Re: [BCD396XT] Looking for a good mag mount Antenna for my 396xt

  • Richard Victor
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
      The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
      with a mag mount or for installation.

      It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
      put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet, etc.

      On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
      > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
      > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@...
      > John

    • Patrick - Used 2-Way
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
        I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my BCD996T.

        Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..

        On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.

        _____________________________________
        Blackberry PIN 216AB19A

        Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
        Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting

        _____

        The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
        with a mag mount or for installation.

        It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
        put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet, etc.

        On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
        > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for
        my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
        department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
        > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
        > John

      • Michael Bennett
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
          I second the recommendtion for the NMO 150/450/800. It's the best multi-band mobile antenna I've found. I'm using one of these on a ground plane set-up for a base antenna and it works great on all three bands as well.

          The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
          with a mag mount or for installation.

          It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
          put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet, etc.

          On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
          > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
          > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@...
          > John

        • William Edwards
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
            John,

            Here's one that you should try, if for no other reason than you'll be amazed
            at what 15 bucks will do for you.

            Go to www.dcace.com In the little SEARCH box, type "tri band rare earth".
            This will produce two search results for basically the same mag mount
            antenna, the only difference being that one of the versions terminates in an
            SMA connector (for direct connection to your XT) and the other terminates in
            a BNC connector (which requires a BNC-SMA adapter to connect to your XT).

            The antenna wire itself is much thinner than what we are used to, and the
            magnet itself is only about 1" in diameter, yet it holds to a trunk lid very
            well (works well at 80 mph on I-294, for example). It is configured for 2
            meters (150 MHz fire band), 70 cm (450 / 470 UHF bands), and 900 MHz (works
            fine on 700 and 800, too).

            Here's the issue with this antenna: the cable attached to it is very thin
            RG-62 (which is more like 20 gauge wire), much thinner than the RG-58 coax
            cable that we are used to on antennas. The good news is that this thin wire
            will bend easily to conform to the weather seal around a trunk lid or car
            door. The bad news is that the wire is flimsy and only 12 feet long. Most
            antenna mounts come with 17 feet or more. 12 feet is too short to make it
            from the trunk to the front seat if you route the wire around the interior
            body moldings. And the wire is too flimsy to leave exposed where it can get
            torn up - this I know from experience.

            So, my suggestion would be this: If you want to use the antenna in a mobile
            situation where the 12 foot cable will be sufficient, then get the SMA
            version which will screw directly onto your scanner.

            If you are going to mount on the trunk lid and want to hide (protect) the
            wire along the route from the trunk to the front seat, then get yourself a
            15' (or whatever you need - use a piece of string to measure the route)
            RG-58 extension cable. Use the cable on the antenna just to get inside the
            trunk - leaving plenty of slack so that the cable doesn't get destroyed the
            first time you open the trunk!! Then run your sturdier extension from the
            trunk to your scanner. You can get a custom-made extension cable with an
            SMA male on one end and SMA female on the other end from Pacific Custom
            Cable. Go to www.pacificcable.com/SMA-Cables.html . You can use their
            custom cable tool on that page to configure the extension cable you want
            (with SMA, BNC, mini-UHF, F, N, or TNC connectors!).

            I learned about this antenna from one of the CARMA founders, and its
            performance was impressive - after you deal with the short / flimsy cable
            issue.

            Bill E.

            On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM, squadguy2 <jrossfd@...> wrote:

            > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
            > for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
            > department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
            > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <jrossfd%40comcast.net>
            > John

          • Richard Victor
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
              It looks to me like RG-62 is .242" diameter. The coax is more likely
              RG-174 which is .100" diameter. Twelve feet of RG-174 will lose about
              3.5 dB at 800 MHz. If you add another 15 feet of RG-58 you'll lose
              about another 2.1 dB for a total of 5.6 dB. Not to mention the issues
              that might be presented by changing the length of the coax that feeds
              the antenna.

              With all due respect, by the time that one buys the antenna and the
              extension cable one has spent nearly as much as it would take to buy an
              antenna that's built properly in the first place.

              While I haven't tried that specific antenna, I do have a couple of the
              "rare earth magnet" antennas. They're handy when you need to get your
              scanner antenna outside of the vehicle to avoid the loss of signal
              caused by the body of the vehicle, but beyond that, I haven't been too
              impressed with them. The Larsen has been far better than the ones that
              I have.

              YMMV.

              Dick

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
                I've used the Larsen 150/450 NMO antennas for years and they are some of
                the best performing antennas. I've never tried the tri-band antenna, but
                it very likely is exactly what you are looking for.

                Joe M.

              • shelleysh1@att.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                  Joe,
                  Yes, your Larson and the multi-band are, without question, the best performing out there. I've also used/recommended both for well over 10+ years. The multi-band, NMO lip mount, has been the one I've personally used mobile for the last eight or nine years. Have absolutely no complaints, haven't found a better one and certainly tried quite a few!

                  Shelley

                  > I've used the Larsen 150/450 NMO antennas for years and they are some of
                  > the best performing antennas. I've never tried the tri-band antenna, but
                  > it very likely is exactly what you are looking for.
                  >
                  > Joe M.
                  >
                  > Patrick - Used 2-Way wrote:
                  > > I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my BCD996T.
                  > >

                  > > Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..
                  > >

                  > > On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.
                  > > _____________________________________
                  > > Blackberry PIN 216AB19A
                  > >
                  > > Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                  > > Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting
                  > >
                  > > _____

                • Cris Hanna
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                    I have not used the Larsen but may give it a try

                    ScannerMaster carries the Austin Sprectra. It's expensive at 99.00 but
                    I've been very impressed.

                    http://www.scannermaster.com/Austin_Spectra_Mobile_Antenna_p/04-540720.htm

                    Unfortunately the antenna I have on vehicle in addition to the Austin
                    Spectra, which is knocking it out of the park on all bands, is not made any
                    more. It is the Antenna Specialist MON 52 Lo band, High, UHF, 800 Mhz

                    I'm also planning to try this one in the near future
                    http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1171.html make sure you
                    check the link for the gain chart.

                    Patrick - Used 2-Way wrote:
                    > I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my
                    BCD996T.

                    > Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..
                    >

                    > On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.
                    >

                    > _____________________________________
                    > Blackberry PIN 216AB19A
                    >
                    > Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                    > Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                    Behalf
                    > Of Richard Victor
                    > Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:50 AM
                    > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Looking for a good mag mount Antenna for my 396xt
                    >

                    > The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
                    > with a mag mount or for installation.
                    >
                    > It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
                    > put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet,
                    etc.

                    > On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
                    >> I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
                    for
                    > my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
                    > department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
                    >> Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                    <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                    >> John

                    03:33:00

                  • Richard Victor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                      It appears that the Spectra is twice as long as the Larsen, so it could
                      be worth a try if the OP can handle that much length. Could be a bit of
                      a problem in parking ramps, garages, etc.

                    • SRehm24416@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                        Is there a link for this Larsen antenna?

                        From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                        f MCH
                        ent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:53 PM
                        o: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                        From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                        The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
                        with a mag mount or for installation.

                        It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
                        put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet,
                        tc.

                        On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
                        > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
                        or
                        my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
                        department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
                        > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                        mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                        > John

                        3:33:00

                      • Cris Hanna
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                          I have the sprectra mounted about half way up on my SUV tail gate using a
                          Comet NMO mount That's about the equivalent of a trunk mount.

                          Would be troublesome for roof top

                          It appears that the Spectra is twice as long as the Larsen, so it could
                          be worth a try if the OP can handle that much length. Could be a bit of
                          a problem in parking ramps, garages, etc.

                          On 6/7/2010 11:25 AM, Cris Hanna wrote:
                          > I have not used the Larsen but may give it a try
                          >
                          > ScannerMaster carries the Austin Sprectra. It's expensive at 99.00 but
                          > I've been very impressed.
                          >
                          > http://www.scannermaster.com/Austin_Spectra_Mobile_Antenna_p/04-540720.htm
                          >
                          > Unfortunately the antenna I have on vehicle in addition to the Austin
                          > Spectra, which is knocking it out of the park on all bands, is not made
                          any
                          > more. It is the Antenna Specialist MON 52 Lo band, High, UHF, 800 Mhz
                          >
                          > I'm also planning to try this one in the near future
                          > http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1171.html make sure you
                          > check the link for the gain chart.
                          >
                          > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          Behalf
                          > Of MCH
                          > Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:53 PM
                          > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Looking for a good mag mount Antenna for my 396xt
                          >
                          > I've used the Larsen 150/450 NMO antennas for years and they are some of
                          > the best performing antennas. I've never tried the tri-band antenna, but
                          > it very likely is exactly what you are looking for.
                          >
                          > Joe M.
                          >
                          > Patrick - Used 2-Way wrote:
                          >
                          >> I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my
                          > BCD996T.
                          >> Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..
                          >>
                          >> On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.
                          >>
                          >> _____________________________________
                          >> Blackberry PIN 216AB19A
                          >>
                          >> Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                          >> Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting
                          >>
                          >> _____
                          >>
                          >> From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>

                          > [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          >> The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
                          >> with a mag mount or for installation.
                          >>
                          >> It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
                          >> put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet,
                          >>
                          > etc.
                          >> On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
                          >>>
                          > for
                          >
                          >> my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
                          >> department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
                          >>
                          >>> Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                          <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>

                          > <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                          >
                          >>> John

                        • Mark Levine, D.C.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                            I have my Spectra mounted on an NMO trunk mount on the front passenger's
                            side of the hood/cowl on my SUV. Works well.

                            The longest I could put on a roof mount would be a 19" whip and even at
                            that, I would want it spring loaded. I also like the Antennex 150/450/800
                            center loaded antenna, unfortunately - no spring.

                            >I have the sprectra mounted about half way up on my SUV tail gate using a
                            > Comet NMO mount That's about the equivalent of a trunk mount.
                            >
                            > Would be troublesome for roof top

                          • Richard Victor
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                              I got mine at Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee, but I'm sure that
                              there are a number of other dealers as well.

                              http://www.aesham.com/

                              Dick