Re: [BCD396XT] Regarding the use of ARC software

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
      Odds are the USB cables will not work either since they are nothing more
      than serial cables with a USB-to-RS232 adapter. Once the adapter is
      installed and the COM port assigned, there is no difference over a
      serial port. In fact, if anything the serial port is more reliable since
      you don't have to convert to USB format than back.

      Are you sure it's a FreeScan issue and not a Windows 7 issue with it
      recognizing COM ports? What port number is assigned to your serial port
      in the Device Manager? Does it show as being present? If not, FreeScan
      has nothing to do with the issue.

      Joe M.

      Cris Hanna wrote:
      > Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.
      >
      > Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

    • Mel
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
        Well I was answering Walt's question which did not mention windows7. I
        can't see why it wouldn't, but check scannow.org, or search RR for
        compatibility.

        Mel

        Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.

        Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

        >Why not just try FreeScan, it may and probably will be all you need.

        Mel

        Hi,

        Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for a

        neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
        trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the
        Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?

        Walt
        South Carolina

      • Richard A. Victor
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
          Works just fine here with a serial cable and Windows 7.

          I find it interesting the way people generalize that something
          doesn't work generally just because they can't get it working on
          their specific computer with their specific setup.

          Dick

          At 12:06 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
          >Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.
          >
          >Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?
        • Cris Hanna
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
            I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
            of clarification this time I will.

            I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
            Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
            Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
            And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.

            Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
            quite qualified to comment on.

            I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
            machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue

            This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
            Collinsville IL

            The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
            with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT

            I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
            since my laptops don't have serial ports

            Cris E. Hanna

            Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services

            Belleville, IL

            A Microsoft Registered Partner

            618-580-8168

            MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

            Since 1997

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
              What makes that odd is the fact that there are people who are running it
              fine under the same OS.

              Maybe you (vs the others) have different .NET framework installed?

              With your background, I'm sure Assaf would appreciate any insights you
              have into the cause.

              Joe M.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                I have no doubt that you are well qualified to determine that
                FreeScan isn't working on your computer. However, it works just fine
                on mine with a serial cable and I took (take) issue with the
                generalization in your first post that "Freescan does not work with a
                serial cable on Windows 7". You, in light of your qualifications,
                should know that it is inappropriate to generalize from a very
                limited sample. Perhaps you should have said that "FreeScan doesn't
                work on my Windows 7 computer."

                It seems to me that those types of comments can cause freeware
                authors to decide that it just isn't worth the hassle.

                Dick

                At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                >of clarification this time I will.
                >
                >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                >
                >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                >quite qualified to comment on.
                >
                >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                >
                >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                >Collinsville IL
                >
                >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                >
                >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                >
                >Cris E. Hanna
                >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                >Belleville, IL
                >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                >618-580-8168
                >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                > Since 1997

              • john bucki
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Amen

                  john

                  To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                  From: Victor@...
                  Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:54:35 -0600

                  At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                  >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                  >of clarification this time I will.
                  >
                  >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                  >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                  >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                  >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                  >
                  >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                  >quite qualified to comment on.
                  >
                  >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                  >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                  >
                  >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                  >Collinsville IL
                  >
                  >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                  >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                  >
                  >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                  >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                  >
                  >Cris E. Hanna
                  >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                  >Belleville, IL
                  >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                  >618-580-8168
                  >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                  > Since 1997

                • nocreativety
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2010
                    FreeSCAN is written and compiled under Win7 so it should be compatible. Not sure why it is not working for you, if it is not communicating with the scanner then you should check the COM port settings. Thats the only thing that can be wrong if your scanner is working with other scanner.

                    Assaf