Re: [BCD396XT] WTB: BCD396T

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
      You might have more luck posting to the 396 list, as there are no used
      396XTs for sale yet (unless Paul wants to sell his ;-> ).

      Bob wrote:
      > The utility in my area has gone P25 trunking & I'm looking for a
      > 396T. Looking for a CLEAN (no dings, dents, scratches, scuffs, worn
      > lettering), fully functional unit that's less than 2 years old. Prefer
      > a unit in the original box with the original accessories. ARC396 / USB
      > program cable a plus. Reasonably priced please.
      > Can pay via PayPal. Deal with confidence, check my eBay feedback:
      > http://myworld.ebay.com/rja1/
      >
      > Also have lots of ham related stuff to trade, + or - cash depending
      > on the trade. Contact me via e-mail: rja1@...
      >
      > Regards,
      > Bob

    • Frank Leidy
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
        Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
        collection.

        Frank
        > You might have more luck posting to the 396 list, as there are no used
        > 396XTs for sale yet (unless Paul wants to sell his ;-> ).

        > Bob wrote:
        >> The utility in my area has gone P25 trunking & I'm looking for a
        >> 396T. Looking for a CLEAN (no dings, dents, scratches, scuffs, worn
        >> lettering), fully functional unit that's less than 2 years old. Prefer
        >> a unit in the original box with the original accessories. ARC396 / USB
        >> program cable a plus. Reasonably priced please.
        >> Can pay via PayPal. Deal with confidence, check my eBay feedback:
        >> http://myworld.ebay.com/rja1/
        >>
        >> Also have lots of ham related stuff to trade, + or - cash depending
        >> on the trade. Contact me via e-mail: rja1@...
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >> Bob

      • bigfella237
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
          Paul's radio collection AKA "The Uniden Museum of Radio Antiquities"

          There would have to be one of everything Uniden has ever made surely?
          What do you say Paul?

          ;)
          Andrew

          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Leidy" <fleidy@...> wrote:

          > Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
          > collection.
          >
          > Frank
        • Paul Opitz
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
            A lot fewer than most would guess.

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 6, 2009
              12? (only talking Uniden models)

              Joe M.

              Paul Opitz wrote:
              > A lot fewer than most would guess.

            • JAN FINE
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                I don't think so. If he did have a big personal collection it would include the radios he made for Radio Shack. (Pro96).

                Paul's radio collection AKA "The Uniden Museum of Radio Antiquities"

                There would have to be one of everything Uniden has ever made surely?
                What do you say Paul?

                ;)
                Andrew

                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Leidy" <fleidy@...> wrote:

                > Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
                > collection.
                >
                > Frank

                Database version: 5.11710

                Database version: 5.11710

              • David McCormick
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                  That would be Scanner Master, he has the scanner museam. Check out his
                  web site.

                  Sent from my iPod

                  On Feb 7, 2009, at 8:10 AM, "JAN FINE" <janfine@...> wrote:

                  > I don't think so. If he did have a big personal collection it would
                  > include the radios he made for Radio Shack. (Pro96).

                • Paul Opitz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                    Well, I had a "finger" in almost every scanner RS did from about 1985-2003.

                    Wrote most of the manuals 1985-1996, Managed the product development for them 1997-2001, Directed Product Development for them 2001-2003...but had a Product Manager that did the work.  Sounds like a lot, but really was a very small part of what I did...as a PM I usually had 100-150 active development projects of which maybe 2 or 3 a year were scanners...as Director there were 400-600 active development projects at any particular time that were under my purvue.

                    I think the last scanner I purchased was a PRO-43, which I haven't turned on in a couple of years. I do not otherwise keep scanners around that are not work related (i.e. I never comp myselves with work samples...if I want something I buy it legitimately). That said, I have typically had a scanner around that I am working on in some capacity...but they go back on the shelf at work when I'm done with 'em.

                    Right now:
                    * I have a BCD996T set up in the car with a remote head.
                    * I have a BCD396XT in my laptop bag.
                    * I have something else I can't talk about.
                    I don't own any of them. Sometimes I think that they own me, however.

                    That's it.

                    OTOH, I have 2 bicycles, 2 guitars, 4 cameras, a Starbucks card, 3 sets of running shoes (that I should be wearing out a lot faster than I am), and too many computers. This list reflects more accurately what I typically want to be doing on the weekends.

                    Of course, now look at what I am doing this weekend.

                    ________________________________
                    I don't think so. If he did have a big personal collection it would include the radios he made for Radio Shack. (Pro96).

                    Paul's radio collection AKA "The Uniden Museum of Radio Antiquities"

                    There would have to be one of everything Uniden has ever made surely?
                    What do you say Paul?

                    ;)
                    Andrew

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroup s.com, "Frank Leidy" <fleidy@...> wrote:

                    > Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
                    > collection.
                    >
                    > Frank

                    Database version: 5.11710
                    http://www.pctools com/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

                    Database version: 5.11710
                    http://www.pctools com/en/spyware- doctor-antivirus /

                  • kayi4cle
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                      Aha! So it's you we have to thank for those manuals!

                      What I'm curious about is that "something else" that you can't talk
                      about. My guess is a BCD996XT.

                      By the way, I really enjoyed your post:-)

                      --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Paul Opitz <pmanu44@...> wrote:
                      >> Wrote most of the manuals 1985-1996>
                      > Right now:

                      > * I have something else I can't talk about.
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                        He was with Radio Shack before the 1st generation 396 was made, if I am not
                        mistaken? So he most likely has a nice collection of both? But I could be
                        wrong and it sure wouldn't be the first timeJ

                        73

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , "Frank
                        Leidy" <fleidy@...> wrote:

                        > Ya know. I always wondered how many radios Paul has in his personal
                        > collection.
                        >
                        > Frank

                      • johnstark
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                          Maybe reading his posts you can figure out what he has and doesn't.... he's
                          responded twice on the subject.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                            Paul basically came on board with the development/release of the DMA
                            scanners - starting with the BC246, I think. I doubt the two were
                            directly related, but who knows... maybe they were (maybe DMA scanners
                            were Paul's 'baby').

                            Joe M.

                            Mike wrote:
                            > He was with Radio Shack before the 1st generation 396 was made, if I am not
                            > mistaken? So he most likely has a nice collection of both? But I could be
                            > wrong and it sure wouldn't be the first timeJ
                            >

                            > 73

                          • scannermaster9
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
                              We actually have amassed a huge collection of both U.S. and European
                              scanners with the goal of opening a scanner museum as Dave says.
                              Because we are considering moving though to new space I'm just not
                              sure when it will be open....but it will happen.

                              I am seeking for the collection the first computer-controlled scanner,
                              Uniden's CompuScan (I believe it was called) that was controlled I
                              think by a Commodore 64. Sorry to go off-topic here but as long as the
                              opening was given I thought I would throw that out there in case
                              anyone has one they would like to sell to be displayed in the museum
                              or knows where I could find one. Thank you.

                              Rich Barnett

                              Rich Barnett

                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David McCormick <dmccorm@...> wrote:

                              > That would be Scanner Master, he has the scanner museam. Check out his
                              > web site.

                            • Frank Leidy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
                                Rick,

                                Looks like you are right. CompuScan CP2100.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MU_76ARt1g

                                http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*&q=compuscan+police+radio

                                Frank

                                > We actually have amassed a huge collection of both U.S. and European
                                > scanners with the goal of opening a scanner museum as Dave says.
                                > Because we are considering moving though to new space I'm just not
                                > sure when it will be open....but it will happen.
                                >
                                > I am seeking for the collection the first computer-controlled scanner,
                                > Uniden's CompuScan (I believe it was called) that was controlled I
                                > think by a Commodore 64. Sorry to go off-topic here but as long as the
                                > opening was given I thought I would throw that out there in case
                                > anyone has one they would like to sell to be displayed in the museum
                                > or knows where I could find one. Thank you.
                                >
                                > Rich Barnett
                                >

                                > Rich Barnett
                                >
                                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David McCormick <dmccorm@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> That would be Scanner Master, he has the scanner museam. Check out his
                                >> web site.

                              • Paul Opitz
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 8, 2009
                                  I outlined the basic idea for Uniden, then for GRE...both while I was at RS. However, nothing really got done until I came over to Uniden.  I made the skeleton, but a bunch of really smart engineers actually put the flesh and muscles on and made it work.