RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner

  • Clayton
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
      If your printed manual exceeds 1000 pages, you must have the super-giant
      print edition. The original 996T paper manual is only 147 pages.

      Clayton

      _____

      Message 2 of 23 , May 1 7:38 AM
        This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
        Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

        Message 3 of 23 , May 1 1:23 PM
          I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one of
          the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
          comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is meant
          to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
          printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
          pages necessary for the operation of their model.

          _____

          Message 4 of 23 , May 1 6:13 PM
            I understood Paul's comment to refer to the 396xt. Please accept my
            apologies.

            http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

            Message 5 of 23 , May 1 6:44 PM
              It obviously does not work very well, as
              their spam made it through to your post. ;-P

              Joe M.

              Jack Ramsey wrote:
              > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
              > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
            • Mr. L. Harris
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1 8:13 PM
                Hello Mr Clayton

                I agree with you,, on this issue.
                when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd

                i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8 bucks but i am still astounded about allt this  "GREEN" stuff

                i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual

                _________________________________
                LH's Daily Tagline

                Trust, but verify.
                Ronald Reagan

                This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

              • Cris Hanna
                Message 7 of 23 , May 1 8:24 PM
                  My company just sent me to 5 days of IT Training which was several thousand dollars and I had to print out the PDF files.

                  This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                  Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                  http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

                • Anthony
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 1 9:07 PM
                    Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.

                    The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

                    This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                    Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                    http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

                  • TxLevi
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 2 3:08 AM
                      I’ll bet it also has to do with the fact that the 396xt can be changed via software and the paper manual would be outdated.

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 2 4:40 AM
                        I've paid a lot more than that for things
                        and have not gotten a paper manual.

                        On the other hand, I also have a ton of manuals
                        I do not, and likely will not ever, use.

                        To add insult to injury, when I need a manual anymore,
                        I usually Google it rather than try to find the hard copy.

                        It's not like you are without the possibility of a paper manual - you
                        just have to print it yourself (or use a service like Kinkos) rather
                        than get it pre-printed (most of which will only serve to fill landfills
                        faster). Let the people who want paper buy the paper.

                        I would not be surprised if there are government
                        incentives for companies that are 'going green', too.

                        But, this has all been said before (just not all at once).

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 2 4:53 AM
                          It would be nice if they had a nice paper manual like they used to have
                          available for a reasonable price for those who want it. However, I'm sure
                          there are enough costs involved in laying a manual out and printing it, that
                          it may not be that reasonable. I have always read through the manual that
                          came with every previous model that had a paper manual and kept it around
                          for a while for reference, then put it back in the box. For the XT's, I
                          browsed the online manual, printed off a few pages that covered the new
                          stuff and kept those with me for a while. Times change, sometimes we just
                          have to change with them.

                          My 2 cents

                          Clayton

                          _____

                          Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                          > Hello Mr Clayton
                          >
                          > I agree with you,, on this issue.
                          > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
                          >
                          > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
                          bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

                          > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
                          >

                          > _________________________________
                          > LH's Daily Tagline
                          >

                          > Trust, but verify.
                          > Ronald Reagan
                          >

                          > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@.... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
                          com> wrote:

                          > From: Clayton <scan-kc@.... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
                          > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
                          > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                          > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
                          >

                          > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
                          of
                          > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                          > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
                          meant
                          > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                          > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                          > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
                          >
                          > _____

                        • Jan Fine
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 2 9:21 AM
                            I wish I could get this point out to the new users of these scanners

                            Anthony <brdlevel@...> wrote:

                            >Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.
                            >
                            >The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

                          • Eric Noah Hart
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 2 9:52 AM
                              Personally, I have an iPod touch, and one of the new iPads. I like having
                              the manual in PDF format as I can use it literally anywhere that I am when I
                              don't know something, or have forgotten how to use a specific function. I
                              will go out of the way when I get something new, to find the manual in PDF
                              format so that I can keep it with me. As for the size of the BCD396XT
                              manual, printed out it would actually be 273 pages, or 137 double sided
                              pages (at least the manual that I have which I am using "BCD396XT, The
                              Complete Reference", dated May 14, 2009).

                              Eric

                              _____

                              From: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

                              Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                              > Hello Mr Clayton
                              >
                              > I agree with you,, on this issue.
                              > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
                              >
                              > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
                              bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

                              > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
                              >

                              > _________________________________
                              > LH's Daily Tagline
                              >

                              > Trust, but verify.
                              > Ronald Reagan
                              >

                              > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
                              <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
                              com> wrote:

                              > From: Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
                              <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
                              > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
                              > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                              > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
                              >

                              > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
                              of
                              > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                              > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
                              meant
                              > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                              > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                              > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
                              >
                              > _____

                            • Richard Victor
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 2 10:11 AM
                                The BCD396XT - The Complete Reference is 273 pages, but it's a different
                                document than the users' guides. The Uniden Scanner Users Guides are
                                downloadable at:

                                http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SiteExport

                                Unfortunately, I'm not getting a good download of the pdf at this time.
                                Don't know if it's a site problem or on my end.

                                My previously downloaded copy of the Users Guides is 1059 pages. Both
                                documents are useful, but quite different in content and presentation.

                                Dick

                              • johnstark@earthlink.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 2 10:50 AM
                                  Everything is going to be "manualess" soon. GRE doesn't have a manual for their scanners either and to be honest it makes sense with the newer scanners as they can litteraly change things overnight and update the PDF as quick. Personally I'd rather the money spent on putting a manual together and printed be used for R&D and new system types and features.
                                  And with a lot of the newer cell phones the PDF is a click or two away and I can read it anywhere.
                                  John
                                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 2 12:38 PM
                                    IMO, As more current electronics feature flashable firmware, it makes only
                                    sense to have a online pdf manual to implement the latest's revisions and
                                    features that are added in the firmware.

                                  • Tom
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 2 1:03 PM
                                      Owners mannuel is in html on the cd.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 2 6:48 PM
                                        Be aware of changing any Freescan default settings or you may get stuck with redundant and annoying frequencies, frequency groups! for example Custom 1 -10!

                                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pat Johnson <aniceaustinguy@...> wrote:

                                        > I am downloading freescan now, I'm sure after I figure it out, it will become easy and I have a subscription for radioreference.
                                        >
                                        > "The Passion to Help"
                                        >

                                        > Pat Johnson
                                        > Neighborhood Watch Captain
                                        > 512-680-3190

                                        > IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, and any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information under the Texas Public Information Act or other applicable state and federal laws. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

                                        > nuts.
                                        >
                                        > I suggest having the manual printed at Kinkos

                                      • Richard Victor
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 2 7:16 PM
                                          I think that the downloadable pdf may be more easily printed. In
                                          general, htmls don't print particularly well.