Future feature?

  • Clayton
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
      A feature I would like to see added to current or future models is a "system
      delay". Where I live (KCMO area), the Highway Patrol and the local sheriff
      both use split frequencies, with the dispatcher on 1 frequency and cars
      responding on a different freq. Obviously a delay on the freq does no good,
      but if there was an adjustable-length delay that could be set per system, it
      would allow the scanner to stay on that system, scan the channels (or TG's)
      and increase the odds of hearing the reply. We also have an LTR system in
      the area that assigned each unit a different talkgroup, so it would help
      when listening to them.

      The memory architecture of the DMA scanners seem ideally suited to do this,
      as it already has "system properties". The system "hold time" does very
      little good for the above issue: if the dispatcher talks equal or above the
      hold time, you miss the reply. In addition increasing "hold time" really
      slows down scanning.

      Keep up the great products Uniden. Now I'm waiting for the mobile version
      with 25,000 channels, too. :)

      Clayton
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
        You might want to read up on the HOLD TIME feature. It's not exactly
        what you want, but it's close. It's been on Uniden scanners for several
        years.

        Joe M.

        Clayton wrote:
        > A feature I would like to see added to current or future models is a "system
        > delay". Where I live (KCMO area), the Highway Patrol and the local sheriff
        > both use split frequencies, with the dispatcher on 1 frequency and cars
        > responding on a different freq. Obviously a delay on the freq does no good,
        > but if there was an adjustable-length delay that could be set per system, it
        > would allow the scanner to stay on that system, scan the channels (or TG's)
        > and increase the odds of hearing the reply. We also have an LTR system in
        > the area that assigned each unit a different talkgroup, so it would help
        > when listening to them.
        >
        > The memory architecture of the DMA scanners seem ideally suited to do this,
        > as it already has "system properties". The system "hold time" does very
        > little good for the above issue: if the dispatcher talks equal or above the
        > hold time, you miss the reply. In addition increasing "hold time" really
        > slows down scanning.
        >
        > Keep up the great products Uniden. Now I'm waiting for the mobile version
        > with 25,000 channels, too. :)
        >
        > Clayton

      • Clayton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
          As I mentioned in my original post, the hold time does little to help.
          Besides slowing the overall scanning down by holding on the system for the
          selected period of time, whether there is activity or not, when someone is
          talking it counts down the time and if they talk as long as the hold time,
          it will move on to the next system when their transmission is done. Also,
          it will not allow you to hear an extended exchange. When the 246 came out,
          I thought the hold time was going to be just the ticket, but alas it wasn't.
          My current work around is to hit the function knob on the 996 or bct15 as it
          will hold on the system for a couple of seconds, but an automatic solution
          would be ideal. If you are familiar with Probe, it has a 'tac scan' feature
          which does this, and it works great, but only with an Opto equipped scanner
          & PC.

          Thanks for the suggestion,

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
            First, I didn't see that you tried the HOLD TIME. (again, OOOPS! :-] )

            Second, if you hold the Function button for a few seconds until the
            scanner beeps, the scanner will lock on that system until you release it
            (not just a few seconds).

            You could also duplicate that system and assign it various SQKs so it is
            scanned more often (assign it 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, etc).

            Joe M.

          • joe_polcari
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
              Something I haven't seen asked.
              The XT can have analog/digital/both channels. Does that mean it will
              respond to, and you can set, a CTS/DCS and a NAC on the same frequency?
            • Uniden UPMan
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                Yes. You'd enter it as two channels...one analog w/CTCSS/DCS and the other digital/NAC.

                 UPMan

                The XT can have analog/digital/ both channels. Does that mean it will
                respond to, and you can set, a CTS/DCS and a NAC on the same frequency?

              • Joe Polcari
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Ok - a workaround. At least that's better than it is now. New Hampshire is a
                  pain with their mixed channels.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                    The 996 has the 'both' feature. It means CSQ, not PL/DPL/NAC.

                    There aren't that many mixed analog/digital channels that would be a
                    problem programming both as separate channels.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                      True - it won't be a problem now that you can use NAC