Looking for a good mag mount Antenna for my 396xt

  • squadguy2
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2010
      I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
      Please e-mail me at jrossfd@...
      John
    • Richard Victor
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
        The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
        with a mag mount or for installation.

        It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
        put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet, etc.

        On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
        > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
        > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@...
        > John

      • Patrick - Used 2-Way
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
          I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my BCD996T.

          Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..

          On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.

          _____________________________________
          Blackberry PIN 216AB19A

          Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
          Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting

          _____

          The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
          with a mag mount or for installation.

          It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
          put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet, etc.

          On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
          > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for
          my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
          department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
          > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
          > John

        • Michael Bennett
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
            I second the recommendtion for the NMO 150/450/800. It's the best multi-band mobile antenna I've found. I'm using one of these on a ground plane set-up for a base antenna and it works great on all three bands as well.

            The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
            with a mag mount or for installation.

            It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
            put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet, etc.

            On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
            > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
            > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@...
            > John

          • William Edwards
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
              John,

              Here's one that you should try, if for no other reason than you'll be amazed
              at what 15 bucks will do for you.

              Go to www.dcace.com In the little SEARCH box, type "tri band rare earth".
              This will produce two search results for basically the same mag mount
              antenna, the only difference being that one of the versions terminates in an
              SMA connector (for direct connection to your XT) and the other terminates in
              a BNC connector (which requires a BNC-SMA adapter to connect to your XT).

              The antenna wire itself is much thinner than what we are used to, and the
              magnet itself is only about 1" in diameter, yet it holds to a trunk lid very
              well (works well at 80 mph on I-294, for example). It is configured for 2
              meters (150 MHz fire band), 70 cm (450 / 470 UHF bands), and 900 MHz (works
              fine on 700 and 800, too).

              Here's the issue with this antenna: the cable attached to it is very thin
              RG-62 (which is more like 20 gauge wire), much thinner than the RG-58 coax
              cable that we are used to on antennas. The good news is that this thin wire
              will bend easily to conform to the weather seal around a trunk lid or car
              door. The bad news is that the wire is flimsy and only 12 feet long. Most
              antenna mounts come with 17 feet or more. 12 feet is too short to make it
              from the trunk to the front seat if you route the wire around the interior
              body moldings. And the wire is too flimsy to leave exposed where it can get
              torn up - this I know from experience.

              So, my suggestion would be this: If you want to use the antenna in a mobile
              situation where the 12 foot cable will be sufficient, then get the SMA
              version which will screw directly onto your scanner.

              If you are going to mount on the trunk lid and want to hide (protect) the
              wire along the route from the trunk to the front seat, then get yourself a
              15' (or whatever you need - use a piece of string to measure the route)
              RG-58 extension cable. Use the cable on the antenna just to get inside the
              trunk - leaving plenty of slack so that the cable doesn't get destroyed the
              first time you open the trunk!! Then run your sturdier extension from the
              trunk to your scanner. You can get a custom-made extension cable with an
              SMA male on one end and SMA female on the other end from Pacific Custom
              Cable. Go to www.pacificcable.com/SMA-Cables.html . You can use their
              custom cable tool on that page to configure the extension cable you want
              (with SMA, BNC, mini-UHF, F, N, or TNC connectors!).

              I learned about this antenna from one of the CARMA founders, and its
              performance was impressive - after you deal with the short / flimsy cable
              issue.

              Bill E.

              On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM, squadguy2 <jrossfd@...> wrote:

              > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
              > for my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
              > department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
              > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <jrossfd%40comcast.net>
              > John

            • Richard Victor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
                It looks to me like RG-62 is .242" diameter. The coax is more likely
                RG-174 which is .100" diameter. Twelve feet of RG-174 will lose about
                3.5 dB at 800 MHz. If you add another 15 feet of RG-58 you'll lose
                about another 2.1 dB for a total of 5.6 dB. Not to mention the issues
                that might be presented by changing the length of the coax that feeds
                the antenna.

                With all due respect, by the time that one buys the antenna and the
                extension cable one has spent nearly as much as it would take to buy an
                antenna that's built properly in the first place.

                While I haven't tried that specific antenna, I do have a couple of the
                "rare earth magnet" antennas. They're handy when you need to get your
                scanner antenna outside of the vehicle to avoid the loss of signal
                caused by the body of the vehicle, but beyond that, I haven't been too
                impressed with them. The Larsen has been far better than the ones that
                I have.

                YMMV.

                Dick

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 6, 2010
                  I've used the Larsen 150/450 NMO antennas for years and they are some of
                  the best performing antennas. I've never tried the tri-band antenna, but
                  it very likely is exactly what you are looking for.

                  Joe M.

                • shelleysh1@att.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                    Joe,
                    Yes, your Larson and the multi-band are, without question, the best performing out there. I've also used/recommended both for well over 10+ years. The multi-band, NMO lip mount, has been the one I've personally used mobile for the last eight or nine years. Have absolutely no complaints, haven't found a better one and certainly tried quite a few!

                    Shelley

                    > I've used the Larsen 150/450 NMO antennas for years and they are some of
                    > the best performing antennas. I've never tried the tri-band antenna, but
                    > it very likely is exactly what you are looking for.
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > Patrick - Used 2-Way wrote:
                    > > I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my BCD996T.
                    > >

                    > > Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..
                    > >

                    > > On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.
                    > > _____________________________________
                    > > Blackberry PIN 216AB19A
                    > >
                    > > Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                    > > Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting
                    > >
                    > > _____

                  • Cris Hanna
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                      I have not used the Larsen but may give it a try

                      ScannerMaster carries the Austin Sprectra. It's expensive at 99.00 but
                      I've been very impressed.

                      http://www.scannermaster.com/Austin_Spectra_Mobile_Antenna_p/04-540720.htm

                      Unfortunately the antenna I have on vehicle in addition to the Austin
                      Spectra, which is knocking it out of the park on all bands, is not made any
                      more. It is the Antenna Specialist MON 52 Lo band, High, UHF, 800 Mhz

                      I'm also planning to try this one in the near future
                      http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1171.html make sure you
                      check the link for the gain chart.

                      Patrick - Used 2-Way wrote:
                      > I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my
                      BCD996T.

                      > Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..
                      >

                      > On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.
                      >

                      > _____________________________________
                      > Blackberry PIN 216AB19A
                      >
                      > Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                      > Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                      Behalf
                      > Of Richard Victor
                      > Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:50 AM
                      > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Looking for a good mag mount Antenna for my 396xt
                      >

                      > The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
                      > with a mag mount or for installation.
                      >
                      > It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
                      > put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet,
                      etc.

                      > On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
                      >> I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
                      for
                      > my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
                      > department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
                      >> Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                      <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                      >> John

                      03:33:00

                    • Richard Victor
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                        It appears that the Spectra is twice as long as the Larsen, so it could
                        be worth a try if the OP can handle that much length. Could be a bit of
                        a problem in parking ramps, garages, etc.

                      • SRehm24416@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                          Is there a link for this Larsen antenna?

                          From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                          f MCH
                          ent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:53 PM
                          o: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

                          From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                          The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
                          with a mag mount or for installation.

                          It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
                          put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet,
                          tc.

                          On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
                          > I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
                          or
                          my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
                          department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
                          > Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                          mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                          > John

                          3:33:00

                        • Cris Hanna
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                            I have the sprectra mounted about half way up on my SUV tail gate using a
                            Comet NMO mount That's about the equivalent of a trunk mount.

                            Would be troublesome for roof top

                            It appears that the Spectra is twice as long as the Larsen, so it could
                            be worth a try if the OP can handle that much length. Could be a bit of
                            a problem in parking ramps, garages, etc.

                            On 6/7/2010 11:25 AM, Cris Hanna wrote:
                            > I have not used the Larsen but may give it a try
                            >
                            > ScannerMaster carries the Austin Sprectra. It's expensive at 99.00 but
                            > I've been very impressed.
                            >
                            > http://www.scannermaster.com/Austin_Spectra_Mobile_Antenna_p/04-540720.htm
                            >
                            > Unfortunately the antenna I have on vehicle in addition to the Austin
                            > Spectra, which is knocking it out of the park on all bands, is not made
                            any
                            > more. It is the Antenna Specialist MON 52 Lo band, High, UHF, 800 Mhz
                            >
                            > I'm also planning to try this one in the near future
                            > http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1171.html make sure you
                            > check the link for the gain chart.
                            >
                            > From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                            Behalf
                            > Of MCH
                            > Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:53 PM
                            > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Looking for a good mag mount Antenna for my 396xt
                            >
                            > I've used the Larsen 150/450 NMO antennas for years and they are some of
                            > the best performing antennas. I've never tried the tri-band antenna, but
                            > it very likely is exactly what you are looking for.
                            >
                            > Joe M.
                            >
                            > Patrick - Used 2-Way wrote:
                            >
                            >> I can 2nd that one. I believe that's what I have in my truck for my
                            > BCD996T.
                            >> Before that I was hooked to my BC780XLT..
                            >>
                            >> On both scanners I was very happy with the performance of the antenna.
                            >>
                            >> _____________________________________
                            >> Blackberry PIN 216AB19A
                            >>
                            >> Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                            >> Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting
                            >>
                            >> _____
                            >>
                            >> From: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>

                            > [mailto:BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
                            >> The Larsen NMO150/450/800 covers VHF, UHF and 800 MHz and you can buy it
                            >> with a mag mount or for installation.
                            >>
                            >> It will do a good job on your vehicle and also works well indoors if you
                            >> put it on a metal base such as a cookie sheet, pizza pan, file cabinet,
                            >>
                            > etc.
                            >> On 6/5/2010 10:30 PM, squadguy2 wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> I am from IL and a fire buff. I was looking for a magnet mount antenna
                            >>>
                            > for
                            >
                            >> my scanner. Does anyone have any recommendations? Remember for fire
                            >> department listening including the 800 trunk systems.
                            >>
                            >>> Please e-mail me at jrossfd@... <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                            <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>

                            > <mailto:jrossfd%40comcast.net>
                            >
                            >>> John

                          • Mark Levine, D.C.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                              I have my Spectra mounted on an NMO trunk mount on the front passenger's
                              side of the hood/cowl on my SUV. Works well.

                              The longest I could put on a roof mount would be a 19" whip and even at
                              that, I would want it spring loaded. I also like the Antennex 150/450/800
                              center loaded antenna, unfortunately - no spring.

                              >I have the sprectra mounted about half way up on my SUV tail gate using a
                              > Comet NMO mount That's about the equivalent of a trunk mount.
                              >
                              > Would be troublesome for roof top

                            • Richard Victor
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010
                                I got mine at Amateur Electronic Supply in Milwaukee, but I'm sure that
                                there are a number of other dealers as well.

                                http://www.aesham.com/

                                Dick