Re: [BCD396XT] UID Programming

  • Dave Landrum
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2010
      Hello,

      First, make a Group or use an existing Group to enter a Channel. Program or enter UID (iXXXXX) where you enter TG, then enter the Alias or Alpha Tag. The Display will alternate between the UID Alias and TG Alpha Tag.

      HTHs

      73

      Dave L.

      .
      Message 2 of 10 , May 10, 2010
        Using FreeSCAN you can also do it fairly easily using the method Dave mentioned.

      • SRehm24416@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2010
          Thanks Dave. I played around a bit with an exsisting system I have. I entered the UID as a TGID and then alpha tagged it. It does work. It does alternate between the two. A bit of work but cool. Now, as long as they don't go changing radios on me I won't have to go back and do this some more.

          Jeff

          First, make a Group or use an existing Group to enter a Channel. Program or
          nter UID (iXXXXX) where you enter TG, then enter the Alias or Alpha Tag. The
          isplay will alternate between the UID Alias and TG Alpha Tag.
          HTHs
          73
          Dave L.

          Don't waste your time with programming alpha tags.
          t's a work in progress.
          SRehm24416@... wrote:

          I tried looking in the online user manual for the XT on programming
          alpha tags to a UID. I had trouble getting something to show up. I
          even used the search box but only got the firmware update link. Where
          can I find "how" to give a UID an alpha tag? Thanks.

        • Aaron Siller
          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2010
            the only radio id's that will most likely NOT change is the dispatchers for example if you put in the fire ems and police cars if you will and one breaks down the they change shops thus the radio id changes

            Thanks

            Aaron Siller

            N5AMS

            Aldine,Tx

            http://www.twitter.com/n5ams

            http://www.n5amsaudio.blogspot.com

            Message 5 of 10 , May 11, 2010
              So far I have figured out that my city's police department uses one id for the car, one for the main portable radio (one man car) and anything goes for the other portable radio (if two man car). The system is such that an officer could use his/her portable radio the whole shift, and if it is not assigned to that car I would be out of luck. So basically I have a one in three chance of getting it right in the programming mode of the uid's. But I'll keep trying.

              From: SRehm24416@... <SRehm24416@...>
              ubject: Re: [BCD396XT] UID Programming
              o: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
              ate: Monday, May 10, 2010, 7:50 AM

              Message 6 of 10 , May 11, 2010
                Hello,

                When aliasing UIDs, I try to name the department, not the individual. Departments have call signs so I use the call sign to confirm the department. If aliasing by individual, that's a lot of name changing.

                73

                Dave L.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 11, 2010
                  Just tag the 2nd radio as "spare-1", "spare-2", or whatever name you
                  wish for those "floating units that may ride in different cars. I tag
                  Pensacola, FL PD like that, even on FD, Public Works, etc... there is
                  always "floaters" that hop from unit to unit in all of the departments,
                  here at least the radios actually stay with the same person, so I can
                  tell who they are, in a small town like P'Cola, FL, you learn the voices
                  and each one's personal slang or catch phrase fairly quick. I even use
                  some of the nicknames of the Sanitation guys I happen to have overheard,
                  lol.

                  Hope that may help sort it out a bit more,
                  Walter

                  On 5/11/2010 4:12 AM, SRehm24416@... wrote:

                  > So far I have figured out that my city's police department uses one id
                  > for the car, one for the main portable radio (one man car) and
                  > anything goes for the other portable radio (if two man car). The
                  > system is such that an officer could use his/her portable radio the
                  > whole shift, and if it is not assigned to that car I would be out of
                  > luck. So basically I have a one in three chance of getting it right in
                  > the programming mode of the uid's. But I'll keep trying.

                • Patrick - Used 2-Way
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 11, 2010
                    There shouldn't be any duplicate ID's on the system. Every single radio on
                    the system will have an individual ID.

                    What most departments do is block IDs together. Actually this is not
                    necessarily a Dept thing but more of a radio shop programming thing.

                    Also keep in mind if a radio is not assigned to an individual, it will be
                    rotated through out the dept. Sure it might be kept in a certain division,
                    but it makes marking the ID difficult.

                    When I worked for a 2-way shop we gave FD's a block of ID's, PD had a block
                    of ID's, Public Works has their own block of ID's.

                    This helped us find unauthorized users who would try to use a random ID. If
                    we saw an ID that didn't match our Blocking scheme, we had an easier time
                    blocking the ID when we checked the master Logs.

                    It also showed us if FD radios affiliated with PD talk groups and stuff like
                    that.

                    _____________________________________
                    Blackberry PIN 216AB19A

                    Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile, iPhone Repair
                    Motorola 2-Way Radio Service and Technical Consulting

                    _____

                    http://www.twitter. <http://www.twitter.com/n5ams> com/n5ams
                    http://www.n5amsaud <http://www.n5amsaudio.blogspot.com> io.blogspot.com
                    --- On Mon, 5/10/10, SRehm24416@aol. <mailto:SRehm24416%40aol.com> com