RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2010
      Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.

      The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

      From: Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> >
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM

      I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one of
      the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
      comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is meant
      to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
      printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
      pages necessary for the operation of their model.

      _____

      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2010
        I wish I could get this point out to the new users of these scanners

        Anthony <brdlevel@...> wrote:

        >Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.
        >
        >The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

      • Eric Noah Hart
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2010
          Personally, I have an iPod touch, and one of the new iPads. I like having
          the manual in PDF format as I can use it literally anywhere that I am when I
          don't know something, or have forgotten how to use a specific function. I
          will go out of the way when I get something new, to find the manual in PDF
          format so that I can keep it with me. As for the size of the BCD396XT
          manual, printed out it would actually be 273 pages, or 137 double sided
          pages (at least the manual that I have which I am using "BCD396XT, The
          Complete Reference", dated May 14, 2009).

          Eric

          _____

          From: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2010
            The BCD396XT - The Complete Reference is 273 pages, but it's a different
            document than the users' guides. The Uniden Scanner Users Guides are
            downloadable at:

            http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SiteExport

            Unfortunately, I'm not getting a good download of the pdf at this time.
            Don't know if it's a site problem or on my end.

            My previously downloaded copy of the Users Guides is 1059 pages. Both
            documents are useful, but quite different in content and presentation.

            Dick

          • johnstark@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2010
              Everything is going to be "manualess" soon. GRE doesn't have a manual for their scanners either and to be honest it makes sense with the newer scanners as they can litteraly change things overnight and update the PDF as quick. Personally I'd rather the money spent on putting a manual together and printed be used for R&D and new system types and features.
              And with a lot of the newer cell phones the PDF is a click or two away and I can read it anywhere.
              John
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                IMO, As more current electronics feature flashable firmware, it makes only
                sense to have a online pdf manual to implement the latest's revisions and
                features that are added in the firmware.

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                  Owners mannuel is in html on the cd.

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                    Be aware of changing any Freescan default settings or you may get stuck with redundant and annoying frequencies, frequency groups! for example Custom 1 -10!

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pat Johnson <aniceaustinguy@...> wrote:

                    > I am downloading freescan now, I'm sure after I figure it out, it will become easy and I have a subscription for radioreference.
                    >
                    > "The Passion to Help"
                    >

                    > Pat Johnson
                    > Neighborhood Watch Captain
                    > 512-680-3190

                    > IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, and any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information under the Texas Public Information Act or other applicable state and federal laws. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

                    > nuts.
                    >
                    > I suggest having the manual printed at Kinkos

                  • Richard Victor
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                      I think that the downloadable pdf may be more easily printed. In
                      general, htmls don't print particularly well.