RE: [BCD396XT] WTB: BCD396T

  • Paul Opitz
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
      A lot fewer than most would guess.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Frank Leidy <fleidy@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 7:33 PM
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] WTB: BCD396T

      Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
      collection.

      Frank
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
        12? (only talking Uniden models)

        Joe M.

        Paul Opitz wrote:
        > A lot fewer than most would guess.

      • JAN FINE
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
          I don't think so. If he did have a big personal collection it would include the radios he made for Radio Shack. (Pro96).

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
            That would be Scanner Master, he has the scanner museam. Check out his
            web site.

            Sent from my iPod

            On Feb 7, 2009, at 8:10 AM, "JAN FINE" <janfine@...> wrote:

            > I don't think so. If he did have a big personal collection it would
            > include the radios he made for Radio Shack. (Pro96).

          • Paul Opitz
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
              Well, I had a "finger" in almost every scanner RS did from about 1985-2003.

              Wrote most of the manuals 1985-1996, Managed the product development for them 1997-2001, Directed Product Development for them 2001-2003...but had a Product Manager that did the work.  Sounds like a lot, but really was a very small part of what I did...as a PM I usually had 100-150 active development projects of which maybe 2 or 3 a year were scanners...as Director there were 400-600 active development projects at any particular time that were under my purvue.

              I think the last scanner I purchased was a PRO-43, which I haven't turned on in a couple of years. I do not otherwise keep scanners around that are not work related (i.e. I never comp myselves with work samples...if I want something I buy it legitimately). That said, I have typically had a scanner around that I am working on in some capacity...but they go back on the shelf at work when I'm done with 'em.

              Right now:
              * I have a BCD996T set up in the car with a remote head.
              * I have a BCD396XT in my laptop bag.
              * I have something else I can't talk about.
              I don't own any of them. Sometimes I think that they own me, however.

              That's it.

              OTOH, I have 2 bicycles, 2 guitars, 4 cameras, a Starbucks card, 3 sets of running shoes (that I should be wearing out a lot faster than I am), and too many computers. This list reflects more accurately what I typically want to be doing on the weekends.

              Of course, now look at what I am doing this weekend.

              ________________________________
              I don't think so. If he did have a big personal collection it would include the radios he made for Radio Shack. (Pro96).

              Paul's radio collection AKA "The Uniden Museum of Radio Antiquities"

              There would have to be one of everything Uniden has ever made surely?
              What do you say Paul?

              ;)
              Andrew

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, "Frank Leidy" <fleidy@...> wrote:

              > Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
              > collection.
              >
              > Frank

              Database version: 5.11710
              http://www.pctools com/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

              Database version: 5.11710
              http://www.pctools com/en/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

            • kayi4cle
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                Aha! So it's you we have to thank for those manuals!

                What I'm curious about is that "something else" that you can't talk
                about. My guess is a BCD996XT.

                By the way, I really enjoyed your post:-)

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:
                >> Wrote most of the manuals 1985-1996>
                > Right now:

                > * I have something else I can't talk about.
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                  He was with Radio Shack before the 1st generation 396 was made, if I am not
                  mistaken? So he most likely has a nice collection of both? But I could be
                  wrong and it sure wouldn't be the first timeJ

                  73

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Frank
                  Leidy" <fleidy@...> wrote:

                  > Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
                  > collection.
                  >
                  > Frank

                • johnstark
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                    Maybe reading his posts you can figure out what he has and doesn't.... he's
                    responded twice on the subject.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                      Paul basically came on board with the development/release of the DMA
                      scanners - starting with the BC246, I think. I doubt the two were
                      directly related, but who knows... maybe they were (maybe DMA scanners
                      were Paul's 'baby').

                      Joe M.

                      Mike wrote:
                      > He was with Radio Shack before the 1st generation 396 was made, if I am not
                      > mistaken? So he most likely has a nice collection of both? But I could be
                      > wrong and it sure wouldn't be the first timeJ
                      >

                      > 73

                    • scannermaster9
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
                        We actually have amassed a huge collection of both U.S. and European
                        scanners with the goal of opening a scanner museum as Dave says.
                        Because we are considering moving though to new space I'm just not
                        sure when it will be open....but it will happen.

                        I am seeking for the collection the first computer-controlled scanner,
                        Uniden's CompuScan (I believe it was called) that was controlled I
                        think by a Commodore 64. Sorry to go off-topic here but as long as the
                        opening was given I thought I would throw that out there in case
                        anyone has one they would like to sell to be displayed in the museum
                        or knows where I could find one. Thank you.

                        Rich Barnett

                        Rich Barnett

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David McCormick <dmccorm@...> wrote:

                        > That would be Scanner Master, he has the scanner museam. Check out his
                        > web site.

                      • Frank Leidy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
                          Rick,

                          Looks like you are right. CompuScan CP2100.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MU_76ARt1g

                          http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*&q=compuscan+police+radio

                          Frank

                          > We actually have amassed a huge collection of both U.S. and European
                          > scanners with the goal of opening a scanner museum as Dave says.
                          > Because we are considering moving though to new space I'm just not
                          > sure when it will be open....but it will happen.
                          >
                          > I am seeking for the collection the first computer-controlled scanner,
                          > Uniden's CompuScan (I believe it was called) that was controlled I
                          > think by a Commodore 64. Sorry to go off-topic here but as long as the
                          > opening was given I thought I would throw that out there in case
                          > anyone has one they would like to sell to be displayed in the museum
                          > or knows where I could find one. Thank you.
                          >
                          > Rich Barnett
                          >

                          > Rich Barnett
                          >
                          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David McCormick <dmccorm@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> That would be Scanner Master, he has the scanner museam. Check out his
                          >> web site.

                        • Paul Opitz
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
                            I outlined the basic idea for Uniden, then for GRE...both while I was at RS. However, nothing really got done until I came over to Uniden.  I made the skeleton, but a bunch of really smart engineers actually put the flesh and muscles on and made it work.