Re: [BCD396XT] Re: XT version sensitivity?

    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 4, 2009
      And I'll bring up a point I've made many times. How much of that
      'betterness' (new word, I think) is due to the more efficient antenna
      system? The 296 has a much better ground plane to work with over the
      396. This is particularly true on UHF where the radio itself is a
      quarter wave counterpoise to compliment the antenna.

      I've noticed in general that scanner sensitivity has been on the
      decrease (all manufacturers, not just Uniden), but I'm not sure if it's
      due to the components used/available (compact multifunction components
      never seem to perform as well as discrete components), or other factors
      such as the aforementioned antenna inefficiency.

      Part of the issue could be the size reduction for both of the above
      reasons. So, do you want it big and work a little better or small at the
      sacrifice of a little sensitivity? Personally, I've never noticed much
      difference in the scanners. There is some loss, but it's hardly what I
      would call 'deaf' on any band. Maybe some units have more of an issue
      than others.

      Joe M.

      Dewey wrote:
      > I would have to fully agree with Joseph McGinley's statement, and
      > respectfully disagree with yours Joe M. I've always said, and always will
      > say that the 396 if DEAF in the UHF band. I can not agree that increasing
      > the sensitivity necessarily means decreasing the selectivity. My BC250D's
      > receiver is as hot as all of my GREs to include the Pro-96, yet it does not
      > seem to be susceptible to front end overload.
      >
      > Dewey

    • MRI
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 5, 2009
        Or if the storing of multi tones on one freq has been sorted on search and store? This is a problem with the t version. That will be my deciding factor.