Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Kudos to UPMan, Uniden and Beta Testers!

  • dmccorm@charter.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
      Uniden has that covered:

      EARPHONE WARNING!
      Be sure to use only a monaural earphone with this
      scanner. You can also use an optional 32 Ω stereo
      headset. Use of an incorrect earphone or stereo
      headset might be potentially hazardous to your
      hearing. The output of the phone jack is monaural, but
      you will hear it in both headphones of a stereo
      headset.
      Set the volume to a comfortable audio level coming
      from the speaker before plugging in the monaural
      earphone or a stereo headset of the proper
      impedance (32 Ω). Otherwise, you might experience
      some discomfort or possible hearing damage if the
      volume suddenly becomes too loud because of the
      volume control or squelch control setting. This might
      be particularly true of the type of earphone that is
      placed in the ear canal.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
        How many lawsuits? Who knows. It could be none, but Uniden might just be
        complying with a federal mandate that earphone levels not exceed X dB -
        similar the the mandate that requires the weather alerts to be at
        *least* X dB. Or, they may just be adopting a "CYA" philosophy.

        Which speaker are we talking about?

        An extension speaker made for an earphone jack should have an amplifier
        built in.

        There are three types of jacks that scanners have:

        1. Earphone jack - designed for 32 ohm earphones only. I believe the
        Uniden manual states this specifically.

        2. External Speaker jack - designed to drive external (or extension) 8
        ohm speakers.

        3. Line Out jack - designed to provide fixed, standard line level audio.
        This level is on similar lines as the earphone jack, and can be used
        with an external speaker provided it is an amplified speaker. Some
        people might find the level acceptable with non-amplified speakers.

        Will one work with another type of jack? Yes - sometimes.

        All this said, is it possible you had the audio on the 396T raised
        artificially, such as having the channels programmed for NFM when the
        signals were FM, but the XT has the mode set correctly?

        Is it possible your 396T was modified to raise the level of the earphone
        jack? Yes, there are mods out there to do this, but the proper way to
        deal with not having the correct jack type is to compensate for it with
        your device - such as using an amplified speaker for an earphone jack
        output.

        As for intent of criticism, I don't see how "would ding it on" is
        anything short of criticism. True, not very harsh criticism, but if you
        want to replace that word with "critique", that is fine with me. Even if
        you want to continue to call it a 'ding', that's fine. Just change my
        reply to the effect that the 'ding' is not justified, as the earphone
        jack was not designed to drive an 8 ohm speaker.

        As for the "people in this country are getting so wuss-ified and lawsuit
        happy.", that is absolutely true, and Uniden's decision to take
        preemptive action against a stupid lawsuit is the type of thing we will
        see when the courts rule in favor of people who had the ability to do
        stupid things, then sue for it. The courts have ruled it is the
        responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure people can't do stupid
        things, or be held liable if they can.

        We definitely agree the XT is an awesome scanner. The only thing we seem
        to disagree on is whether an earphone jack should be able to drive an
        external speaker. Again, Uniden states that it is for earphone use only.

        Joe M.