Re: [BCD396XT] New User, Not Stupid, but in over my head, someone help!

  • Richard Victor
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010
      First step should be to get the scanner and the computer communicating.
      I'd suggest that you look at this info from the RR wiki:

      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Freescan_-_Connecting_Scanner_to_PC

      BTW, you may be a guy and that probably won't change, but reading the
      directions (and a bunch of other stuff as well) is required if you
      expect to enjoy the scanner. It's too complex to just fake it unless
      you're already a scanner whiz.

      Dick

      On 4/21/2010 3:47 PM, Happierwithoutclothes wrote:
      > I had an old analog scanner, which became obsolete. Now I have this one and frankly, I am lost.
      >
      > I thought that Freescan would be a panacea, but not so. I didn't realize that scanners had become so complicated.
      >
      > I live in Lapeer, Michigan and hope to find a scanner person that can help me learn.
      >
      > I just got the usb/serial cable, installed the driver for the cable, then connected the scanner. Tried to test the connection, but it would not connect, I kept getting a com error.
      >
      > But, I guess I got over anxious but I just can't wait to get my scanner working.
      >
      > How should I proceed? Can anyone help me? I have the manual, but I learn faster with hands on. I'm a guy, I don't read directions.
      >
      > Anyone that can help?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Max

    • Richard Victor
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 2010
        In the case of trunked systems,

        1.5. Create a new site within that System.
        1.6. Enter frequencies for the site.

        Dick

        On 4/21/2010 9:35 PM, MCH wrote:
        > Really, it's no different once you:
        >
        > 1. Create a new System.
        > 2. Create a new Group within that System.
        > 3. Create new Channels within that Group.
        >
        > Once you've done that, you have pretty much the same infrastructure as
        > legacy (banked) scanners. If you want to "add another bank", create
        > another System and repeat steps 2 and 3.
        >
        > The only thing really new is that you create the infrastructure of the
        > memory. You need not worry about all the options to 'get it running'.
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > Happierwithoutclothes wrote:
        >
        >> I had an old analog scanner, which became obsolete. Now I have this one and frankly, I am lost.
        >>
        >> I thought that Freescan would be a panacea, but not so. I didn't realize that scanners had become so complicated.
        >>
        >> I live in Lapeer, Michigan and hope to find a scanner person that can help me learn.
        >>
        >> I just got the usb/serial cable, installed the driver for the cable, then connected the scanner. Tried to test the connection, but it would not connect, I kept getting a com error.
        >>
        >> But, I guess I got over anxious but I just can't wait to get my scanner working.
        >>
        >> How should I proceed? Can anyone help me? I have the manual, but I learn faster with hands on. I'm a guy, I don't read directions.
        >>
        >> Anyone that can help?
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >>
        >> Max

      • RonH
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2010
          You might want to try the Butel software on a trial basis. That software has a feature that automatically detects your comm port and tests the connection.
          Best regards,
          Ted

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomvanderpool@...> wrote:

          > Make sure the scanner and the serial ports are set to the same speed
          > Make sure you know the correct com port for the scanner's interface on the computer
          >
          > I think there is an entry in the FreeSCAN wiki on Radio Reference that goes in to more detail AND there may be more detail here if you do a search for it (don't remember seeing anything real recently).
          >
          > Tom
          >

          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Happierwithoutclothes" <happierwithoutclothes@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had an old analog scanner, which became obsolete. Now I have this one and frankly, I am lost.
          > >
          > > I thought that Freescan would be a panacea, but not so. I didn't realize that scanners had become so complicated.
          > >
          > > I live in Lapeer, Michigan and hope to find a scanner person that can help me learn.
          > >
          > > I just got the usb/serial cable, installed the driver for the cable, then connected the scanner. Tried to test the connection, but it would not connect, I kept getting a com error.
          > >
          > > But, I guess I got over anxious but I just can't wait to get my scanner working.
          > >
          > > How should I proceed? Can anyone help me? I have the manual, but I learn faster with hands on. I'm a guy, I don't read directions.
          > >
          > > Anyone that can help?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Max

        • Richard Victor