Re: [BCD396XT] Failed speaker?

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6 7:42 AM
      Sounds like the speaker.

      Joe M.

      davef3138 wrote:
      > I believe the speaker or audio amplifier circuit has failed in my 396XT.
      >
      > The audio was sounding scratchy/distorted at volumes over 8 for about 5 minutes or so, then the speaker cut out. Plugging into the headphone jack gives me good, clean audio.
      >
      > I was able to get the speaker to work twice by running the volume up and down from 0 to 15 a few times. It would sound distorted, then cut out again above a volume level of 7 or so.
      >
      > I did try leaving the batteries out overnight to see if that helped, it worked for a few seconds then cut out again.
      >
      > -Dave

    • RichardF
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7 10:29 AM
        It sounds like an amplifier circuit has an intermittent connection problem since the speaker worked for a short time and then stopped again. I would contact Uniden (perhaps we'll get a message from someone who works there?) and describe the symptoms. I haven't had the courage to open mine and see how much division of labor there is, but I would suspect that most, if not all of the circuitry is on one board. I mean there's only so much room...

        Sincerely,

        Richard Fredrick
        W0KLE

        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "davef3138" <davef3138@...> wrote:

        > I believe the speaker or audio amplifier circuit has failed in my 396XT.
        >
        > The audio was sounding scratchy/distorted at volumes over 8 for about 5 minutes or so, then the speaker cut out. Plugging into the headphone jack gives me good, clean audio.
        >
        > I was able to get the speaker to work twice by running the volume up and down from 0 to 15 a few times. It would sound distorted, then cut out again above a volume level of 7 or so.
        >
        > I did try leaving the batteries out overnight to see if that helped, it worked for a few seconds then cut out again.
        >
        > -Dave

      • J Harrell
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7 7:36 PM
          Hello,

          Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
          adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
          and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
          Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
          $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
          Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
          would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
          adapter that will work?

          Thanks,

          Joey

        • Richard Yoo
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8 10:47 AM
            I've been using a IOgear usb-serial adapter.. its been working fine for me
            in both XP and win7...

            -Richard, N5YOO
            ---
            Visit my blog at http://www.richardyoo.com
            Share your photos at http://www.natuba.com

          • johnstark@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8 10:49 AM
              Fry's Electronics has serveral adapters from Micro Connectors Inc that work and have drivers up to Win 7.0. Ijust got a dual serial adapter for $19 yesterday and it works great

              John
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8 10:52 AM
                I've been using the IOGEAR GUC232A adapter for years now without problems. It works equally well on Windows or Mac. The only thing is most of those adapters are usually between $20-30. You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay. YMMV.

                On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:36 PM, J Harrell wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
                > adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
                > and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
                > Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
                > $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
                > Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
                > would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
                > adapter that will work?
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Joey
              • Rich Carlson
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8 11:42 AM
                  I have used several different models, including the Aten and IO Gear.

                  You can also use the USB-1 USB programming cable ($19.95 from
                  Scannermaster). Just be sure to download the proper driver for your
                  version of Windows from the ScannerMaster website.

                  --
                  Rich Carlson, N9JIG
                • Richard A. Victor
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8 11:55 AM
                    Before you decide on which adapter or cable with built-in adapter
                    (USB-1) you want to buy, make sure that you can find the necessary
                    drivers for that adapter/cable and Windows 7 64 bit. Install the
                    appropriate driver before plugging in the adapter or cable.

                    Dick

                  • johnstark@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 8 12:03 PM
                      The one I mentioed has 32 and 64 bit Prolific drivers and works on XP through 7

                      John
                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      Before you decide on which adapter or cable with built-in adapter
                      (USB-1) you want to buy, make sure that you can find the necessary
                      drivers for that adapter/cable and Windows 7 64 bit. Install the
                      appropriate driver before plugging in the adapter or cable.

                      Dick

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
                      > adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
                      > and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
                      > Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
                      > $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
                      > Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
                      > would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
                      > adapter that will work?

                    • Eric Noah Hart
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 8 12:18 PM
                        I have used the Cables Unlimited USB-2920 from Newegg which retails for
                        $16.99 on almost all of the operating systems that you can imagine, even on
                        the server platforms. What I like about it is that it doesn't have extra
                        cable making it longer, just a USB on one end, and a DB9 connector on the
                        other. And yes, I have used this on numerous laptops also, from my 2 Dell
                        laptops, to my Asus eeePC Netbook.

                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 8 12:29 PM
                          Yea - like under $5 shipped.

                          Joe M.

                          JETorres wrote:
                          > I've been using the IOGEAR GUC232A adapter for years now without problems. It works equally well on Windows or Mac. The only thing is most of those adapters are usually between $20-30. You might be able to get them cheaper on eBay. YMMV.
                          >

                          > On Mar 7, 2010, at 6:36 PM, J Harrell wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hello,
                          >>
                          >> Just wondering if anyone on the group uses a laptop with a USB to serial
                          >> adapter to program their BCD396XT? I have a laptop without a serial port
                          >> and would like to get a usb adapter that would allow me to program my radio.
                          >> Next question is would anyone know of one that is sold online for less than
                          >> $15 that supports Win98 thru Windows 7 64bit? I currently have Windows
                          >> Vista 32bit but I would like to upgrade in the future to Windows 7 64bit and
                          >> would like to have a adapter that will work with it. Anyone know of a
                          >> adapter that will work?
                          >>

                          >> Thanks,
                          >>
                          >> Joey

                        • J Harrell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 9 5:51 PM
                            Would like to thank everyone for the replies to my question. I went ahead
                            and ordered one from Sewell Direct so it should be here by the end of the
                            week, I think it will work fine we will just have to sit and wait. Thanks
                            for all the help as this is a great forum.

                            Joey