Re: [BCD396XT] Newbie 396XT owner

  • Clark Rennie
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
      I also found the Wiki concept of the manual somewhat intimidating but
      fortunately I previously have a
      BCD396T. The manual for that model (which is very similar) is a better
      primer of the DMA explanation.
      Using the links provided by Paul Opitz, find the download the manual for
      the BCD396T.
      Computer programming of these fine Uniden scanners is almost a necessity as
      a visual expansion of systems, sites (for trunking) and groups is almost
      self-explanatory when viewed on the monitor screen.

      As someone else suggested, start with FreeSCAN. (http://scannow.org/), if
      you like it, please donate something to assist the author with development.
      I personally prefer the ARC programming products (http://www.butel.nl/) but
      they do require purchasing after the trial period is over. There are
      several others.

      Clark

      Above all, don't be discouraged, persistence will certainly help.

      At 01:31 PM 4/20/2010, you wrote:

      >If you haven't already, read the articles at:
      >http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals#Other_Resources
      >
      >Also, check out how to program the various kinds of systems by following
      >the links at:
      >http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD396XT#Programming_your_scanner
      >

      >________________________________

    • Tim Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
        n0evh-
        I live about a hour west of you and would be glad to help you when you get your new 396.  I've had one now for 3 months, and will build you a freescan file for KC.  I got one from another user in your area that was pretty good, so drop me a line.
        Tim

        tvs1520@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
          Dick (and John),

          I think the files he is looking for are on the FreeSCAN site so he can pick those up while he is there getting a copy of FreeSCAN. They should be in the state area on that site (much like the way RR is set up).

          Tom

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Richard Victor <Victor@...> wrote:

          > I think one of the most helpful things might be to download a copy of
          > FreeScan from scannow.org and to look at a datafile that someone else
          > has created to see how things are set up. Obviously, a file that
          > contains the system that you want to program would be best and might be
          > obtainable from someone here or on your state's forum on RadioReference.com.
          >
          > If you can't obtain such a file for your area, feel free to email me
          > direct and I'll send you one of my files for Milwaukee, WI. While it
          > won't have your systems (unless you're in Milwaukee), you'll still get
          > to see how things are set up.
          >
          > Whether you actually use FreeScan or other software to program your
          > scanner, the ability to see the data within the program should help with
          > the conceptualization. I personally recommend that new owners use
          > FreeScan because it's free and relatively straightforward to use. I
          > think it's also important to be able to program the scanner manually,
          > but that's easier to learn after you have the basic concepts under control.
          >
          > Eventually you may find that you want or need features not included in
          > FreeScan and can then try the free trials of ProScan and/or ARC-XT.
          >
          > Dick

        • Richard Victor
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2010
            You're absolutely right, Tom. Sorry that I didn't think of that. It's
            the old "forest for the trees".

            73,
            Dick

            On 4/20/2010 9:34 PM, Tom wrote:
            > Dick (and John),
            >
            > I think the files he is looking for are on the FreeSCAN site so he can pick those up while he is there getting a copy of FreeSCAN. They should be in the state area on that site (much like the way RR is set up).
            >
            > Tom
            >

            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Richard Victor<Victor@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I think one of the most helpful things might be to download a copy of
            >> FreeScan from scannow.org and to look at a datafile that someone else
            >> has created to see how things are set up. Obviously, a file that
            >> contains the system that you want to program would be best and might be
            >> obtainable from someone here or on your state's forum on RadioReference.com.
            >>
            >> If you can't obtain such a file for your area, feel free to email me
            >> direct and I'll send you one of my files for Milwaukee, WI. While it
            >> won't have your systems (unless you're in Milwaukee), you'll still get
            >> to see how things are set up.
            >>
            >> Whether you actually use FreeScan or other software to program your
            >> scanner, the ability to see the data within the program should help with
            >> the conceptualization. I personally recommend that new owners use
            >> FreeScan because it's free and relatively straightforward to use. I
            >> think it's also important to be able to program the scanner manually,
            >> but that's easier to learn after you have the basic concepts under control.
            >>
            >> Eventually you may find that you want or need features not included in
            >> FreeScan and can then try the free trials of ProScan and/or ARC-XT.
            >>
            >> Dick

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 2010
              Dick,

              Might be a bit "fresher" in my mind because I (think I) put them there. <g>

            • n0evh
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
                To the many replies,

                Wow, a great yahoo group. I got the 396 in the brown truck about 3 hours after my first post. I had a flood of good info come in from you all and I read all the posts and your recommendations as fast I as could.

                I loaded freescan and loaded Independence 700 system into the scanner. With that little bit of success I continued to read all your posts.

                Later in the evening my head began to hurt, smile. So just enjoyed the scanner and relaxed.

                Next day I looked at some files you all sent showing me examples of various counties etc and how to do groups. Starting to make sense compared to the old bearcat with channels only.

                Today I tried ID tracker III to begin to see which freqs are active and so on.

                Wow, you all have taken me a long ways in just a matter of a few days. I am really enjoying the scanner and need to now get a good charger and some more batts as I am using them faster than they can charge! That is a good thing.

                Along with all this info I have met a few locals that are really into scanning and I am sure I will continue to learn from them also.

                Thanks so much, hopefully I can return the favor to someone in the future.

                John from Independence Missouri (proud 396XT owner and user)