Have scanner

  • Pat Johnson
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
      I just don't understand these features or how to add additional frequencies, or lockout channels.
    • Cris Hanna
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
        The simplest way to program the scanner is using software such as FreeScan
        and a subscription to RadioReference.com Hand programming will drive you
        nuts.

        I suggest having the manual printed at Kinkos

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
          I am downloading freescan now, I'm sure after I figure it out, it will become easy and I have a subscription for radioreference.

          "The Passion to Help"

          Pat Johnson
          Neighborhood Watch Captain
          512-680-3190

          IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, and any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information under the Texas Public Information Act or other applicable state and federal laws. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
            Lockout: With display stopped on the channel you wish to lock out, press
            L/O once for "temporary" (locked out until scanner is turned off, then
            turned on again), or quickly press twice for "permanent" (locked out until
            you press "Menu", then press down top knob to enter "Program System."
            Scroll with top knob in either direction until you find the system in which
            the locked channel is located. Press down top knob once.

            If channel is conventional, scroll to "Edit Sys Option." Press down top
            knob. Scroll to "Set Lockout." Press down top knob. Scroll to desired
            function. Press down top knob. Press "Scan."

            If channel is trunked, scroll to "Edit Site." Press down top knob. Scroll
            to relevant channel. Press down top knob. Scroll to "Set Lockout." Press
            down top knob. Scroll to desired function. Press down top knob. Press
            "Scan."

            The "E yes" key can be pressed instead of the top knob.

            Printed manual exceeds 1000 pages.

            http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

          • Clayton
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
              If your printed manual exceeds 1000 pages, you must have the super-giant
              print edition. The original 996T paper manual is only 147 pages.

              Clayton

              _____

[...]

              http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html> .com/refer.html

            • Jack Ramsey
              Message 6 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                Message 7 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                  I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one of
                  the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                  comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is meant
                  to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                  printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                  pages necessary for the operation of their model.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                    I understood Paul's comment to refer to the 396xt. Please accept my
                    apologies.

                    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                      It obviously does not work very well, as
                      their spam made it through to your post. ;-P

                      Joe M.

                      Jack Ramsey wrote:
                      > I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?
                      > http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html
                    • Mr. L. Harris
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                        Hello Mr Clayton

                        I agree with you,, on this issue.
                        when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd

                        i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8 bucks but i am still astounded about allt this  "GREEN" stuff

                        i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual

                        _________________________________
                        LH's Daily Tagline

                        Trust, but verify.
                        Ronald Reagan

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                          My company just sent me to 5 days of IT Training which was several thousand dollars and I had to print out the PDF files.

                          This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                          Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                          http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

                        • Anthony
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 1, 2010
                            Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.

                            The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

                            This site pertains to the BCD396XT. In a post dated June 8, 2009, Paul
                            Opitz states "Note that the pdf is 1,059 pages if printed."

                            http://www.polesoft <http://www.polesoft .com/refer. html> .com/refer.html

                          • TxLevi
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                              I’ll bet it also has to do with the fact that the 396xt can be changed via software and the paper manual would be outdated.

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                I've paid a lot more than that for things
                                and have not gotten a paper manual.

                                On the other hand, I also have a ton of manuals
                                I do not, and likely will not ever, use.

                                To add insult to injury, when I need a manual anymore,
                                I usually Google it rather than try to find the hard copy.

                                It's not like you are without the possibility of a paper manual - you
                                just have to print it yourself (or use a service like Kinkos) rather
                                than get it pre-printed (most of which will only serve to fill landfills
                                faster). Let the people who want paper buy the paper.

                                I would not be surprised if there are government
                                incentives for companies that are 'going green', too.

                                But, this has all been said before (just not all at once).

                                Joe M.

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                  It would be nice if they had a nice paper manual like they used to have
                                  available for a reasonable price for those who want it. However, I'm sure
                                  there are enough costs involved in laying a manual out and printing it, that
                                  it may not be that reasonable. I have always read through the manual that
                                  came with every previous model that had a paper manual and kept it around
                                  for a while for reference, then put it back in the box. For the XT's, I
                                  browsed the online manual, printed off a few pages that covered the new
                                  stuff and kept those with me for a while. Times change, sometimes we just
                                  have to change with them.

                                  My 2 cents

                                  Clayton

                                  _____

                                  Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                                  > Hello Mr Clayton
                                  >
                                  > I agree with you,, on this issue.
                                  > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
                                  >
                                  > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
                                  bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

                                  > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
                                  >

                                  > _________________________________
                                  > LH's Daily Tagline
                                  >

                                  > Trust, but verify.
                                  > Ronald Reagan
                                  >

                                  > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@.... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
                                  com> wrote:

                                  > From: Clayton <scan-kc@.... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
                                  > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
                                  > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                                  > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
                                  >

                                  > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
                                  of
                                  > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                                  > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
                                  meant
                                  > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                                  > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                                  > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                • Jan Fine
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                    I wish I could get this point out to the new users of these scanners

                                    Anthony <brdlevel@...> wrote:

                                    >Learning to use your BCD396XT is like having sex.
                                    >
                                    >The more you play with it, the more you understand it.

                                  • Eric Noah Hart
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                      Personally, I have an iPod touch, and one of the new iPads. I like having
                                      the manual in PDF format as I can use it literally anywhere that I am when I
                                      don't know something, or have forgotten how to use a specific function. I
                                      will go out of the way when I get something new, to find the manual in PDF
                                      format so that I can keep it with me. As for the size of the BCD396XT
                                      manual, printed out it would actually be 273 pages, or 137 double sided
                                      pages (at least the manual that I have which I am using "BCD396XT, The
                                      Complete Reference", dated May 14, 2009).

                                      Eric

                                      _____

                                      From: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

                                      Mr. L. Harris wrote:
                                      > Hello Mr Clayton
                                      >
                                      > I agree with you,, on this issue.
                                      > when i bought my 396xt i couldnt believe the manual was on cd
                                      >
                                      > i just took the cd to kinkos (fed x i think)and had it printed out for 8
                                      bucks but i am still astounded about allt this "GREEN" stuff

                                      > i paid 525 for a scanner, i want a manual
                                      >

                                      > _________________________________
                                      > LH's Daily Tagline
                                      >

                                      > Trust, but verify.
                                      > Ronald Reagan
                                      >

                                      > --- On Sat, 5/1/10, Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
                                      <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com>
                                      com> wrote:

                                      > From: Clayton <scan-kc@... <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr> .
                                      <mailto:scan-kc%40kc.rr.com> com>
                                      > Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Have scanner
                                      > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroup <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                                      > Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 3:23 PM
                                      >

                                      > I'm well aware this site pertains to the 396XT, however the 996T was one
                                      of
                                      > the last models to include a paper manual, therefore it was stated for
                                      > comparison. In addition, if you look at the PDF file you sited, it is
                                      meant
                                      > to cover the 4 XT models and has extraneous info that would not need to be
                                      > printed out for a 396XT. Ideally, one would sift through and print out the
                                      > pages necessary for the operation of their model.
                                      >
                                      > _____

                                    • Richard Victor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                        The BCD396XT - The Complete Reference is 273 pages, but it's a different
                                        document than the users' guides. The Uniden Scanner Users Guides are
                                        downloadable at:

                                        http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/SiteExport

                                        Unfortunately, I'm not getting a good download of the pdf at this time.
                                        Don't know if it's a site problem or on my end.

                                        My previously downloaded copy of the Users Guides is 1059 pages. Both
                                        documents are useful, but quite different in content and presentation.

                                        Dick

                                      • johnstark@earthlink.net
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                          Everything is going to be "manualess" soon. GRE doesn't have a manual for their scanners either and to be honest it makes sense with the newer scanners as they can litteraly change things overnight and update the PDF as quick. Personally I'd rather the money spent on putting a manual together and printed be used for R&D and new system types and features.
                                          And with a lot of the newer cell phones the PDF is a click or two away and I can read it anywhere.
                                          John
                                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                            IMO, As more current electronics feature flashable firmware, it makes only
                                            sense to have a online pdf manual to implement the latest's revisions and
                                            features that are added in the firmware.

                                          • Tom
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                              Owners mannuel is in html on the cd.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                                Be aware of changing any Freescan default settings or you may get stuck with redundant and annoying frequencies, frequency groups! for example Custom 1 -10!

                                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Pat Johnson <aniceaustinguy@...> wrote:

                                                > I am downloading freescan now, I'm sure after I figure it out, it will become easy and I have a subscription for radioreference.
                                                >
                                                > "The Passion to Help"
                                                >

                                                > Pat Johnson
                                                > Neighborhood Watch Captain
                                                > 512-680-3190

                                                > IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, and any attachments, may contain privileged or confidential information under the Texas Public Information Act or other applicable state and federal laws. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

                                                > nuts.
                                                >
                                                > I suggest having the manual printed at Kinkos

                                              • Richard Victor
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                                                  I think that the downloadable pdf may be more easily printed. In
                                                  general, htmls don't print particularly well.