Re: [BCD396XT] Help with Wright Pat system not needed anymore

  • johnstark@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      So what did you find ?

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bill <daytonohio@...>
      Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 02:37:19
      To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [BCD396XT] Help with Wright Pat system not needed anymore

      You gotta Love that FreeSCAN software

      .. I went back and checked the WPAFB system one more time and I realized my error. It is now receiving them fine.

      Thanks
                Bill

    • J Harrell
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        Hello all,
        Hope this is not off topic here on this list, if it is please delete it. My
        question is about using one antenna to hook to 3 different scanners. I have
        3 scanners currently hooked up to a Scantenna about 60feet up. I have the
        coax coming into the house and hooked onto a 3 way splitter (tv type). Was
        considering a multicopler as discussed in another post but can see putting
        out that kind of cost at the moment. ($200) I do however have a old UHF/VHF
        distribution amplifier laying around not doing anything. It has one input
        and 4 outputs. I hooked all my radios to this earlier and was able to
        increase signal on my radios as before i was only getting static. I know it
        is not ideal but it seems to work ok for my situation. Main question is by
        using this distribution amplifier would it harm any of my radios by using
        it?
        Amplifier is made by Winston Model 1800
        Anyone know if there would be any harm in using it as it does seem to help
        pull in weak signals just don't want to overload the radios and desense
        them.

        Thanks,
        Joey
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
          You should be fine, but be aware that desense and overload are issues
          you will want to keep an eye on.

          Joe M.

          J Harrell wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > Hope this is not off topic here on this list, if it is please delete it. My
          > question is about using one antenna to hook to 3 different scanners. I have
          > 3 scanners currently hooked up to a Scantenna about 60feet up. I have the
          > coax coming into the house and hooked onto a 3 way splitter (tv type). Was
          > considering a multicopler as discussed in another post but can see putting
          > out that kind of cost at the moment. ($200) I do however have a old UHF/VHF
          > distribution amplifier laying around not doing anything. It has one input
          > and 4 outputs. I hooked all my radios to this earlier and was able to
          > increase signal on my radios as before i was only getting static. I know it
          > is not ideal but it seems to work ok for my situation. Main question is by
          > using this distribution amplifier would it harm any of my radios by using
          > it?
          > Amplifier is made by Winston Model 1800
          > Anyone know if there would be any harm in using it as it does seem to help
          > pull in weak signals just don't want to overload the radios and desense
          > them.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Joey

        • john bucki
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
            What type mast are you using? I have the same antenna with 30 ft mast would like to go higher if possible

            john

            To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010
              I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
              feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
              I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
              antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not had
              chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get it
              up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at my
              email address and I will be glad to send it to you.

              Take care,
              Joey

              To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
                Not trying to be rude or anything Joey, but I hope you have all three of those antennas well grounded! Wouldn't like to see you, your house and your radios end up crispy critters! Ack! ;)

                Shell
                K0SHL

                (Have all my RG-8 coax from the antennas going into polyphasers and then everything grounded outside.)

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "J Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

                > I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
                > feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
                > I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
                > antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not had
                > chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get it
                > up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at my
                > email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
                >
                > Take care,
                > Joey

              • J Harrell
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2010
                  Thanks for replying. The mast itself is buried in the ground about 5feet.
                  The scantenna and 2 meter vhf antenna is grounded directly to the fold over
                  pole. While this may not be the most appropriate way of doing it I should
                  have a ground rod also attached to the pole as well. I was figuring that
                  the mast is 5 feet in the ground which is made up of 2 pieces of angle iron
                  welded together should be enough ground and I always disconnect my antenna
                  feeds where there is a storm.

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "J
                  Harrell" <scannerman@...> wrote:

                  > I am using a fold over pole that allows me to get the antenna up around 30
                  > feet in the air. It's a homebrew job that works rather well at the moment.
                  > I have my Scantenna ST2 attached to it as well a dipole antenna and VHF
                  > antenna for 2meters. I have a tower that was given to me but I have not
                  had
                  > chance to put it up yet, hopefully this summer I will get a chance to get
                  it
                  > up. If you would like a picture of my mast give a shout off the group at
                  my
                  > email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
                  >
                  > Take care,
                  > Joey

                  Behalf