GPS Question

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
      What happens to sites tagged as GPS in the scanner, when no GPS is connected? Are they locked or unlocked? Or, does the scanner remember last location when connected to GPS and set each site accordingly?
    • johnstark@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
        It remembers the last state locked or unlocked

        John
        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
          GPS controls the Temporary Lock/Unlock status. If no GPS is connected, all GPS controlled elements will be unlocked when you cycle power.

          It does not remember your last location when you cycle power.

          I use Startup Keys to quickly lock / unlock specific configurations for fixed locations.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
            Hmmm I thought it kept the last state.
            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
              Hi Paul,

              Curiosity has gotten me on this one. I have been setting up GPS elements
              for some time, but have not used the GPS feature ***YET***. You mention
              that all GPS controlled elements will be unlocked when you cycle power.
              Based on the GPS controlling the temporary lock/unlock feature, would you
              possibly have meant the scanner will return to its locked/unlocked settings
              prior to the GPS use? I may have read into the answer, but I don't want the
              GPS unlocking systems that were locked prior to the GPS usage.

              Thanks,
              Dewey

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
                If you start wil all elements unlocked, plug in a GPS, all out of range elements will be temporarily locked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, everything will be unlocked.

                If you start with all elements locked, plug in a GPS, all in-range elements will be unlocked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, those elements unlocked by GPS will remain unlocked. Those "untouched" will remain locked.

                If you start with all elements locked, plug in a GPS, all in-range elements are unlocked. Then, drive to another location that results in some additional elements being unlocked and some previously unlocked elements being locked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, all elements unlocked by the GPS at any time during that session will be unlocked (since those that it unlocked, then later locked were temporarily locked).

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Clear as mud!!! Serious though, thanks Paul.

                  Dewey

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 26, 2011
                    How does location based scanning handle quick key settings?
                     Does a systems and/or groups quick key need to be enabled for the GPS to recognize/acknowledge it?
                     If I start with no quick keys enabled, plug in a GPS, will any in range systems/groups become enabled? If I then turn the off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, will all the quick keys that became enabled with the GPS revert back to being not enabled?

                    Thanks,
                    Mike

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:

                    > If you start wil all elements unlocked, plug in a GPS, all out of range elements will be temporarily locked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, everything will be unlocked.
                    >
                    > If you start with all elements locked, plug in a GPS, all in-range elements will be unlocked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, those elements unlocked by GPS will remain unlocked. Those "untouched" will remain locked.
                    >
                    > If you start with all elements locked, plug in a GPS, all in-range elements are unlocked. Then, drive to another location that results in some additional elements being unlocked and some previously unlocked elements being locked. If you then turn off power, remove the GPS, and turn power back on, all elements unlocked by the GPS at any time during that session will be unlocked (since those that it unlocked, then later locked were temporarily locked).
                    >

                    > ________________________________
                  • Paul Opitz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 27, 2011
                      SQK/GQK status is not affected by location. Only lockout status. So, if the
                      SQK/GQKs are disabled, they will not be scanned regardless of your location.

                    • Bob
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                        What GPS works with this scanner?
                        I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                          It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
                          NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).

                          Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.

                          Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
                          null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)

                          If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 22, 2013
                            Thanks for the info. I see my thought process was totally wrong when I asked this question. I was thinking you could use a car GPS (ie: TomTom, Garmin) to hook into the Scanner. I see now this is a different kind of GPS concept that I am going to have to read up on.

                            > It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
                            > NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).
                            >
                            > Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.
                            >
                            > Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
                            > null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)
                            >
                            > If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.
                            >
                            > Joe M.
                            >
                            > Bob wrote:
                            > > What GPS works with this scanner?
                            > > I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.

                          • David
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 23, 2013
                              This may be of some interest to you:

                              <http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/266655-using-garmin-nuvi-uniden-scanner-gps.html>

                              Also, many of the handheld Garmins come with a 9 pin cable and output NMEA data the the scanner needs.