Re: [BCD396XT] Regarding the use of ARC software

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
      Why not just try FreeScan, it may and probably will be all you need.

      Mel
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
        The ARC software has a trial period. Try it and decide for yourself.
        Knowledge of Trunking is
        always helpful. ARC Pro just has more features, as in logging, etc.

        Clark

        At 07:05 AM 2/3/2010, you wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for
        >a neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
        >trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would
        >the Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?
        >
        >Walt
        >South Carolina
      • William Edwards
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
          I stuck with my old non-trunking scanner for over 10 years. When I finally
          made the leap to catch-up to modern times (with the BCD396T) I faced a
          considerable learning curve regarding trunking systems, alpha tags, radios
          with "systems" and "groups" instead of "banks" and "channels", etc, etc.

          Nontheless, after about a week of trying things off and on I was able to use
          ARC396Pro, the easy programming link to RadioReference, and the radio itself
          with no problem.

          You have to do some studying and learning. Join the ARC396XT Yahoo group
          and research the archives. Every question you can think of has already been
          answered there.

          The linkage to RadioReference is what simplifies everything.

          I don't think you need the Pro version until you want to get into logging,
          recording, PC control of the scanner, etc.

          Bill E.

          On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM, im_windnfire <im_windnfire@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for
          > a neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
          > trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the
          > Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?
          >
          > Walt
          > South Carolina

        • Cris Hanna
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
            Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.

            Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
              If that were true, then it would not work with USB, either, as all the USB adapter does is create a virtual serial (RS232) port for applications like Freescan to address. To Freescan, there's no difference between the virtual serial and actual serial hardware...

              UPMan

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                Odds are the USB cables will not work either since they are nothing more
                than serial cables with a USB-to-RS232 adapter. Once the adapter is
                installed and the COM port assigned, there is no difference over a
                serial port. In fact, if anything the serial port is more reliable since
                you don't have to convert to USB format than back.

                Are you sure it's a FreeScan issue and not a Windows 7 issue with it
                recognizing COM ports? What port number is assigned to your serial port
                in the Device Manager? Does it show as being present? If not, FreeScan
                has nothing to do with the issue.

                Joe M.

                Cris Hanna wrote:
                > Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.
                >
                > Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

              • Mel
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Well I was answering Walt's question which did not mention windows7. I
                  can't see why it wouldn't, but check scannow.org, or search RR for
                  compatibility.

                  Mel

                  Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.

                  Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

                  >Why not just try FreeScan, it may and probably will be all you need.

                  Mel

                  Hi,

                  Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for a

                  neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
                  trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the
                  Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?

                  Walt
                  South Carolina

                • Richard A. Victor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Works just fine here with a serial cable and Windows 7.

                    I find it interesting the way people generalize that something
                    doesn't work generally just because they can't get it working on
                    their specific computer with their specific setup.

                    Dick

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                      I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                      of clarification this time I will.

                      I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                      Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                      Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                      And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.

                      Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                      quite qualified to comment on.

                      I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                      machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue

                      This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                      Collinsville IL

                      The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                      with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT

                      I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                      since my laptops don't have serial ports

                      Cris E. Hanna

                      Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services

                      Belleville, IL

                      A Microsoft Registered Partner

                      618-580-8168

                      MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

                      Since 1997

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                        What makes that odd is the fact that there are people who are running it
                        fine under the same OS.

                        Maybe you (vs the others) have different .NET framework installed?

                        With your background, I'm sure Assaf would appreciate any insights you
                        have into the cause.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                          I have no doubt that you are well qualified to determine that
                          FreeScan isn't working on your computer. However, it works just fine
                          on mine with a serial cable and I took (take) issue with the
                          generalization in your first post that "Freescan does not work with a
                          serial cable on Windows 7". You, in light of your qualifications,
                          should know that it is inappropriate to generalize from a very
                          limited sample. Perhaps you should have said that "FreeScan doesn't
                          work on my Windows 7 computer."

                          It seems to me that those types of comments can cause freeware
                          authors to decide that it just isn't worth the hassle.

                          Dick

                          At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                          >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                          >of clarification this time I will.
                          >
                          >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                          >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                          >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                          >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                          >
                          >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                          >quite qualified to comment on.
                          >
                          >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                          >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                          >
                          >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                          >Collinsville IL
                          >
                          >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                          >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                          >
                          >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                          >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                          >
                          >Cris E. Hanna
                          >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                          >Belleville, IL
                          >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                          >618-580-8168
                          >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                          > Since 1997

                        • john bucki
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                            Amen

                            john

                            To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                            From: Victor@...
                            Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:54:35 -0600

                            At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                            >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                            >of clarification this time I will.
                            >
                            >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                            >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                            >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                            >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                            >
                            >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                            >quite qualified to comment on.
                            >
                            >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                            >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                            >
                            >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                            >Collinsville IL
                            >
                            >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                            >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                            >
                            >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                            >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                            >
                            >Cris E. Hanna
                            >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                            >Belleville, IL
                            >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                            >618-580-8168
                            >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                            > Since 1997

                          • nocreativety
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2010
                              FreeSCAN is written and compiled under Win7 so it should be compatible. Not sure why it is not working for you, if it is not communicating with the scanner then you should check the COM port settings. Thats the only thing that can be wrong if your scanner is working with other scanner.

                              Assaf