RE: [BCD396XT] Re: Issue with USB-1 and Arc-xt pro Win7 64-bit

  • Tim Woodward
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
      Yeah I checked that even changing the baud rates, knocking them both down to 56k and lower, even altered the buffer stuff to see if it was a speed issue with a new laptop.

      Jeff - When you had the bauds mis-match did is actually communicate and then fail sporatically? I believe for me that it never communicated when I purposefully mis-matched the bauds.

      Anyone have ARC-XT working with USB-1 cable on a Windows 7 64-bit machine?

      Thanks Again,
      Tim

      From: tim01862 <twoodward@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 5:00 PM

      Anyone else having an issue with Arc-xt pro using the usb-1 cable with Windows 7 64-bit? I have a new HP laptop, purchased Arc-xt and the USB-1 cable, loaded the lastest driver connected the cable it was detected fine. Then connected the BCD396XT and Arc-xt sees it fine on the right comport.

      My problem is in reading the data from the radio Arc-xt will start and then just freezes after say 30 seconds or so, finally it will give a communication error after a long long time. I am trying to read the default data that comes on a new scanner. The same cable and drivers work perfectly with Freescan and it all works fine on my Desktop that has Windows XP for OS.

      I've corresponded with Butel.nl but they say I am the first to report this issue.

      I know . . . I could just use Freescan or Arc-xt on my desktop upstairs but I bought Arc-xt because I've used it for my other scanners and I want to get it working on the laptop because it's more convenient.

      Please help if possible.

      Thanks,

      Tim

    • tedrhayes
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Woodward" <twoodward@...> wrote:
        -snip---

        I too have had problems with ARC-XT and various serial connections to my BCD396XT on my Windows 7 x64 machines. I've tried it with the USB-1 and several different USB-to-Serial converters. The problem I have is just as you described - changing the BAUD rate really doesn't seem to make any difference. I also have no serial problems when using FreeScan or ProScan.

        I have found one USB-to-Serial connector with which I do not have any serial problems. That is the Micro Connectors Dual Serial Adapter. It does not use the Prolific device driver (as used by all the other usb-to-serial adapters and the USB-1).

        My suspicion is that there is a very small incompatibility with the Prolific x64 drivers that is revealed by ARC-XT. This leads to a dead-lock state (ARC-XT and the Serial Driver get stuck waiting for each other). That being said - ARC-XT doesn't appear to be very fault tolerant of serial communication errors (as the other software packages appear to be).

        I've reported my problems to BUTEL.

        Hope this adds to the discussion.

        Ted
      • Tim Woodward
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
          Hi Ted,

          Yeah that jives with the response that I got back just this morning from
          Butel.nl, thanks for making me feel like I'm going crazy and I'm the only
          one.

          "We have traced this problem down to the prolific device driver under
          win7/64 bit and have reported this to prolific. Hopefully they can fix their
          faulty driver. "

          Problem for me is I have another USB to Serial cable and it unfortunately
          uses the Prolific chip and driver.
          It definately is related to Windows 7 64-bit and the driver from Prolific
          and I have used older versions, the newest version as well as the Vista
          versions.

          Hopefully Prolific will fix this quickly as I bought the USB-1 cable because
          it was sanctioned by Uniden and supposed to work. So now I have two usb to
          serial cables and software that all don't work, weird that Freescan doesn't
          have the same issue using the exact same driver, as Gommert from Butel puts
          it it's just supposed to be like reading from an rs-232 port after all.

          Thanks Again, Tim

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
            I am using Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and FreeScan. The USB works fine however I had to relocate it. Tim, I support PC's and would like the opportunity to troubleshoot this for you. Contact me offline at tuckyguy08@... with your phone number and we can work it out.

            John

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Woodward" <twoodward@...> wrote:

            > Yeah I checked that even changing the baud rates, knocking them both down to 56k and lower, even altered the buffer stuff to see if it was a speed issue with a new laptop.
            >
            > Jeff - When you had the bauds mis-match did is actually communicate and then fail sporatically? I believe for me that it never communicated when I purposefully mis-matched the bauds.
            >
            > Anyone have ARC-XT working with USB-1 cable on a Windows 7 64-bit machine?
            >
            > Thanks Again,
            > Tim

          • Jeff Miller
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
              I have the prolific driver working fine in Win 7 Professional 64 Bit on a Dell Desktop PC.  I  attached the install files (as a zip file)  I used if any of you would like it. I have the prolific driver installed and I use both a GRE 500 and the 396XT with it.  I am using all Butel Software myself.   Use the VISTA_INSTALLER!!!

              For the Butel software to work properly under win 7 64 Bit with the prolific drivers I find I have to get the cable plugged in to the USB port and get the beep then start the software.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
                Hey Jeff,

                I guess the zip file was stripped off because I didn't receive it.
                I tried the Vista installer from the ScannerMaster website and had the same issue as I reported.

                Have you done a large download of the scanner because I can get it to work for a system sometimes but as a test and origionally during setup I was downloading the entire scanner as it comes loaded from the factory I have also uploaded the latest Uniden firmware to the scanner and that went fine.

                What version of the Arc-xt software are you using?

                Thanks,
                Tim

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2010
                  I removed the original programming from the scanner then loaded the systems I wanted in.

                  I use the most recent version of ARC-XT from Butel's site.  I will email the ZIP file for the USB-1 Cable  directly to you if you wish.

                  From: Tim Woodward <twoodward@...>

                  To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Why be bothered with the ARC and Butel. Use freescan and no problems

                    I am not an employee or relative but the price is right, the program works and you don't see these issues every day with usb adapters.

                    I use a gigaware adapter and it's never an issue.