Re: [BCD396XT] Regarding the use of ARC software

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
      Well I was answering Walt's question which did not mention windows7. I
      can't see why it wouldn't, but check scannow.org, or search RR for
      compatibility.

      Mel

      Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.

      Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

      >Why not just try FreeScan, it may and probably will be all you need.

      Mel

      Hi,

      Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for a

      neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
      trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the
      Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?

      Walt
      South Carolina

    • Richard A. Victor
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
        Works just fine here with a serial cable and Windows 7.

        I find it interesting the way people generalize that something
        doesn't work generally just because they can't get it working on
        their specific computer with their specific setup.

        Dick

        At 12:06 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
        >Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.
        >
        >Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?
      • Cris Hanna
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
          I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
          of clarification this time I will.

          I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
          Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
          Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
          And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.

          Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
          quite qualified to comment on.

          I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
          machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue

          This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
          Collinsville IL

          The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
          with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT

          I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
          since my laptops don't have serial ports

          Cris E. Hanna

          Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services

          Belleville, IL

          A Microsoft Registered Partner

          618-580-8168

          MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

          Since 1997

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
            What makes that odd is the fact that there are people who are running it
            fine under the same OS.

            Maybe you (vs the others) have different .NET framework installed?

            With your background, I'm sure Assaf would appreciate any insights you
            have into the cause.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
              I have no doubt that you are well qualified to determine that
              FreeScan isn't working on your computer. However, it works just fine
              on mine with a serial cable and I took (take) issue with the
              generalization in your first post that "Freescan does not work with a
              serial cable on Windows 7". You, in light of your qualifications,
              should know that it is inappropriate to generalize from a very
              limited sample. Perhaps you should have said that "FreeScan doesn't
              work on my Windows 7 computer."

              It seems to me that those types of comments can cause freeware
              authors to decide that it just isn't worth the hassle.

              Dick

              At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
              >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
              >of clarification this time I will.
              >
              >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
              >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
              >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
              >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
              >
              >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
              >quite qualified to comment on.
              >
              >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
              >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
              >
              >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
              >Collinsville IL
              >
              >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
              >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
              >
              >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
              >since my laptops don't have serial ports
              >
              >Cris E. Hanna
              >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
              >Belleville, IL
              >A Microsoft Registered Partner
              >618-580-8168
              >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
              > Since 1997

            • john bucki
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                Amen

                john

                To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                From: Victor@...
                Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:54:35 -0600

                At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                >of clarification this time I will.
                >
                >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                >
                >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                >quite qualified to comment on.
                >
                >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                >
                >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                >Collinsville IL
                >
                >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                >
                >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                >
                >Cris E. Hanna
                >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                >Belleville, IL
                >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                >618-580-8168
                >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                > Since 1997

              • nocreativety
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2010
                  FreeSCAN is written and compiled under Win7 so it should be compatible. Not sure why it is not working for you, if it is not communicating with the scanner then you should check the COM port settings. Thats the only thing that can be wrong if your scanner is working with other scanner.

                  Assaf