Re: [BCD396XT] Corrected Version of BCD396XT announcement

  • Bob Brown
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2008
      i agree

      why?

      On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Robert P Dale <rdale@...> wrote:

      > Why do these keep getting sent out?

    • Robert P Dale
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2008
        It's at the top of the first posts made in this forum - so never really
        needed to send anyways ;)

        - Rob

      • Clayton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
          A feature I would like to see added to current or future models is a "system
          delay". Where I live (KCMO area), the Highway Patrol and the local sheriff
          both use split frequencies, with the dispatcher on 1 frequency and cars
          responding on a different freq. Obviously a delay on the freq does no good,
          but if there was an adjustable-length delay that could be set per system, it
          would allow the scanner to stay on that system, scan the channels (or TG's)
          and increase the odds of hearing the reply. We also have an LTR system in
          the area that assigned each unit a different talkgroup, so it would help
          when listening to them.

          The memory architecture of the DMA scanners seem ideally suited to do this,
          as it already has "system properties". The system "hold time" does very
          little good for the above issue: if the dispatcher talks equal or above the
          hold time, you miss the reply. In addition increasing "hold time" really
          slows down scanning.

          Keep up the great products Uniden. Now I'm waiting for the mobile version
          with 25,000 channels, too. :)

          Clayton
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
            You might want to read up on the HOLD TIME feature. It's not exactly
            what you want, but it's close. It's been on Uniden scanners for several
            years.

            Joe M.

            Clayton wrote:
            > A feature I would like to see added to current or future models is a "system
            > delay". Where I live (KCMO area), the Highway Patrol and the local sheriff
            > both use split frequencies, with the dispatcher on 1 frequency and cars
            > responding on a different freq. Obviously a delay on the freq does no good,
            > but if there was an adjustable-length delay that could be set per system, it
            > would allow the scanner to stay on that system, scan the channels (or TG's)
            > and increase the odds of hearing the reply. We also have an LTR system in
            > the area that assigned each unit a different talkgroup, so it would help
            > when listening to them.
            >
            > The memory architecture of the DMA scanners seem ideally suited to do this,
            > as it already has "system properties". The system "hold time" does very
            > little good for the above issue: if the dispatcher talks equal or above the
            > hold time, you miss the reply. In addition increasing "hold time" really
            > slows down scanning.
            >
            > Keep up the great products Uniden. Now I'm waiting for the mobile version
            > with 25,000 channels, too. :)
            >
            > Clayton

          • Clayton
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
              As I mentioned in my original post, the hold time does little to help.
              Besides slowing the overall scanning down by holding on the system for the
              selected period of time, whether there is activity or not, when someone is
              talking it counts down the time and if they talk as long as the hold time,
              it will move on to the next system when their transmission is done. Also,
              it will not allow you to hear an extended exchange. When the 246 came out,
              I thought the hold time was going to be just the ticket, but alas it wasn't.
              My current work around is to hit the function knob on the 996 or bct15 as it
              will hold on the system for a couple of seconds, but an automatic solution
              would be ideal. If you are familiar with Probe, it has a 'tac scan' feature
              which does this, and it works great, but only with an Opto equipped scanner
              & PC.

              Thanks for the suggestion,

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
                First, I didn't see that you tried the HOLD TIME. (again, OOOPS! :-] )

                Second, if you hold the Function button for a few seconds until the
                scanner beeps, the scanner will lock on that system until you release it
                (not just a few seconds).

                You could also duplicate that system and assign it various SQKs so it is
                scanned more often (assign it 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, etc).

                Joe M.

              • joe_polcari
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Something I haven't seen asked.
                  The XT can have analog/digital/both channels. Does that mean it will
                  respond to, and you can set, a CTS/DCS and a NAC on the same frequency?
                • Uniden UPMan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                    Yes. You'd enter it as two channels...one analog w/CTCSS/DCS and the other digital/NAC.

                     UPMan

                    The XT can have analog/digital/ both channels. Does that mean it will
                    respond to, and you can set, a CTS/DCS and a NAC on the same frequency?

                  • Joe Polcari
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                      Ok - a workaround. At least that's better than it is now. New Hampshire is a
                      pain with their mixed channels.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8, 2008
                        The 996 has the 'both' feature. It means CSQ, not PL/DPL/NAC.

                        There aren't that many mixed analog/digital channels that would be a
                        problem programming both as separate channels.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                          True - it won't be a problem now that you can use NAC