom= 152.000,
                                    then slowly hand scroll up the frequency steps looking for a signal....
                                    With Hold on.

                                    Either 152 or 452, source:

                                    http://www.angelfire.com/wi/scanner/taxicabs.html

                                    So far, two Spanish and one English speaking company located, the latter before
                                    locating the above frequencies.  The English speaking company was while rapid
                                    searching using Close Call something above 400 MHz, but a car not dispatch.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                    > Hi Joe,
                                    >
                                    > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                    >
                                    > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                    > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                    > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                    > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                    > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                    >
                                    > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                    > the PDF or the online manual?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                    >
                                    > Matthew
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Clayton
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                      You may want to check out the “Broadcast Screen” settings. It will allow you to block FM, common pager, and TV freqs, as well as set up custom ranges to block.

                                      ProScan is definitely head & shoulders above the others when it comes to searching, logging, and recording. You may be overwhelmed, however, by results if you are just looking for one particular user. If you see antennas on the cabs, that will give you a big clue as to what band they are using, narrowing your starting point. If they don’t have their own license, they may be using a SMR system (LTR, Passport, etc.)

                                      If can be near the Taxi co’s cars and/or headquarters for a bit, you should get a close call hit that will make it easier. If they are in a very high RF environment, it might be a little tougher and you may need to be closer.

                                      Happy hunting!

                                      Clayton

                                      Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                      > Hi Joe,
                                      >
                                      > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                      >
                                      > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                      > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                      > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                      > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                      > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                      >
                                      > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                      > the PDF or the online manual?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                      >
                                      > Matthew
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • gcr33
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                        And it's easy to search using Freescan. Why all the plugs about how you can use proscan?

                                        Length of antenna? If it is an assigned TAXI channel it may be split by 5 mhz. The mobiles cannot hear each other. That is so that they cannot jump calls.

                                        Seems a little different to listen to TAXI dispatchers. Jumping calls could cause a problem.

                                      • Matthew Kurzon
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                          got it 152.27  base, 157.53 mobile... finally!

                                          something other than police i like listening to

                                          ________________________________

                                          Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                          > Hi Joe,
                                          >
                                          > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                          >
                                          > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                          > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                          > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                          > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                          > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                          >
                                          > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                          > the PDF or the online manual?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                          >
                                          > Matthew
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • chrismason48
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                            I was using Freescan but had issues that was costing time and money.
                                            I switched to Proscan and never looked back. Best move I made and well work 50 bucks. The features are amazing.

                                            Chris

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                              I found the taxi frequencies this morning, I'm ecstatic!  Thanks to an
                                              online posting of taxi frequencies:

                                              http://www.angelfire.com/wi/scanner/taxicabs.html

                                              Still, the transmissions are so sporadic that I couldn't get it last night.
                                              But finally, this morning, success!!!!!

                                              About ProScan, I'm truly sorry it sounds like plugs, but I'm genuinely
                                              enthusiastic, you can write to me directly if you wish.  I am not the author,
                                              I bought the thing, I am just a user.  I look at it like this:  I love my radio,
                                              and I think ProScan makes it a lot better.   That's all.  I got started
                                              (recently)
                                              with a Radio Shack scanner, but getting on RR read about the 396/996 radios.
                                              When I read about their capabilities, I decided to purchase one, and chose
                                              the handheld, just to make it easier to manipulate.  My fiance said "Will Radio
                                              Shack take back the other radio?"  But I kept it, and I'm glad I did.  Two
                                              scanners
                                              are much superior to one.  Although ProScan (sorry!) allows for reception of
                                              multiple channels at once!  But being the dummy that I am, I don't know how
                                              to do it.  So for now, I use 2 radios and an RR Live Audio Feed.  Besides, how
                                              many things can you listen to at once?