My 2cents on the 396XT

  • dataman60435
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2010
      People say you have to be crazy to program the 396XT by hand, well, im a lunatic because i have done just that with 50 Systems programmed...Its great fun and after awhile its gets real easy...Im retired and what a good way to have spent the winter months...I have my home city in three different "systems" designed differently so when certain things happen using the "hold on system" is a great feature...In my opinion this is one of the best scanners i have owned in 40 years of scanning....I owned a 246xt and 396t previous so the programming came easy ...I did print the early manual which was on the FCC approved site of this scanner and it was only about 110 pages...Also going to www.marksscanners.com was a big help being the other early models were similiar....
    • Clayton
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2010
        It depends on how much stuff you have to program, and how much time you have
        to do it. I have approx 221 systems & 278 sites, almost all with GPS info.

        I wouldn't say you have to be nuts to program by hand, just patient :)

        Clayton

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2010
          I live in ma and have programmed all of my systems on my radio by hand.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2010
            My patience, eyesight and eye/hand coordination would make manual entry a bad bet! I'm glad there are folks who are willing to do it, but the computer is a huge benefit for me. YMMV...

            73

          • dmccorm@charter.net
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2010
              undefined