Is This a Good Deal?

  • zz455@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 28, 2010
      Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?

      _UNIDEN RADIO-SHACK SCANNER PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE BONUS! - eBay (item
      120601988105 end time Aug-04-10 19:47:04 PDT)_
      (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120601988105)

      <POST EDITED BY MODERATOR TO CHANGE SUBJECT TITLE AND REMOVE UNRELATED POSTS>
    • Jeff Miller
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
        Does this package also include ScanCat software??  I believe you can this new from the vendor  Computer AIded Design for 49.95 including the Scancat software.
        Here's the link:  http://www.scancat.com/

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
          Are you looking for software to program the BCD396XT?

          If so, ProScan (www.ProScan.org) is without a doubt, the most superior
          software you can possibly get for the radio..

          When I was looking into it, the author Bob Aune recommended that I try
          the 30 day free trial.  I examined the software briefly and I knew that it
          was absolutely incredible, by comparison, I already had ARC XT software.

          It was only a matter of about 10-15 minutes before I decided to buy ProScan
          for $50, and a better purchase I have not made other than buying the
          Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT radio.

          This software is more than amazing.  There is not enough that can be said
          about it.  It is a work of art, in addition to a feat of technical wizardry.
          It turns your computer into a tabletop radio!

          In addition, $50 gets you lifetime updates.

          I write all this as a *user* of the software, I am not connected with it
          whatsoever
          financially or any other way!  Honestly!!

          Matthew

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
            just use freescan.......why pay?

            zz455@... wrote:

            >Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?
            >
            >_UNIDEN RADIO-SHACK SCANNER PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE BONUS! - eBay (item
            >120601988105 end time Aug-04-10 19:47:04 PDT)_
            >(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120601988105)
            >

            ><POST EDITED BY MODERATOR TO CHANGE SUBJECT TITLE AND REMOVE UNRELATED POSTS>
          • fhgdel
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
              I agree....I only use FreeScan and it's awesome in my opinion. I have tried others.

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pitboss1 <pitboss1@...> wrote:

              > just use freescan.......why pay?
              >
              > zz455@... wrote:
              >
              > >Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal for these program softwares?
            • David Klippel
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                Is there a comparison of the different software programs available. I
                am using FreeScan and find it very good for a free program. I have
                download Butel ARC XT Pro but haven't spent enough time to determine
                the benefits of it over FreeScan. It would be nice to have a chart that
                outlines the features of Butel ARC XT, ARC XT Pro, FreeScan, and ProScan
                showing what is common and different between each.

                I am new to the 396XT trunking and digital scanning. Having this
                comparison would be helpful. I am still trying to understand the
                trunking and getting it to scan those systems. That is a separate topic
                though maybe a better understanding of the software options would help.

                --
                David

              • Jeff Miller
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                  There is one thing bad about Scancat, it doesn't do Multisite systems like Freescan or Proscan or ARC XT etc.   I personally like Scan Cat but it is NOT useful for me with the 396XT  since it doesn't allow me to setup my scanner the way I want. I use ARC XT. I have used the others and they are all good.  Test them out and see which you like best since they all have free trials and Freescan is Free.

                  From: zz455@... <zz455@...>

                  To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                    The closest I've seen to that is
                    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_Software_Support
                     UPMan

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_Software_Support

                      (this is the message I meant to put that link on...)
                       UPMan

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                        I understand ProScan has features no other SW has. I don't know this
                        first hand.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                          Thanks. ..true

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                            I have Arc XT and ProScan, and they both use Radio Reference to get their
                            frequencies.

                            There is a taxi company in Englewood NJ that I have used, and I would like to
                            listen to
                            the dispatcher.  I haven't found his frequency anywhere.  So a few weeks ago I
                            was over
                            on Palisade Ave and I took a walk over there, and asked if I could look at his
                            radio, and
                            he actually allowed it!   It was covered by a taped up piece of black garbage
                            bag, but he

                            took it off, I guess because I have been friendly to him in the past and a good
                            customer.
                            He told me with great authority that he had channel 1 or channel 2.  Anyway I
                            couldn't
                            find any frequencies, and being afraid to disrupt his setup too much and get him
                            upset,
                            I gave up.   I have searched FCC licenses for Englewood NJ and still not found
                            this taxi
                            company, but found others which I tried but no success.

                            Ok well.. if other scan programs use databases other than Radio Reference then
                            that would
                            be a good reason to try them.

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                              You've got a 396 - use Close Call to capture the frequency (and
                              tone/code if any is used).

                              Joe M.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                I have no idea where to search!  How do I do that?

                                Matthew

                                ________________________________

                                Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                                > I have Arc XT and ProScan, and they both use Radio Reference to get their
                                > frequencies.
                                >
                                > There is a taxi company in Englewood NJ that I have used, and I would like to
                                > listen to
                                > the dispatcher. I haven't found his frequency anywhere. So a few weeks ago I
                                > was over
                                > on Palisade Ave and I took a walk over there, and asked if I could look at his

                                > radio, and
                                > he actually allowed it! It was covered by a taped up piece of black garbage
                                > bag, but he
                                >
                                > took it off, I guess because I have been friendly to him in the past and a good
                                >
                                > customer.
                                > He told me with great authority that he had channel 1 or channel 2. Anyway I
                                > couldn't
                                > find any frequencies, and being afraid to disrupt his setup too much and get
                                >him
                                >
                                > upset,
                                > I gave up. I have searched FCC licenses for Englewood NJ and still not found
                                > this taxi
                                > company, but found others which I tried but no success.
                                >
                                > Ok well.. if other scan programs use databases other than Radio Reference then

                                > that would
                                > be a good reason to try them.
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Matthew Kurzon
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                  That's a brilliant idea btw!!!!!!!

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                    Two choices:

                                    1. Enable all ranges. You are sure to get a hit on them if you're on
                                    site (and their transmitter is as well - as you MAY have only seen a
                                    remote control for their transmitter). Did it have only telephone lines
                                    coming out of it or was there round coaxial cable. OR, is their antenna
                                    on-site?

                                    2. Likely they are on the VHF, UHF, or 800 MHz band. You could only
                                    enable those ranges if you like.

                                    When Close Call is active, use the 1-7 keys to enable/disable ranges.

                                    Joe M.

                                  • Matthew Kurzon
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                      Hi Joe,

                                      Sorry I didn't see this email.

                                      It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                      I did not.  The box was only about 7" x  8" x 5" (height).  Old equipment,
                                      what an old, large table top microphone!   Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                      couldn't be switched easily.  I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                      are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.

                                      What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                      the PDF or the online manual?

                                      Thanks so much for your attention to this,

                                      Matthew

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                        Before trying any research, I would try Close Call. If you don't get a
                                        hit from their base, you may from a car just entering or leaving.

                                        If you can find one frequency, the others will be much easier.

                                        Joe M.

                                        Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                        > Hi Joe,
                                        >
                                        > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                        >
                                        > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                        > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                        > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                        > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                        > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                        >
                                        > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                        > the PDF or the online manual?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                        >
                                        > Matthew
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • Matthew Kurzon
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                          I found that I can easily search any range I want using ProScan
                                          to start the range.  Now I need to figure out what frequencies
                                          taxi companies are using around here.  I once found a page of them.

                                          By the way, I'm getting a lot a false close calls, continuous signals,
                                          and stuff that my radio decides to look for while I'm searching say 800+
                                          it will look also on the standard FM band!

                                          Thanks for your help,

                                          Matthew

                                          ________________________________

                                          Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                          > Hi Joe,
                                          >
                                          > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                          >
                                          > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                          > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                          > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                          > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                          > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                          >
                                          > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                          > the PDF or the online manual?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                          >
                                          > Matthew
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Matthew Kurzon
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 29, 2010
                                            How is this for a search?  Start at suspected frequency bottom= 152.000,
                                            then slowly hand scroll up the frequency steps looking for a signal....
                                            With Hold on.

                                            Either 152 or 452, source:

                                            http://www.angelfire.com/wi/scanner/taxicabs.html

                                            So far, two Spanish and one English speaking company located, the latter before
                                            locating the above frequencies.  The English speaking company was while rapid
                                            searching using Close Call something above 400 MHz, but a car not dispatch.

                                            ________________________________

                                            Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                            > Hi Joe,
                                            >
                                            > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                            >
                                            > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                            > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                            > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                            > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                            > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                            >
                                            > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                            > the PDF or the online manual?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                            >
                                            > Matthew
                                            >

                                            > ________________________________

                                          • Clayton
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                              You may want to check out the “Broadcast Screen” settings. It will allow you to block FM, common pager, and TV freqs, as well as set up custom ranges to block.

                                              ProScan is definitely head & shoulders above the others when it comes to searching, logging, and recording. You may be overwhelmed, however, by results if you are just looking for one particular user. If you see antennas on the cabs, that will give you a big clue as to what band they are using, narrowing your starting point. If they don’t have their own license, they may be using a SMR system (LTR, Passport, etc.)

                                              If can be near the Taxi co’s cars and/or headquarters for a bit, you should get a close call hit that will make it easier. If they are in a very high RF environment, it might be a little tougher and you may need to be closer.

                                              Happy hunting!

                                              Clayton

                                              Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                              > Hi Joe,
                                              >
                                              > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                              >
                                              > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                              > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                              > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                              > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                              > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                              >
                                              > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                              > the PDF or the online manual?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                              >
                                              > Matthew
                                              >

                                              > ________________________________

                                            • gcr33
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                                And it's easy to search using Freescan. Why all the plugs about how you can use proscan?

                                                Length of antenna? If it is an assigned TAXI channel it may be split by 5 mhz. The mobiles cannot hear each other. That is so that they cannot jump calls.

                                                Seems a little different to listen to TAXI dispatchers. Jumping calls could cause a problem.

                                              • Matthew Kurzon
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                                  got it 152.27  base, 157.53 mobile... finally!

                                                  something other than police i like listening to

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  Matthew Kurzon wrote:

                                                  > Hi Joe,
                                                  >
                                                  > Sorry I didn't see this email.
                                                  >
                                                  > It was a small box, I wish I had known to look for external connections but
                                                  > I did not. The box was only about 7" x 8" x 5" (height). Old equipment,
                                                  > what an old, large table top microphone! Which doesn't mean the crystals
                                                  > couldn't be switched easily. I didn't see an antenna on the roof, but they
                                                  > are hitting cars locally easily, which is their goal.
                                                  >
                                                  > What is the best place to read about searching ranges as you described,
                                                  > the PDF or the online manual?
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks so much for your attention to this,
                                                  >
                                                  > Matthew
                                                  >

                                                  > ________________________________

                                                • chrismason48
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                                    I was using Freescan but had issues that was costing time and money.
                                                    I switched to Proscan and never looked back. Best move I made and well work 50 bucks. The features are amazing.

                                                    Chris

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 30, 2010
                                                      I found the taxi frequencies this morning, I'm ecstatic!  Thanks to an
                                                      online posting of taxi frequencies:

                                                      http://www.angelfire.com/wi/scanner/taxicabs.html

                                                      Still, the transmissions are so sporadic that I couldn't get it last night.
                                                      But finally, this morning, success!!!!!

                                                      About ProScan, I'm truly sorry it sounds like plugs, but I'm genuinely
                                                      enthusiastic, you can write to me directly if you wish.  I am not the author,
                                                      I bought the thing, I am just a user.  I look at it like this:  I love my radio,
                                                      and I think ProScan makes it a lot better.   That's all.  I got started
                                                      (recently)
                                                      with a Radio Shack scanner, but getting on RR read about the 396/996 radios.
                                                      When I read about their capabilities, I decided to purchase one, and chose
                                                      the handheld, just to make it easier to manipulate.  My fiance said "Will Radio
                                                      Shack take back the other radio?"  But I kept it, and I'm glad I did.  Two
                                                      scanners
                                                      are much superior to one.  Although ProScan (sorry!) allows for reception of
                                                      multiple channels at once!  But being the dummy that I am, I don't know how
                                                      to do it.  So for now, I use 2 radios and an RR Live Audio Feed.  Besides, how
                                                      many things can you listen to at once?