Re: Failed speaker?

  • RichardF
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2010
      It sounds like an amplifier circuit has an intermittent connection problem since the speaker worked for a short time and then stopped again. I would contact Uniden (perhaps we'll get a message from someone who works there?) and describe the symptoms. I haven't had the courage to open mine and see how much division of labor there is, but I would suspect that most, if not all of the circuitry is on one board. I mean there's only so much room...

      Sincerely,

      Richard Fredrick
      W0KLE

      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "davef3138" <davef3138@...> wrote:

      > I believe the speaker or audio amplifier circuit has failed in my 396XT.
      >
      > The audio was sounding scratchy/distorted at volumes over 8 for about 5 minutes or so, then the speaker cut out. Plugging into the headphone jack gives me good, clean audio.
      >
      > I was able to get the speaker to work twice by running the volume up and down from 0 to 15 a few times. It would sound distorted, then cut out again above a volume level of 7 or so.
      >
      > I did try leaving the batteries out overnight to see if that helped, it worked for a few seconds then cut out again.
      >
      > -Dave

    • J Harrell
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2010
        Hello,

        Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
        adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
        and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
        Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
        $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
        Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
        would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
        adapter that will work?

        Thanks,

        Joey

      • Richard Yoo
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
          I've been using a IOgear usb-serial adapter.. its been working fine for me
          in both XP and win7...

          -Richard, N5YOO
          ---
          Visit my blog at http://www.richardyoo.com
          Share your photos at http://www.natuba.com

        • johnstark@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
            Fry's Electronics has serveral adapters from Micro Connectors Inc that work and have drivers up to Win 7.0. Ijust got a dual serial adapter for $19 yesterday and it works great

            John
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
              I've been using the IOGEAR GUC232A adapter for years now without problems. It works equally well on Windows or Mac. The only thing is most of those adapters are usually between $20-30. You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay. YMMV.

              On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:36 PM, J Harrell wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
              > adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
              > and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
              > Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
              > $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
              > Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
              > would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
              > adapter that will work?
              >

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Joey
            • Rich Carlson
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                I have used several different models, including the Aten and IO Gear.

                You can also use the USB-1 USB programming cable ($19.95 from
                Scannermaster). Just be sure to download the proper driver for your
                version of Windows from the ScannerMaster website.

                --
                Rich Carlson, N9JIG
              • Richard A. Victor
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                  Before you decide on which adapter or cable with built-in adapter
                  (USB-1) you want to buy, make sure that you can find the necessary
                  drivers for that adapter/cable and Windows 7 64 bit. Install the
                  appropriate driver before plugging in the adapter or cable.

                  Dick

                • johnstark@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                    The one I mentioed has 32 and 64 bit Prolific drivers and works on XP through 7

                    John
                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    Before you decide on which adapter or cable with built-in adapter
                    (USB-1) you want to buy, make sure that you can find the necessary
                    drivers for that adapter/cable and Windows 7 64 bit. Install the
                    appropriate driver before plugging in the adapter or cable.

                    Dick

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
                    > adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
                    > and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
                    > Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
                    > $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
                    > Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
                    > would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
                    > adapter that will work?

                  • Eric Noah Hart
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                      I have used the Cables Unlimited USB-2920 from Newegg which retails for
                      $16.99 on almost all of the operating systems that you can imagine, even on
                      the server platforms. What I like about it is that it doesn't have extra
                      cable making it longer, just a USB on one end, and a DB9 connector on the
                      other. And yes, I have used this on numerous laptops also, from my 2 Dell
                      laptops, to my Asus eeePC Netbook.

                      Eric

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8, 2010
                        Yea - like under $5 shipped.

                        Joe M.

                        JETorres wrote:
                        > I've been using the IOGEAR GUC232A adapter for years now without problems. It works equally well on Windows or Mac. The only thing is most of those adapters are usually between $20-30. You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay. YMMV.
                        >

                        > On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:36 PM, J Harrell wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hello,
                        >>
                        >> Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
                        >> adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
                        >> and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
                        >> Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
                        >> $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
                        >> Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
                        >> would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
                        >> adapter that will work?
                        >>

                        >> Thanks,
                        >>
                        >> Joey

                      • J Harrell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2010
                          Would like to thank everyone for the replies to my question. I went ahead
                          and ordered one from Sewell Direct so it should be here by the end of the
                          week, I think it will work fine we will just have to sit and wait. Thanks
                          for all the help as this is a great forum.

                          Joey