Where was everyone

  • RJH
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2010
      Hi,

      Where was everyone when the feds went encrypted? You guys did a great job of
      stopping that. As technology improves and costs come down, most public
      safety radio will be encrypted and I don't think anyone has stopped it, or
      will. They'll be a few pockets here and there, but when Statewide Systems
      like Florida and most major cities go to proprietary systems or encrypted,
      it won't be interesting to me anymore.

      The radio companies have a vested interest to sell secure communications,
      it's simple dollars and sense. I can't believe that Motorola hasn't come up
      with a proprietary system like Open Sky that we can't monitor. I have to
      believe they are working on it.

      You guys piss and moan and come up with ridiculous theories about all this,
      but no one comes up with the $500,000 to start, to create a court case on
      this. I think there is a fair possibility if all this went to court, we
      might win the right to listen and maybe prevent encrypted, communications. I
      don't have $500,000 and I don't care.

      The day will come when people will say " I can't believe that people
      listened to Police and Fire communications, isn't that amazing!"

      Sadly, it's groups like this, Droid Apps and whatever else is out there that
      provides excellent marketing material for Motorola, GE, Johnson, etc. Sadly
      the very people who enjoy the hobby most are the ones who will kill it.
      Having been a scanner enthusiast since 1970, if it goes away it goes away.

      In many ways I hope I'm around long enough, and when scanners become
      paperweights I can say I told you so and laugh.

      In the meantime, enjoy what you have and keep waiting for the Uniden
      Programming software that UpMan and Uniden Promised a year ago, way to go
      Uniden.

      Ray

      _____

      <INCREDIBLY LONG COPY OF OTHER MESSAGES IN THE DIGEST DELETED BY MODERATOR>
    • eph39
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2010
        Not surprised there isn't much response to this as I can't imagine you really care about what we do. However, that being said you have given me an idea. Not that anyone will jump on board. It is the creation of a fund which couldn't be pilfered by the greedy with the express purpose of paying the costs necessary to start legal action to stop encryption.

        There probably isn't a single person able to bankroll such an effort outright, but if we all chipped in it might be a start.