RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2010
      Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.

      The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

      From: Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> >
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM

      I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one of
      the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
      comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is meant
      to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
      printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
      pages necessary for the operation of their model.

      _____

      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2010
        I’ll bet it also has to do with the fact that the 396xt can be changed via software and the paper manual would be outdated.

        when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd

        i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8 bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

        i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual

        _________________________________
        LH's Daily Tagline

        Trust, but verify.
        Ronald Reagan

        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2010
          It would be nice if they had a nice paper manual like they used to have
          available for a reasonable price for those who want it. However, I'm sure
          there are enough costs involved in laying a manual out and printing it, that
          it may not be that reasonable. I have always read through the manual that
          came with every previous model that had a paper manual and kept it around
          for a while for reference, then put it back in the box. For the XT's, I
          browsed the online manual, printed off a few pages that covered the new
          stuff and kept those with me for a while. Times change, sometimes we just
          have to change with them.

          My 2 cents

          Clayton

          _____

          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2010
            I wish I could get this point out to the new users of these scanners

            Anthony <brdlevel@...> wrote:

            >Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.
            >
            >The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

          • Eric Noah Hart
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2010
              Personally, I have an iPod touch, and one of the new iPads. I like having
              the manual in PDF format as I can use it literally anywhere that I am when I
              don't know something, or have forgotten how to use a specific function. I
              will go out of the way when I get something new, to find the manual in PDF
              format so that I can keep it with me. As for the size of the BCD396XT
              manual, printed out it would actually be 273 pages, or 137 double sided
              pages (at least the manual that I have which I am using "BCD396XT, The
              Complete Reference", dated May 14, 2009).

              Eric

              _____

              From: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

              Mr. L. Harris wrote:
              > Hello Mr Clayton
              >
              > I agree with you,, on this issue.
              > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
              >
              > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
              bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

              > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
              >

              > _________________________________
              > LH's Daily Tagline
              >

              > Trust, but verify.
              > Ronald Reagan
              >

              > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
              <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
              com> wrote:

              > From: Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
              <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
              > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
              > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
              > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
              >

              > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
              of
              > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
              > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
              meant
              > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
              > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
              > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
              >
              > _____

            • Richard Victor
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                The BCD396XT - The Complete Reference is 273 pages, but it's a different
                document than the users' guides. The Uniden Scanner Users Guides are
                downloadable at:

                http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SiteExport

                Unfortunately, I'm not getting a good download of the pdf at this time.
                Don't know if it's a site problem or on my end.

                My previously downloaded copy of the Users Guides is 1059 pages. Both
                documents are useful, but quite different in content and presentation.

                Dick

              • johnstark@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                  Everything is going to be "manualess" soon. GRE doesn't have a manual for their scanners either and to be honest it makes sense with the newer scanners as they can litteraly change things overnight and update the PDF as quick. Personally I'd rather the money spent on putting a manual together and printed be used for R&D and new system types and features.
                  And with a lot of the newer cell phones the PDF is a click or two away and I can read it anywhere.
                  John
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                    IMO, As more current electronics feature flashable firmware, it makes only
                    sense to have a online pdf manual to implement the latest's revisions and
                    features that are added in the firmware.

                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                      Owners mannuel is in html on the cd.

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                        Be aware of changing any Freescan default settings or you may get stuck with redundant and annoying frequencies, frequency groups! for example Custom 1 -10!

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pat Johnson <aniceaustinguy@...> wrote:

                        > I am downloading freescan now, I'm sure after I figure it out, it will become easy and I have a subscription for radioreference.
                        >
                        > "The Passion to Help"
                        >

                        > Pat Johnson
                        > Neighborhood Watch Captain
                        > 512-680-3190

                        > IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, and any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information under the Texas Public Information Act or other applicable state and federal laws. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

                        > nuts.
                        >
                        > I suggest having the manual printed at Kinkos

                      • Richard Victor
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                          I think that the downloadable pdf may be more easily printed. In
                          general, htmls don't print particularly well.