Re: [BCD396XT] New User, Not Stupid, but in over my head, someone help!

  • Richard Victor
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010
      First step should be to get the scanner and the computer communicating.
      I'd suggest that you look at this info from the RR wiki:

      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Freescan_-_Connecting_Scanner_to_PC

      BTW, you may be a guy and that probably won't change, but reading the
      directions (and a bunch of other stuff as well) is required if you
      expect to enjoy the scanner. It's too complex to just fake it unless
      you're already a scanner whiz.

      Dick

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2010
        Really, it's no different once you:

        1. Create a new System.
        2. Create a new Group within that System.
        3. Create new Channels within that Group.

        Once you've done that, you have pretty much the same infrastructure as
        legacy (banked) scanners. If you want to "add another bank", create
        another System and repeat steps 2 and 3.

        The only thing really new is that you create the infrastructure of the
        memory. You need not worry about all the options to 'get it running'.

        Joe M.

        Happierwithoutclothes wrote:
        > I had an old analog scanner, which became obsolete. Now I have this one and frankly, I am lost.
        >
        > I thought that Freescan would be a panacea, but not so. I didn't realize that scanners had become so complicated.
        >
        > I live in Lapeer, Michigan and hope to find a scanner person that can help me learn.
        >
        > I just got the usb/serial cable, installed the driver for the cable, then connected the scanner. Tried to test the connection, but it would not connect, I kept getting a com error.
        >
        > But, I guess I got over anxious but I just can't wait to get my scanner working.
        >
        > How should I proceed? Can anyone help me? I have the manual, but I learn faster with hands on. I'm a guy, I don't read directions.
        >
        > Anyone that can help?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Max

      • Richard Victor
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2010
          In the case of trunked systems,

          1.5. Create a new site within that System.
          1.6. Enter frequencies for the site.

          Dick

          On 4/21/2010 9:35 PM, MCH wrote:
          > Really, it's no different once you:
          >
          > 1. Create a new System.
          > 2. Create a new Group within that System.
          > 3. Create new Channels within that Group.
          >
          > Once you've done that, you have pretty much the same infrastructure as
          > legacy (banked) scanners. If you want to "add another bank", create
          > another System and repeat steps 2 and 3.
          >
          > The only thing really new is that you create the infrastructure of the
          > memory. You need not worry about all the options to 'get it running'.
          >
          > Joe M.
          >
          > Happierwithoutclothes wrote:
          >
          >> I had an old analog scanner, which became obsolete. Now I have this one and frankly, I am lost.
          >>
          >> I thought that Freescan would be a panacea, but not so. I didn't realize that scanners had become so complicated.
          >>
          >> I live in Lapeer, Michigan and hope to find a scanner person that can help me learn.
          >>
          >> I just got the usb/serial cable, installed the driver for the cable, then connected the scanner. Tried to test the connection, but it would not connect, I kept getting a com error.
          >>
          >> But, I guess I got over anxious but I just can't wait to get my scanner working.
          >>
          >> How should I proceed? Can anyone help me? I have the manual, but I learn faster with hands on. I'm a guy, I don't read directions.
          >>
          >> Anyone that can help?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> Max

        • RonH
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2010
            You might want to try the Butel software on a trial basis. That software has a feature that automatically detects your comm port and tests the connection.
            Best regards,
            Ted

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomvanderpool@...> wrote:

            > Make sure the scanner and the serial ports are set to the same speed
            > Make sure you know the correct com port for the scanner's interface on the computer
            >
            > I think there is an entry in the FreeSCAN wiki on Radio Reference that goes in to more detail AND there may be more detail here if you do a search for it (don't remember seeing anything real recently).
            >
            > Tom
            >

            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Happierwithoutclothes" <happierwithoutclothes@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had an old analog scanner, which became obsolete. Now I have this one and frankly, I am lost.
            > >
            > > I thought that Freescan would be a panacea, but not so. I didn't realize that scanners had become so complicated.
            > >
            > > I live in Lapeer, Michigan and hope to find a scanner person that can help me learn.
            > >
            > > I just got the usb/serial cable, installed the driver for the cable, then connected the scanner. Tried to test the connection, but it would not connect, I kept getting a com error.
            > >
            > > But, I guess I got over anxious but I just can't wait to get my scanner working.
            > >
            > > How should I proceed? Can anyone help me? I have the manual, but I learn faster with hands on. I'm a guy, I don't read directions.
            > >
            > > Anyone that can help?
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Max

          • Richard Victor