Should I buy a bcd396xt ?

  • s_t0r_m
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2010
      I am new to scanners and I was wondering if I should buy one of these toys. I am a ham radio operator and have experience with HT's/Operating HF and would like to get into this hobby. (Scanning/scanners).

      I have done some research and I realized that there are maybe 2-3 other scanners that do APCO25/Digital/Analog similar to this scanner sold by radio-shack/other manufacturers..and those are a hundred or so bucks cheaper than this radio.

      How come the other radios also looks very very similar in features to this but this one is much more expensive? Am I missing any special features?

      Please let me know
      Thanks
    • Wadie E. Suttles III
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
        I understand the question. And if I were new to the hobby, I would be asking
        similar questions too. So if I had to make a choice, I would base it on the most
        user friendly device available. It would have to decode the most modern trunking
        system available, that's monitorable. It will have to be sensitive in obtaining
        weak signals. And it would have to adapt to being a portable, a base and a
        mobile. So I chose Uniden. But as you can see, my choice was based on my needs.
        What are your needs?
        Uniden is a giant in the scanner industry. They have a long history. This is
        part of the reason why product price mark up is noticed. The other reason is
        features, such as the GPS interface for multi-site trunking, fire toneouts, P-25
        NAC codes and multi-color displays when squelch is broken. Now many of these
        features may be meaningless to you. But to people like me, who travels with my
        scanner, likes the idea of using a GPS to enable and disable system groups. In
        addition, I like seeing that if my display flashes red, I know that a fire
        department is communicating and if it beeps a certain tone, that a specific
        channel, I like to monitor, is broadcasting. Again, these are my perferences and
        my deciding factor on going with Uniden. You have to go with what's important
        for you.

        Thanks for your time and enjoy the hobby.
         Wadie E. Suttles III

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
          Depends on what your looking at as to what features they have or don't have.
          Also, these are not toys, too many people think that and thats the kind of
          thing that hurts the hobby for those who are serious about. Thats also the
          attitude that can lead to other bad things in the hobby.

          >I am new to scanners and I was wondering if I should buy one of these toys.
          >I am a ham radio operator and have experience with HT's/Operating HF and
          >would like to get into this hobby. (Scanning/scanners).
          >
          > I have done some research and I realized that there are maybe 2-3 other
          > scanners that do APCO25/Digital/Analog similar to this scanner sold by
          > radio-shack/other manufacturers..and those are a hundred or so bucks
          > cheaper than this radio.
          >
          > How come the other radios also looks very very similar in features to this
          > but this one is much more expensive? Am I missing any special features?
          >
          > Please let me know
          > Thanks

        • eph39
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
            As an owner of a BCD396XT, which I program by hand (rather than programming by computer/software), allow me to say it is a marvelous little gem. I've had occasion to fiddle with a Radio Shack equivalent and have been quite unimpressed. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" is appropriately applied to the XT. If, in the end, you opt for the 396 please feel free to contact me directly and will gladly assist you with the task of programming.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "s_t0r_m" <jay.loerns@...> wrote:

            > I am new to scanners and I was wondering if I should buy one of these toys. I am a ham radio operator and have experience with HT's/Operating HF and would like to get into this hobby. (Scanning/scanners).
            >
            > I have done some research and I realized that there are maybe 2-3 other scanners that do APCO25/Digital/Analog similar to this scanner sold by radio-shack/other manufacturers..and those are a hundred or so bucks cheaper than this radio.
            >
            > How come the other radios also looks very very similar in features to this but this one is much more expensive? Am I missing any special features?
            >
            > Please let me know
            > Thanks

          • Cris Hanna
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
              I'm probably going to be the odd man out here.

              I have a GRE PSR 600 base mobile unit and a 396XT.

              If I had to do over, I would probably get the PSR500 or RS equivalent rather
              than the 396

              Here's why

              Having used and programmed both I find:

              - The PSREdit software friendlier to use (my opinion)

              - Selecting/deselecting Scan Lists easier (my opinion)

              - V-Scanner folders (if the Unidens have this I haven't found it)

              Those are probably my top ones

              The following can be a plus or minus depending on where you live/what you
              will be monitoring.

              The GRE/RS seems to be a bit more sensitive than the Uniden, but that can
              also made it more prone to signal overload if you live in a very "signal
              dense" area.

              But the Uniden has some features that the GRE/RS models don't

              - GPS setting for towers

              - Two tone sequential decoding (paging for fire/ems/etc)

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                I too have played with both units and prefer the 396. I prefer the Uniden
                programing/operating logic. Too me it makes more sense and is more user
                freindly. I have been using scanners for the past 30 years. My first was a
                Bearcat 220. I even worked a scanner store selling them for several years.
                Even with all my years experience, these new generation of scanners have
                come with a big learning curve. Both are great radios, but as far as which
                is better it comes down to personal preference. If you can, I would suggest
                getting your hands one of each and playing with them to see which you
                prefer.

                Richard Silagi
                rsilagi@...

                On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 08:47, Cris Hanna <crishanna@...> wrote:

                > I'm probably going to be the odd man out here.
                >
                > I have a GRE PSR 600 base mobile unit and a 396XT.
                >
                > If I had to do over, I would probably get the PSR500 or RS equivalent
                > rather
                > than the 396
                >
                > Here's why
                >
                > Having used and programmed both I find:
                >
                > - The PSREdit software friendlier to use (my opinion)
                >
                > - Selecting/deselecting Scan Lists easier (my opinion)
                >
                > - V-Scanner folders (if the Unidens have this I haven't found it)
                >
                > Those are probably my top ones
                >
                > The following can be a plus or minus depending on where you live/what you
                > will be monitoring.
                >
                > The GRE/RS seems to be a bit more sensitive than the Uniden, but that can
                > also made it more prone to signal overload if you live in a very "signal
                > dense" area.
                >
                > But the Uniden has some features that the GRE/RS models don't
                >
                > - GPS setting for towers
                >
                > - Two tone sequential decoding (paging for fire/ems/etc)

              • Bill Richardson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Some come with accessories and some do not
                  Like the charger,antenna adapter etc. the 396xt is probably the best in the bunch! It comes with that stuff.  Good Luck

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                    Richard, what company did you purchase your 396XT that included all that stuff you just mentioned. I will be getting the scanner for my birthday in a few days and I don't know what company I should buy it from.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                      All Uniden scanners include all common accessories (AC, DC cords, batteries,
                      antenna, SMA --> BNC adapter, etc) in the box, regardless of who you purchase
                      from (on-line used product auctions excepted).
                       UPMan

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                        I think all 396xt come with AC adapter and BNC to SMA antenna adapter

                        I got mine from the Ham Station, Evansville IN

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                          The BCD396XT comes with all the basic goodies you need except for programing
                          software.

                          You can get from Amazon with Free Shipping

                          http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD396XT-Handheld-TrunkTracker-Digital/dp/B001W0Y44K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278445118&sr=8-1
                          ScannerMaster is also good.

                          http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BCD396XT_Police_Scanner_p/10-501358.htm
                          Richard Silagi
                          rsilagi@...

                          On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:16, Joseph Fratianno <sdboy202@...> wrote:

                          > Richard, what company did you purchase your 396XT that included all that
                          > stuff you just mentioned. I will be getting the scanner for my birthday in a
                          > few days and I don't know what company I should buy it from.

                        • Michael Bennett
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                            I've bought several scanners, including two 396XT's from CEI (usascan.com) They
                            used to be one of the only places where the full price ($499.95) included
                            shipping. A lot of the other outlets were trying to charge $15 to $30 for shipping
                            on top of that price.

                            On Tue Jul 6 14:16 , "Joseph Fratianno" sent:

                            > Richard, what company did you purchase your 396XT that included all that
                            stuff you just mentioned. I will be getting the scanner for my birthday in a few
                            days and I don't know what company I should buy it from.

                          • Clark Rennie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                              I'm not Richard but I'll try to answer you question. That's the difference
                              between Uniden and Radio Shack. All those mentioned extras are included as
                              standard when purchased from a authorized dealer.
                              I have purchased several scanners from Communication Electronics (www.
                              usascan.com) and have received good service from them. Their price on the
                              BCD396XT is $495.95 including S& H (delivered).
                              There are several similar dealers online.

                              Clark

                              At 12:16 PM 7/6/2010, you wrote:

                              >Richard, what company did you purchase your 396XT that included all that
                              >stuff you just mentioned. I will be getting the scanner for my birthday in
                              >a few days and I don't know what company I should buy it from.

                            • Michael Bennett
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                You can get a lot of stuff cheaper at Amazon but this ain't one of 'em. They want
                                529.54. Even with shipping thrown in you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

                                On Tue Jul 6 14:40 , Richard Silagi sent:

                                > The BCD396XT comes with all the basic goodies you need except for programing
                                >
                                >software.
                                >

                                >You can get from Amazon with Free Shipping
                                >

                                >http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BCD396XT-Handheld-TrunkTracker-
                                Digital/dp/B001W0Y44K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278445118&sr=8-1

                                >ScannerMaster is also good.
                                >

                                >http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_BCD396XT_Police_Scanner_p/10-501358.htm
                                >
                                >Richard Silagi
                                >
                                >rsilagi@...
                                >

                                >On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:16, Joseph Fratianno <sdboy202@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >> Richard, what company did you purchase your 396XT that included all that
                                >
                                >> stuff you just mentioned. I will be getting the scanner for my birthday in a
                                >
                                >> few days and I don't know what company I should buy it from.

                              • William Edwards
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                  I like to go to carmachicago.com and then click through to the
                                  scannermaster web site from there. This way, the CARMA radio club
                                  gets a few pennies to keep its great web site going, and you can buy
                                  the BCD396XT for $495.00 at scannermaster.

                                  They have reasonable shipping charges and on the same page where you
                                  buy the radio you can also quickly buy compatible options including
                                  antennas, ear pieces, ARC programming software if you want it, and
                                  even purchase programming services from the seller if desired. I have
                                  nothing to gain from this - just endorsing a well-organized,
                                  competitively priced seller.
                                  Bill E.

                                  --
                                  Sent from my mobile device
                                • Bill Richardson
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                    HRO

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                      A lot of good info --- Looks like I will be buying a 396XT. I already have a
                                      antenna mounted on my car so I am sure I can use it as a mobile unit also.
                                      Only problem is that my local PD uses digital ENCRYPTED com, so Thats a
                                      pretty big downer -- in terms of listening. I wish someone has already
                                      figured out how to decode encrypted traffic.

                                      Thanks for the info guys.
                                      P.S: Anyone know the deep-nitty-gritty technical details of encrypted
                                      communication over the air?

                                      On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Michael Bennett <michaelbennett@...

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 7, 2010
                                        Encryption (for P25) is fully documented in the P25 specification which can be
                                        purchased from IHS international (www.ihs.com).

                                        Decoding without authorization would be illegal. Decoding without knowing the
                                        encryption key would be practically impossible.
                                        UPMan