Re: [BCD396XT] Using mulitple radios on one antenna

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      You should be fine, but be aware that desense and overload are issues
      you will want to keep an eye on.

      Joe M.

      J Harrell wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > Hope this is not off topic here on this list, if it is please delete it. My
      > question is about using one antenna to hook to 3 different scanners. I have
      > 3 scanners currently hooked up to a Scantenna about 60feet up. I have the
      > coax coming into the house and hooked onto a 3 way splitter (tv type). Was
      > considering a multicopler as discussed in another post but can see putting
      > out that kind of cost at the moment. ($200) I do however have a old UHF/VHF
      > distribution amplifier laying around not doing anything. It has one input
      > and 4 outputs. I hooked all my radios to this earlier and was able to
      > increase signal on my radios as before i was only getting static. I know it
      > is not ideal but it seems to work ok for my situation. Main question is by
      > using this distribution amplifier would it harm any of my radios by using
      > it?
      > Amplifier is made by Winston Model 1800
      > Anyone know if there would be any harm in using it as it does seem to help
      > pull in weak signals just don't want to overload the radios and desense
      > them.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joey

    • john bucki
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        What type mast are you using? I have the same antenna with 30 ft mast would like to go higher if possible

        john

        To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010
          I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
          feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
          I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
          antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not had
          chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get it
          up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at my
          email address and I will be glad to send it to you.

          Take care,
          Joey

          To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
            Not trying to be rude or anything Joey, but I hope you have all three of those antennas well grounded! Wouldn't like to see you, your house and your radios end up crispy critters! Ack! ;)

            Shell
            K0SHL

            (Have all my RG-8 coax from the antennas going into polyphasers and then everything grounded outside.)

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

            > I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
            > feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
            > I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
            > antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not had
            > chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get it
            > up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at my
            > email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
            >
            > Take care,
            > Joey

          • J Harrell
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
              Thanks for replying. The mast itself is buried in the ground about 5feet.
              The scantenna and 2 meter vhf antenna is grounded directly to the fold over
              pole. While this may not be the most appropriate way of doing it I should
              have a ground rod also attached to the pole as well. I was figuring that
              the mast is 5 feet in the ground which is made up of 2 pieces of angle iron
              welded together should be enough ground and I always disconnect my antenna
              feeds where there is a storm.

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "J
              Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

              > I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
              > feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
              > I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
              > antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not
              had
              > chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get
              it
              > up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at
              my
              > email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
              >
              > Take care,
              > Joey

              Behalf