Re: [BCD396XT] GPS Question

  • johnstark@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
      Hmmm I thought it kept the last state.
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...>
      Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:28:52
      To: <BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] GPS Question

      GPS controls the Temporary Lock/Unlock status. If no GPS is connected, all GPS controlled elements will be unlocked when you cycle power.

      It does not remember your last location when you cycle power.

      I use Startup Keys to quickly lock / unlock specific configurations for fixed locations.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
        Clear as mud!!! Serious though, thanks Paul.

        Dewey

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
          How does location based scanning handle quick key settings?
           Does a systems and/or groups quick key need to be enabled for the GPS to recognize/acknowledge it?
           If I start with no quick keys enabled, plug in a GPS, will any in range systems/groups become enabled? If I then turn the off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, will all the quick keys that became enabled with the GPS revert back to being not enabled?

          Thanks,
          Mike

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

          > If you start wil all elements unlocked, plug in a GPS, all out of range elements will be temporarily locked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, everything will be unlocked.
          >
          > If you start with all elements locked, plug in a GPS, all in-range elements will be unlocked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, those elements unlocked by GPS will remain unlocked. Those "untouched" will remain locked.
          >
          > If you start with all elements locked, plug in a GPS, all in-range elements are unlocked. Then, drive to another location that results in some additional elements being unlocked and some previously unlocked elements being locked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, all elements unlocked by the GPS at any time during that session will be unlocked (since those that it unlocked, then later locked were temporarily locked).
          >

          > ________________________________
        • Paul Opitz
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
            SQK/GQK status is not affected by location. Only lockout status. So, if the
            SQK/GQKs are disabled, they will not be scanned regardless of your location.

          • Bob
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22, 2013
              What GPS works with this scanner?
              I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.
              Message 6 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
                NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).

                Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.

                Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
                null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)

                If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.

                Joe M.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                  Thanks for the info. I see my thought process was totally wrong when I asked this question. I was thinking you could use a car GPS (ie: TomTom, Garmin) to hook into the Scanner. I see now this is a different kind of GPS concept that I am going to have to read up on.

                  > It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
                  > NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).
                  >
                  > Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.
                  >
                  > Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
                  > null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)
                  >
                  > If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.
                  >
                  > Joe M.
                  >
                  > Bob wrote:
                  > > What GPS works with this scanner?
                  > > I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.

                • David
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23, 2013
                    This may be of some interest to you:

                    <http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/266655-using-garmin-nuvi-uniden-scanner-gps.html>

                    Also, many of the handheld Garmins come with a 9 pin cable and output NMEA data the the scanner needs.