RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner

  • Jack Ramsey
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2010
      This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
      Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

      http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    • Clayton
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1, 2010
        I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one of
        the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
        comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is meant
        to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
        printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
        pages necessary for the operation of their model.

        _____

        This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
        Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

        http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html> .com/refer.html

      • Jack Ramsey
        Message 3 of 23 , May 1, 2010
          I understood Paul's comment to refer to the 396xt. Please accept my
          apologies.

          http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

          Message 4 of 23 , May 1, 2010
            It obviously does not work very well, as
            their spam made it through to your post. ;-P

            Joe M.

            Jack Ramsey wrote:
            > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
            > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
          • Mr. L. Harris
            Message 5 of 23 , May 1, 2010
              Hello Mr Clayton

              I agree with you,, on this issue.
              when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd

              i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8 bucks but i am still astounded about allt this  "GREEN" stuff

              i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual

              _________________________________
              LH's Daily Tagline

              Trust, but verify.
              Ronald Reagan

              This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
              Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

              http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

            • Cris Hanna
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                My company just sent me to 5 days of IT Training which was several thousand dollars and I had to print out the PDF files.

                This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

              • Anthony
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                  Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.

                  The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

                  This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                  Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                  http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

                • TxLevi
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                    I’ll bet it also has to do with the fact that the 396xt can be changed via software and the paper manual would be outdated.

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                      I've paid a lot more than that for things
                      and have not gotten a paper manual.

                      On the other hand, I also have a ton of manuals
                      I do not, and likely will not ever, use.

                      To add insult to injury, when I need a manual anymore,
                      I usually Google it rather than try to find the hard copy.

                      It's not like you are without the possibility of a paper manual - you
                      just have to print it yourself (or use a service like Kinkos) rather
                      than get it pre-printed (most of which will only serve to fill landfills
                      faster). Let the people who want paper buy the paper.

                      I would not be surprised if there are government
                      incentives for companies that are 'going green', too.

                      But, this has all been said before (just not all at once).

                      Joe M.

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                        It would be nice if they had a nice paper manual like they used to have
                        available for a reasonable price for those who want it. However, I'm sure
                        there are enough costs involved in laying a manual out and printing it, that
                        it may not be that reasonable. I have always read through the manual that
                        came with every previous model that had a paper manual and kept it around
                        for a while for reference, then put it back in the box. For the XT's, I
                        browsed the online manual, printed off a few pages that covered the new
                        stuff and kept those with me for a while. Times change, sometimes we just
                        have to change with them.

                        My 2 cents

                        Clayton

                        _____

                        Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                        > Hello Mr Clayton
                        >
                        > I agree with you,, on this issue.
                        > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
                        >
                        > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
                        bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

                        > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
                        >

                        > _________________________________
                        > LH's Daily Tagline
                        >

                        > Trust, but verify.
                        > Ronald Reagan
                        >

                        > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@.... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
                        com> wrote:

                        > From: Clayton <scan-kc@.... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
                        > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
                        > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                        > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
                        >

                        > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
                        of
                        > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                        > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
                        meant
                        > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                        > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                        > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Jan Fine
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                          I wish I could get this point out to the new users of these scanners

                          Anthony <brdlevel@...> wrote:

                          >Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.
                          >
                          >The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

                        • Eric Noah Hart
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                            Personally, I have an iPod touch, and one of the new iPads. I like having
                            the manual in PDF format as I can use it literally anywhere that I am when I
                            don't know something, or have forgotten how to use a specific function. I
                            will go out of the way when I get something new, to find the manual in PDF
                            format so that I can keep it with me. As for the size of the BCD396XT
                            manual, printed out it would actually be 273 pages, or 137 double sided
                            pages (at least the manual that I have which I am using "BCD396XT, The
                            Complete Reference", dated May 14, 2009).

                            Eric

                            _____

                            From: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

                            Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                            > Hello Mr Clayton
                            >
                            > I agree with you,, on this issue.
                            > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
                            >
                            > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
                            bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

                            > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
                            >

                            > _________________________________
                            > LH's Daily Tagline
                            >

                            > Trust, but verify.
                            > Ronald Reagan
                            >

                            > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
                            <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
                            com> wrote:

                            > From: Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
                            <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
                            > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
                            > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                            > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
                            >

                            > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
                            of
                            > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                            > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
                            meant
                            > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                            > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                            > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
                            >
                            > _____

                          • Richard Victor
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                              The BCD396XT - The Complete Reference is 273 pages, but it's a different
                              document than the users' guides. The Uniden Scanner Users Guides are
                              downloadable at:

                              http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SiteExport

                              Unfortunately, I'm not getting a good download of the pdf at this time.
                              Don't know if it's a site problem or on my end.

                              My previously downloaded copy of the Users Guides is 1059 pages. Both
                              documents are useful, but quite different in content and presentation.

                              Dick

                            • johnstark@earthlink.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                Everything is going to be "manualess" soon. GRE doesn't have a manual for their scanners either and to be honest it makes sense with the newer scanners as they can litteraly change things overnight and update the PDF as quick. Personally I'd rather the money spent on putting a manual together and printed be used for R&D and new system types and features.
                                And with a lot of the newer cell phones the PDF is a click or two away and I can read it anywhere.
                                John
                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                  IMO, As more current electronics feature flashable firmware, it makes only
                                  sense to have a online pdf manual to implement the latest's revisions and
                                  features that are added in the firmware.

                                • Tom
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                    Owners mannuel is in html on the cd.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                      Be aware of changing any Freescan default settings or you may get stuck with redundant and annoying frequencies, frequency groups! for example Custom 1 -10!

                                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pat Johnson <aniceaustinguy@...> wrote:

                                      > I am downloading freescan now, I'm sure after I figure it out, it will become easy and I have a subscription for radioreference.
                                      >
                                      > "The Passion to Help"
                                      >

                                      > Pat Johnson
                                      > Neighborhood Watch Captain
                                      > 512-680-3190

                                      > IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, and any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information under the Texas Public Information Act or other applicable state and federal laws. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

                                      > nuts.
                                      >
                                      > I suggest having the manual printed at Kinkos

                                    • Richard Victor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                        I think that the downloadable pdf may be more easily printed. In
                                        general, htmls don't print particularly well.