squelch setting

  • Jimbo
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
      How does the squelch feature work with setting of 0 -15?
      To get optimum reception, do I want a high number or lower number ?

      Thanks for you help.
      Jimbo
    • Paul Opitz
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
        Default setting is "2" which works for most.

        While written about CB, the following article has a pretty good explanation of what squelch is all about (and it applies to bands other than CB).

        http://www.life123.com/technology/home-electronics/two-way-radios/understanding-squelch.shtml

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
          It opens at low numbers (usually 1 for me) and higher is tighter (which
          means it takes a stronger signal to overcome it).

          As Paul suggested, I've found that a setting of '2' works fine for me.

          In general, you want to lower it on a CSQ channel until it opens (makes
          noise), then raise it until it just stops. Note this will not work on a
          CTCSS/CTCSS/NAC protected channel, or on a trunk system. You have to set
          it on a channel that is not using any means of guarded access. If you
          just hit HOLD-(FREQ)-HOLD, that will work fine.

          Joe M.