Damage

  • SRehm24416@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2010
      Today while listening to my 396xt as I have been since last May I noticed a rattle inside the case. I removed the four screws that are located on the top half of the rear of the scanner only to notice two of the screws were already loose. After getting all four screws out I removed the backing (along with two screws inside the battery compartment) and pieces of plastic started falling out. Three of the four "screw holders" ??? if you will for the top four screws were broken. The unit has not been abused, dropped, handled rough etc. (I am not going to treat a $500 piece of electronics badly). There is nothing I can think of that caused this, unless there may be a design flaw or plastic defect.

      What are my options?

      Thank you
      Jeff
      St. Louis

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2010
        SRehm24416@... wrote:

        > Today while listening to my 396xt as I have been since last May I noticed a
        > rattle inside the case. I removed the four screws that are located on the
        > top half of the rear of the scanner only to notice two of the screws were
        > already loose. After getting all four screws out I removed the backing
        > (along with two screws inside the battery compartment) and pieces of
        > plastic started falling out. Three of the four "screw holders" ??? if you
        > will for the top four screws were broken. The unit has not been abused,
        > dropped, handled rough etc. (I am not going to treat a $500 piece of
        > electronics badly). There is nothing I can think of that caused this,
        > unless there may be a design flaw or plastic defect.

        Space aliens with ultrasonic ray-guns.
      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2010
          My first thought would be to contact Uniden.
          How long have you had it?
          Is it still under warranty ?
          I doubt if it is a design flaw as I haven't had any probem with my BCD396XT.

          Clark

          At 01:23 PM 3/29/2010, you wrote:

          >Today while listening to my 396xt as I have been since last May I noticed
          >a rattle inside the case. I removed the four screws that are located on
          >the top half of the rear of the scanner only to notice two of the screws
          >were already loose. After getting all four screws out I removed the
          >backing (along with two screws inside the battery compartment) and pieces
          >of plastic started falling out. Three of the four "screw holders" ??? if
          >you will for the top four screws were broken. The unit has not been
          >abused, dropped, handled rough etc. (I am not going to treat a $500 piece
          >of electronics badly). There is nothing I can think of that caused this,
          >unless there may be a design flaw or plastic defect.
          >
          >What are my options?
          >
          >Thank you
          >Jeff
          >St. Louis
        • JAN FINE
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2010
            Replace the case.

            Clark Rennie wrote:

            > My first thought would be to contact Uniden.
            > How long have you had it?
            > Is it still under warranty ?
            > I doubt if it is a design flaw as I haven't had any probem with my
            > BCD396XT.
            >
            > Clark
            >
            > At 01:23 PM 3/29/2010, you wrote:
            >
            > >Today while listening to my 396xt as I have been since last May I
            > noticed
            > >a rattle inside the case. I removed the four screws that are located on
            > >the top half of the rear of the scanner only to notice two of the screws
            > >were already loose. After getting all four screws out I removed the
            > >backing (along with two screws inside the battery compartment) and
            > pieces
            > >of plastic started falling out. Three of the four "screw holders" ??? if
            > >you will for the top four screws were broken. The unit has not been
            > >abused, dropped, handled rough etc. (I am not going to treat a $500
            > piece
            > >of electronics badly). There is nothing I can think of that caused this,
            > >unless there may be a design flaw or plastic defect.
            > >
            > >What are my options?
            > >
            > >Thank you
            > >Jeff
            > >St. Louis

          • Mr. L. Harris
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2010
              Hello all,

               this is off the main subject but with the last reply replace the case, it reminded me , i need to get a new front case peice for my xt,, i dropped it and cracked case between the function knob and antenna mast its just cosmetic, but i would like to keep it looking nice

               i figured if  a new front case peice was only 20 or so id do it

              i kept my 396t in flawless condtion for he 3 years i had it , not this

              does any one know where i may look for the front case peice on the uniden site?