Regarding the use of ARC software

  • im_windnfire
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi,

      Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for a neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?

      Walt
      South Carolina
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
        Why not just try FreeScan, it may and probably will be all you need.

        Mel

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
          The ARC software has a trial period. Try it and decide for yourself.
          Knowledge of Trunking is
          always helpful. ARC Pro just has more features, as in logging, etc.

          Clark

          At 07:05 AM 2/3/2010, you wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for
          >a neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
          >trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would
          >the Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?
          >
          >Walt
          >South Carolina
        • William Edwards
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
            I stuck with my old non-trunking scanner for over 10 years. When I finally
            made the leap to catch-up to modern times (with the BCD396T) I faced a
            considerable learning curve regarding trunking systems, alpha tags, radios
            with "systems" and "groups" instead of "banks" and "channels", etc, etc.

            Nontheless, after about a week of trying things off and on I was able to use
            ARC396Pro, the easy programming link to RadioReference, and the radio itself
            with no problem.

            You have to do some studying and learning. Join the ARC396XT Yahoo group
            and research the archives. Every question you can think of has already been
            answered there.

            The linkage to RadioReference is what simplifies everything.

            I don't think you need the Pro version until you want to get into logging,
            recording, PC control of the scanner, etc.

            Bill E.

            On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM, im_windnfire <im_windnfire@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for
            > a neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
            > trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the
            > Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?
            >
            > Walt
            > South Carolina

          • Cris Hanna
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
              Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.

              Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                If that were true, then it would not work with USB, either, as all the USB adapter does is create a virtual serial (RS232) port for applications like Freescan to address. To Freescan, there's no difference between the virtual serial and actual serial hardware...

                UPMan

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                  Odds are the USB cables will not work either since they are nothing more
                  than serial cables with a USB-to-RS232 adapter. Once the adapter is
                  installed and the COM port assigned, there is no difference over a
                  serial port. In fact, if anything the serial port is more reliable since
                  you don't have to convert to USB format than back.

                  Are you sure it's a FreeScan issue and not a Windows 7 issue with it
                  recognizing COM ports? What port number is assigned to your serial port
                  in the Device Manager? Does it show as being present? If not, FreeScan
                  has nothing to do with the issue.

                  Joe M.

                  Cris Hanna wrote:
                  > Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.
                  >
                  > Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

                • Mel
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Well I was answering Walt's question which did not mention windows7. I
                    can't see why it wouldn't, but check scannow.org, or search RR for
                    compatibility.

                    Mel

                    Freescan does not work with a serial cable on Windows 7.

                    Waiting for a USB cable.anyone can confirm that works?

                    >Why not just try FreeScan, it may and probably will be all you need.

                    Mel

                    Hi,

                    Using the ARC sortware... in your estimation... is it straight forward for a

                    neophyte or does it expect a certain amount of additional knowledge of
                    trunking and scanner setup with "control freqs" and other things? Would the
                    Pro model of the ARC SW be easier to use than the regular version?

                    Walt
                    South Carolina

                  • Richard A. Victor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                      Works just fine here with a serial cable and Windows 7.

                      I find it interesting the way people generalize that something
                      doesn't work generally just because they can't get it working on
                      their specific computer with their specific setup.

                      Dick

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                        I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                        of clarification this time I will.

                        I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                        Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                        Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                        And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.

                        Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                        quite qualified to comment on.

                        I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                        machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue

                        This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                        Collinsville IL

                        The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                        with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT

                        I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                        since my laptops don't have serial ports

                        Cris E. Hanna

                        Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services

                        Belleville, IL

                        A Microsoft Registered Partner

                        618-580-8168

                        MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

                        Since 1997

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                          What makes that odd is the fact that there are people who are running it
                          fine under the same OS.

                          Maybe you (vs the others) have different .NET framework installed?

                          With your background, I'm sure Assaf would appreciate any insights you
                          have into the cause.

                          Joe M.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                            I have no doubt that you are well qualified to determine that
                            FreeScan isn't working on your computer. However, it works just fine
                            on mine with a serial cable and I took (take) issue with the
                            generalization in your first post that "Freescan does not work with a
                            serial cable on Windows 7". You, in light of your qualifications,
                            should know that it is inappropriate to generalize from a very
                            limited sample. Perhaps you should have said that "FreeScan doesn't
                            work on my Windows 7 computer."

                            It seems to me that those types of comments can cause freeware
                            authors to decide that it just isn't worth the hassle.

                            Dick

                            At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                            >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                            >of clarification this time I will.
                            >
                            >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                            >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                            >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                            >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                            >
                            >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                            >quite qualified to comment on.
                            >
                            >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                            >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                            >
                            >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                            >Collinsville IL
                            >
                            >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                            >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                            >
                            >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                            >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                            >
                            >Cris E. Hanna
                            >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                            >Belleville, IL
                            >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                            >618-580-8168
                            >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                            > Since 1997

                          • john bucki
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 4, 2010
                              Amen

                              john

                              To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
                              From: Victor@...
                              Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:54:35 -0600

                              At 07:16 PM 2/4/2010, you wrote:
                              >I don't usually include my signature block on these mails but for the sake
                              >of clarification this time I will.
                              >
                              >I've been testing and running Windows 7 for well over a year as part of
                              >Microsoft's private testing group. Additionally I've been recognized by
                              >Microsoft's Server Product Group as a Most Valuable Professional since 1997.
                              >And I hold a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.
                              >
                              >Computers in general and Windows 7 specially are something about which I'm
                              >quite qualified to comment on.
                              >
                              >I've also had a GRE PSR600 for nearly 2 years, running PSREdit on Windows 7
                              >machines (32 and 64 bit) with out issue
                              >
                              >This past weekend I decided to pick up the 396XT at the Winterfest in
                              >Collinsville IL
                              >
                              >The same hardware configuration on a Windows 7/32bit box that does not work
                              >with freescan, works just fine with ARC396XT
                              >
                              >I'm likely to try the USB cable even if it only works on the ARC software
                              >since my laptops don't have serial ports
                              >
                              >Cris E. Hanna
                              >Owner, <http://www.cpuservices.net/> CPU Services
                              >Belleville, IL
                              >A Microsoft Registered Partner
                              >618-580-8168
                              >MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png
                              > Since 1997

                            • nocreativety
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 5, 2010
                                FreeSCAN is written and compiled under Win7 so it should be compatible. Not sure why it is not working for you, if it is not communicating with the scanner then you should check the COM port settings. Thats the only thing that can be wrong if your scanner is working with other scanner.

                                Assaf