Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Kudos to UPMan, Uniden and Beta Testers!

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
      That's because it's an earphone jack and not an external speaker jack.
      It was not designed to drive a speaker, so the criticism that it will
      not really isn't justified. If it could, there would be lawsuits from
      people driving the earphone to levels that would damage their hearing.

      Joe M.

      fhgdel wrote:
      > Only thing i would ding it on is the output of the headphone jack audio...It's lower and really won't drive an extension speaker.
    • fhgdel
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
        Wow...wonder how many lawsuits have been filed on the 396T which drove that external speaker just fine.....and that extension speaker is MADE for scanners earphone jack. I was trying to imply how much I enjoy the scanner, not criticize it or hurt anyone's feelings. I don't know about most people, but if I had a headphone or earphones plugged into that jack and it was loud, I would turn that little black knob on top counter-clockwise and remedy the situation. people in this country are getting so wuss-ified and lawsuit happy. Get real people who would file a lawsuit against some manufacturer who "warned you to begin with by the way" to be careful when listening with headphones/earphones. Same category as someone filing a lawsuit against McDonalds because the spilled hot coffee on themselves. Anyway!!!!! Again....awesome scanner UPMan and Uniden!!! Awesome.

      • dmccorm@charter.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
          Uniden has that covered:

          EARPHONE WARNING!
          Be sure to use only a monaural earphone with this
          scanner. You can also use an optional 32 Ω stereo
          headset. Use of an incorrect earphone or stereo
          headset might be potentially hazardous to your
          hearing. The output of the phone jack is monaural, but
          you will hear it in both headphones of a stereo
          headset.
          Set the volume to a comfortable audio level coming
          from the speaker before plugging in the monaural
          earphone or a stereo headset of the proper
          impedance (32 Ω). Otherwise, you might experience
          some discomfort or possible hearing damage if the
          volume suddenly becomes too loud because of the
          volume control or squelch control setting. This might
          be particularly true of the type of earphone that is
          placed in the ear canal.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
            How many lawsuits? Who knows. It could be none, but Uniden might just be
            complying with a federal mandate that earphone levels not exceed X dB -
            similar the the mandate that requires the weather alerts to be at
            *least* X dB. Or, they may just be adopting a "CYA" philosophy.

            Which speaker are we talking about?

            An extension speaker made for an earphone jack should have an amplifier
            built in.

            There are three types of jacks that scanners have:

            1. Earphone jack - designed for 32 ohm earphones only. I believe the
            Uniden manual states this specifically.

            2. External Speaker jack - designed to drive external (or extension) 8
            ohm speakers.

            3. Line Out jack - designed to provide fixed, standard line level audio.
            This level is on similar lines as the earphone jack, and can be used
            with an external speaker provided it is an amplified speaker. Some
            people might find the level acceptable with non-amplified speakers.

            Will one work with another type of jack? Yes - sometimes.

            All this said, is it possible you had the audio on the 396T raised
            artificially, such as having the channels programmed for NFM when the
            signals were FM, but the XT has the mode set correctly?

            Is it possible your 396T was modified to raise the level of the earphone
            jack? Yes, there are mods out there to do this, but the proper way to
            deal with not having the correct jack type is to compensate for it with
            your device - such as using an amplified speaker for an earphone jack
            output.

            As for intent of criticism, I don't see how "would ding it on" is
            anything short of criticism. True, not very harsh criticism, but if you
            want to replace that word with "critique", that is fine with me. Even if
            you want to continue to call it a 'ding', that's fine. Just change my
            reply to the effect that the 'ding' is not justified, as the earphone
            jack was not designed to drive an 8 ohm speaker.

            As for the "people in this country are getting so wuss-ified and lawsuit
            happy.", that is absolutely true, and Uniden's decision to take
            preemptive action against a stupid lawsuit is the type of thing we will
            see when the courts rule in favor of people who had the ability to do
            stupid things, then sue for it. The courts have ruled it is the
            responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure people can't do stupid
            things, or be held liable if they can.

            We definitely agree the XT is an awesome scanner. The only thing we seem
            to disagree on is whether an earphone jack should be able to drive an
            external speaker. Again, Uniden states that it is for earphone use only.

            Joe M.