False Weather Alert Tones

  • matthew
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 28 6:07 AM
      Hi, I was listining to my 396xt yesterday and several times i received weather tones yesterday, but there was no alerts anywhere close to my area, they went off for no reason at all, anybody have any idea as to why this happend?

      Matt
    • Jeffry Rehm
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 28 7:37 AM
        The only thing I can quickly suggest is contact the local NOAA office and make sure they weren't testing. That is odd what you received.

        Hi, I was listining to my 396xt yesterday and several times i received weather tones yesterday, but there was no alerts anywhere close to my area, they went off for no reason at all, anybody have any idea as to why this happend?

        Matt

      • randy ferguson
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 28 7:51 AM
          due to skip is it possible another area was comming in , did you hear what area the warning was for ,

          BCD396XT bcd396t pro2022 pro34

          The only thing I can quickly suggest is contact the local NOAA office and make sure they weren't testing. That is odd what you received.

          Hi, I was listining to my 396xt yesterday and several times i received weather tones yesterday, but there was no alerts anywhere close to my area, they went off for no reason at all, anybody have any idea as to why this happend?

          Matt

        • Matthew Kurzon
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 28 9:25 AM
            I live in Englewood, NJ and I'm finding that I can't get Mt. Vernon NY Police on
            my scanners at all, but they
            come in loud and clear on the RR live audio.  (Englewood is about 20 miles from
            Mt Vernon)
            I do get lots of other places, far away like Central NJ, and all over NY City
            for example.  I used to get Mt Vernon

            (where I grew up, thus the interest) in the early 90s, but now, nothing.
            Anyone know anything about this?
            Thanks very much,
            Matthew

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 28 10:13 AM
              You mean you don't receive the weather alert tones for Englewood, NJ ?

              Clark

              At 09:25 AM 7/28/2010, you wrote:

              >I live in Englewood, NJ and I'm finding that I can't get Mt. Vernon NY
              >Police on
              >my scanners at all, but they
              >come in loud and clear on the RR live audio. (Englewood is about 20
              >miles from
              >Mt Vernon)
              >I do get lots of other places, far away like Central NJ, and all over NY City
              >for example. I used to get Mt Vernon
              >
              >(where I grew up, thus the interest) in the early 90s, but now, nothing.
              >Anyone know anything about this?
              >Thanks very much,
              >Matthew
            • Matthew Kurzon
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 28 10:25 AM
                sorry, i should have changed the title!!!!!

                ________________________________

                At 09:25 AM 7/28/2010, you wrote:

                >I live in Englewood, NJ and I'm finding that I can't get Mt. Vernon NY
                >Police on
                >my scanners at all, but they
                >come in loud and clear on the RR live audio. (Englewood is about 20
                >miles from
                >Mt Vernon)
                >I do get lots of other places, far away like Central NJ, and all over NY City
                >for example. I used to get Mt Vernon
                >
                >(where I grew up, thus the interest) in the early 90s, but now, nothing.
                >Anyone know anything about this?
                >Thanks very much,
                >Matthew

              • Matthew Kurzon
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 28 1:25 PM
                  I have a lot of systems programmed into my scanner.  But I tried searching
                  the CB band once, and now while scanning, the radio retains the CB band
                  as a system (?) and keeps coming to it while scanning, and searches for a
                  signal.
                  How can I remove CB from my list of frequencies to automatically scan?

                  Thanks very much,

                  Matthew

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 28 1:34 PM
                    I've seen a lot of replies, but I don't think anyone has hit the answer yet.

                    In your SAME settings, program in your local FIPS codes and when you set
                    the alert mode, don't choose ALL FIPS - choose the grouping you set up
                    for your area.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 28 1:47 PM
                      Hit FUNC L/O L/O when it's on the CB System.

                      Joe M.

                      Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                      > I have a lot of systems programmed into my scanner. But I tried searching
                      > the CB band once, and now while scanning, the radio retains the CB band
                      > as a system (?) and keeps coming to it while scanning, and searches for a
                      > signal.
                      > How can I remove CB from my list of frequencies to automatically scan?
                      >
                      > Thanks very much,
                      >
                      > Matthew

                    • Matthew Kurzon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 28 5:23 PM
                        Hi Joe,

                        Thanks so much for your answer!

                        When I do that, what is it telling the radio to do?

                        Will it leave CB as a System on the radio?

                        I found it difficult to find the answer in the online guide from Uniden
                        as well as the PDF.  Maybe it is there, but I didn't see it.

                        Thank you,

                        Matthew

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 28 6:01 PM
                          It's telling the scanner to lock out that System (and not just a
                          Temporary Lockout which would be FUNC L/O).

                          It will leave the System in the scanner and just will keep it locked out
                          until you unlock it (via the menu).

                          I'm sure it's in the guide, but you have to know to search for Permanent
                          Lockout. Of course, if you knew what that was, you would not have to
                          search for it, would you? :-)

                          Joe M.

                          Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                          > Hi Joe,
                          >
                          > Thanks so much for your answer!
                          >
                          > When I do that, what is it telling the radio to do?
                          >
                          > Will it leave CB as a System on the radio?
                          >
                          > I found it difficult to find the answer in the online guide from Uniden
                          > as well as the PDF. Maybe it is there, but I didn't see it.
                          >
                          > Thank you,
                          >
                          > Matthew
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Matthew Kurzon
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 28 8:41 PM
                            Hi Joe:

                            Then to unlock the System, I am guessing that I can do something
                            like the reverse using the scroll bar.  Or in ProScan, Jump to CB and
                            I'm not sure what to do if CB has been locked..

                            Thank you,

                            Matthew

                            ________________________________

                            Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                            > Hi Joe,
                            >
                            > Thanks so much for your answer!
                            >
                            > When I do that, what is it telling the radio to do?
                            >
                            > Will it leave CB as a System on the radio?
                            >
                            > I found it difficult to find the answer in the online guide from Uniden
                            > as well as the PDF. Maybe it is there, but I didn't see it.
                            >
                            > Thank you,
                            >
                            > Matthew
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Matthew Kurzon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 28 9:22 PM
                              Joe-

                              By the way, I usually do try L/O L/O, but without F; so am I correct
                              in the deduction that pressing the Function key makes L/0 work for
                              Systems rather than just an individual frequency?

                              Thanks,

                              Matthew

                              PS  Your answers are all very much appreciated!!

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 28 10:37 PM
                                You're exactly correct.

                                Joe M.

                                Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                                > Joe-
                                >
                                > By the way, I usually do try L/O L/O, but without F; so am I correct
                                > in the deduction that pressing the Function key makes L/0 work for
                                > Systems rather than just an individual frequency?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Matthew
                                >
                                > PS Your answers are all very much appreciated!!
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • Matthew Kurzon
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 29 7:46 AM
                                  Hi Joe:

                                  Finally!  I can stop this little nuisance!

                                  Thank you thank you thank you!

                                  Matt

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 29 11:57 AM
                                    Yes - you can scroll to that system and press the L/O button or go
                                    through the menu and unlock it that way (or via software).

                                    Joe M.

                                  • Matthew Kurzon
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 29 12:40 PM
                                      Hi Joe,

                                      Thanks so much!

                                      That scanner> computer wire is quite useful.

                                      I made the choice to get the handheld model but use it at home
                                      mostly, because it is easy to flip all over the place.. any opinions
                                      of this?  The 396 vs the 996?

                                      Matthew

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 29 12:49 PM
                                        Well, the 996 has more powerful audio, and you don't have to worry about
                                        cells going bad/dead.

                                        But, you can use an external speaker with the 396 to get the audio back
                                        up there (computer speakers are great for this, although I use amplified
                                        Motorola speakers personally), and you can leave the NiMH/Alk switch on
                                        Alk to save the batteries.

                                        But, overall I think the 396 is a smart choice if you ever want to use
                                        it portable. There is also the advantage of using it when the power goes
                                        out. You need extra equipment for the 996 to do that.

                                        There is also the benefit of the 996 having dedicated, separate volume
                                        and squelch knobs. That can be handy sometimes.

                                        Joe M.

                                        Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                                        > I made the choice to get the handheld model but use it at home
                                        > mostly, because it is easy to flip all over the place.. any opinions
                                        > of this? The 396 vs the 996?
                                        >
                                        > Matthew
                                      • Matthew Kurzon
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 29 1:21 PM
                                          Joe, Thanks for this list, Going over it..

                                          A dedicated squelch is nice, but in practice, squelch +2 is
                                          perfect for all my signals.

                                          What I am most interested in is your comment about the
                                          audio..

                                          I can hear my radio quite well, the volume never needs to
                                          be anywhere near the maximum..

                                          Why would you need better audio with a scanner radio?

                                          Btw I do use the power adapter to save on batteries..

                                          (I noticed early on that the rechargables are just a nuisance,
                                          so it's either regular batteries or the adapter.)

                                          Thanks,

                                          Matthew

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 29 1:52 PM
                                            Threaded...

                                            Matthew Kurzon wrote:
                                            > Joe, Thanks for this list, Going over it..
                                            >
                                            > A dedicated squelch is nice, but in practice, squelch +2 is
                                            > perfect for all my signals.

                                            It is in my case, too, but sometimes it's nice to bump it up a notch or two.

                                            > What I am most interested in is your comment about the
                                            > audio..
                                            >
                                            > I can hear my radio quite well, the volume never needs to
                                            > be anywhere near the maximum..
                                            >
                                            > Why would you need better audio with a scanner radio?

                                            Road noise in a car is the most often complaint.

                                            > Btw I do use the power adapter to save on batteries..
                                            >
                                            > (I noticed early on that the rechargables are just a nuisance,
                                            > so it's either regular batteries or the adapter.)

                                            I would look into NiMH cells. Using them can save you a lot of money in
                                            the long run (and there is the whole 'save the planet' aspect, too).

                                            Joe M.
                                          • Matthew Kurzon
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 29 1:55 PM
                                              Ok admittedly, I need to learn simple things like using Close Call.

                                              Now I have the solution, I'll go from here to get the taxi co frequency,

                                              Thank you!

                                              ________________________________

                                            • ipnfla124@bellsouth.net
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 30 9:08 PM
                                                I think there was also a setting that will allow it to set off the tones
                                                if the 1050 Hz audio tone is tx'd also? maybe mistaken, but may make
                                                sure that is off too?

                                                Walter

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 31 12:21 PM
                                                  It uses the 1050 Hz tone for Weather Priority. For the SAME mode, I
                                                  think it only uses the SAME data.

                                                  Joe M.