RE: [BCD396XT] Regarding the use of ARC software

  • Richard A. Victor
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
      Works just fine here with a serial cable and Windows 7.

      I find it interesting the way people generalize that something
      doesn't work generally just because they can't get it working on
      their specific computer with their specific setup.

      Dick

      At 12:06 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
      >Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.
      >
      >Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?
    • Cris Hanna
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
        I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
        of clarification this time I will.

        I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
        Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
        Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
        And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.

        Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
        quite qualified to comment on.

        I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
        machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue

        This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
        Collinsville IL

        The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
        with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT

        I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
        since my laptops don't have serial ports

        Cris E. Hanna

        Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services

        Belleville, IL

        A Microsoft Registered Partner

        618-580-8168

        MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

        Since 1997

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
          What makes that odd is the fact that there are people who are running it
          fine under the same OS.

          Maybe you (vs the others) have different .NET framework installed?

          With your background, I'm sure Assaf would appreciate any insights you
          have into the cause.

          Joe M.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
            I have no doubt that you are well qualified to determine that
            FreeScan isn't working on your computer. However, it works just fine
            on mine with a serial cable and I took (take) issue with the
            generalization in your first post that "Freescan does not work with a
            serial cable on Windows 7". You, in light of your qualifications,
            should know that it is inappropriate to generalize from a very
            limited sample. Perhaps you should have said that "FreeScan doesn't
            work on my Windows 7 computer."

            It seems to me that those types of comments can cause freeware
            authors to decide that it just isn't worth the hassle.

            Dick

            At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
            >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
            >of clarification this time I will.
            >
            >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
            >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
            >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
            >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
            >
            >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
            >quite qualified to comment on.
            >
            >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
            >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
            >
            >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
            >Collinsville IL
            >
            >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
            >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
            >
            >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
            >since my laptops don't have serial ports
            >
            >Cris E. Hanna
            >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
            >Belleville, IL
            >A Microsoft Registered Partner
            >618-580-8168
            >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
            > Since 1997

          • john bucki
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
              Amen

              john

              To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
              From: Victor@...
              Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:54:35 -0600

              At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
              >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
              >of clarification this time I will.
              >
              >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
              >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
              >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
              >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
              >
              >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
              >quite qualified to comment on.
              >
              >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
              >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
              >
              >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
              >Collinsville IL
              >
              >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
              >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
              >
              >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
              >since my laptops don't have serial ports
              >
              >Cris E. Hanna
              >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
              >Belleville, IL
              >A Microsoft Registered Partner
              >618-580-8168
              >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
              > Since 1997

            • nocreativety
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2010
                FreeSCAN is written and compiled under Win7 so it should be compatible. Not sure why it is not working for you, if it is not communicating with the scanner then you should check the COM port settings. Thats the only thing that can be wrong if your scanner is working with other scanner.

                Assaf