off timer

  • Bill Richardson
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
      Is there a automatic turn off timer feature on the 396xt I did'nt notice?? You would think so.Thanks

    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
        No, the scanner hardware does not include a real-time clock, so this kind of feature isn't implemented. Some short timed events (like system hold time, channel hold time, etc) can be done without such a timer, but it can be pretty imprecise (but not really noticed for short timing events).
         UPMan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
          No. Why would you think a portable scanner would have an auto-off timer?
          I mean, it does shut off if the battery gets low, but no timer.

          If you power it with a wall wart, you can buy a timer to
          turn that off which will in turn shut the scanner down.

          Joe M.

          Bill Richardson wrote:
          > Is there a automatic turn off timer feature on the 396xt I did'nt notice?? You would think so.Thanks
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
            Maybe that could be a feature on the "NEW" UASD software.....the software that's as secret as the Stealth Bomber was.

            ________________________________
            Is there a automatic turn off timer feature on the 396xt I did'nt notice?? You would think so.Thanks

          • Tim Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
               I just received my new BCD396XT and have discovered that the data cable is a female RS232.  Do I just purchase a male 232 to USB to connect to my laptop?  Why is UNIDEN using a 232 (DB9) connector?
              Thanks,
              Tim

            • johnstark@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
                Its more than software can do and I doubt firmware could do it so that would mean hardware changes

                Joe my cell phone can turn itself on and off not sure I need it or the scanner to do thay though

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
                  Uniden sells the USB-1 cable. Othere RS232-USB adapters work, too.

                  RS-232 was chosen for universal compatibility. USB can only be connected to computers, not to other peripherals (like GPS).

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
                    It certainly is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
                    UASD is not known for bells and whistles, but for programming.

                    Joe M.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
                      For the mobile, I would agree since it's a hardware switch. But for the
                      396, it's software and a "power off" command is certainly possible.

                      As for your cellphone, I bet that's time-based, and as the scanner has
                      no clock...

                      It would be possible for a crude "shut off in X minutes or X hours"
                      timer to be added, but is there really that much demand for the feature?
                      (especially in light of viable aftermarket alternatives)

                      Joe M.

                      Sent from my HP laptop running on power supplied by Allegheny Power via
                      the Thunderbird email client running under the Windows XP operating
                      system through a broadband internet connection supplied by Comcast by
                      way of Belden cable connected to routers and switches made by
                      Linksys/Cisco and a modem made by Motorola.

                      johnstark@... wrote:
                      > Its more than software can do and I doubt firmware could do it so that would mean hardware changes
                      >
                      > Joe my cell phone can turn itself on and off not sure I need it or the scanner to do thay though
                      >

                      > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
                    • Keith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 25, 2010
                        [posted to <BCD396XT.yahoogroups.com> & emailed]
                        On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:42:27 -0800 (PST), Tim Smith <tvs1520@...>
                        wrote:

                        >  I just received my new BCD396XT and have discovered that the data cable is a female RS232.  Do I just purchase a male 232 to USB to connect to my laptop?  Why is UNIDEN using a 232 (DB9) connector?
                        > Thanks,
                        > Tim

                        You just need to obtain a USB to Serial Port converter with a male
                        adaptor for the RS-232(DB-9) connection.

                        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+serial+port+converter&x=0&y=0

                        --

                        Best Regards, Keith

                        http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
                      • Brian
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
                          That was a joke John..... It's related to a previous thread where I, and others, have asked if any software is being developed for the 396XT as it was for the 396. But, thanks for the answer to that for the serious minded.

                          Its more than software can do and I doubt firmware could do it so that would mean hardware changes

                          Joe my cell phone can turn itself on and off not sure I need it or the scanner to do thay though

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          Maybe that could be a feature on the "NEW" UASD software.... .the software that's as secret as the Stealth Bomber was.

                          Is there a automatic turn off timer feature on the 396xt I did'nt notice?? You would think so.Thanks