RE: [BCD396XT] Using mulitple radios on one antenna

  • john bucki
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 7:42 PM
      What type mast are you using? I have the same antenna with 30 ft mast would like to go higher if possible

      john

      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      From: scannerman@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:40:37 -0400
      Subject: RE: [BCD396XT] Using mulitple radios on one antenna

      Hello all,
      Hope this is not off topic here on this list, if it is please delete it. My
      question is about using one antenna to hook to 3 different scanners. I have
      3 scanners currently hooked up to a Scantenna about 60feet up. I have the
      coax coming into the house and hooked onto a 3 way splitter (tv type). Was
      considering a multicopler as discussed in another post but can see putting
      out that kind of cost at the moment. ($200) I do however have a old UHF/VHF
      distribution amplifier laying around not doing anything. It has one input
      and 4 outputs. I hooked all my radios to this earlier and was able to
      increase signal on my radios as before i was only getting static. I know it
      is not ideal but it seems to work ok for my situation. Main question is by
      using this distribution amplifier would it harm any of my radios by using
      it?
      Amplifier is made by Winston Model 1800
      Anyone know if there would be any harm in using it as it does seem to help
      pull in weak signals just don't want to overload the radios and desense
      them.

      Thanks,
      Joey

    • J Harrell
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4 6:06 AM
        I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
        feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
        I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
        antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not had
        chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get it
        up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at my
        email address and I will be glad to send it to you.

        Take care,
        Joey

        To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6 1:08 AM
          Not trying to be rude or anything Joey, but I hope you have all three of those antennas well grounded! Wouldn't like to see you, your house and your radios end up crispy critters! Ack! ;)

          Shell
          K0SHL

          (Have all my RG-8 coax from the antennas going into polyphasers and then everything grounded outside.)

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

          > I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
          > feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
          > I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
          > antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not had
          > chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get it
          > up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at my
          > email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
          >
          > Take care,
          > Joey

        • J Harrell
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 4:58 AM
            Thanks for replying. The mast itself is buried in the ground about 5feet.
            The scantenna and 2 meter vhf antenna is grounded directly to the fold over
            pole. While this may not be the most appropriate way of doing it I should
            have a ground rod also attached to the pole as well. I was figuring that
            the mast is 5 feet in the ground which is made up of 2 pieces of angle iron
            welded together should be enough ground and I always disconnect my antenna
            feeds where there is a storm.

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "J
            Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

            > I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
            > feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
            > I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
            > antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not
            had
            > chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get
            it
            > up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at
            my
            > email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
            >
            > Take care,
            > Joey

            Behalf