Programming for a neophyte.....

  • im_windnfire
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hi,

      I am in the formative stage of planning for the purchase of a 396xt.

      When that time comes, I will be using a borrowed pc (I'm a Mac guy). Will the borrowed pc need any special software to use the programming software that is around? Also, how involved is it? I'm not a great pc user but can get around most programs.

      Any tips on programming... very appreciated!!!

      Walt
      South Carolina
    • Andy Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Walt,

        I¹m in the same boat as you. A friend of mine with a PC was kind enough to
        do the programming for me. Good luck with it! This is not your ³Bearcat 210²
        of the good old days. I have found that my new radio is nice and small,
        lightweight, excellent reception with excellent audio, however.....I have to
        be honest and say that it¹s a bitch to learn. I¹m slowly getting more
        comfortable with it, but I¹m still not able to wrap my mind around the fact
        that it does not have channel numbers---only memory. I know there are tags
        that can be assigned, but I somehow messed that up and need to figure it out
        again.

        Good luck with everything!

        Andy in Pleasanton, CA

        On 2/2/10 10:31 AM, "im_windnfire" <im_windnfire@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am in the formative stage of planning for the purchase of a 396xt.
        >
        > When that time comes, I will be using a borrowed pc (I'm a Mac guy). Will the
        > borrowed pc need any special software to use the programming software that is
        > around? Also, how involved is it? I'm not a great pc user but can get around
        > most programs.
        >
        > Any tips on programming... very appreciated!!!
        >
        > Walt
        > South Carolina

      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
          When you decide on what software to use, look at the requirements for that
          software.

          Clark

          At 10:31 AM 2/2/2010, you wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >I am in the formative stage of planning for the purchase of a 396xt.
          >
          >When that time comes, I will be using a borrowed pc (I'm a Mac guy). Will
          >the borrowed pc need any special software to use the programming software
          >that is around? Also, how involved is it? I'm not a great pc user but
          >can get around most programs.
          >
          >Any tips on programming... very appreciated!!!
          >
          >Walt
          >South Carolina
        • bigfella237
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
            Andy, just think of the new scanners like your PC, where the files (i.e. freqs and TGs) are divided up into separate folders (i.e. systems) instead of all being in the root directory as was with the old scanners.

            If every file on your computer was under the C:\ drive then it would take you forever to find anything!

            Andrew

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Andy Smith <asmith195@...> wrote:

            >I¹m still not able to wrap my mind around the fact
            > that it does not have channel numbers---only memory.
            >
            > Andy in Pleasanton, CA

          • Keith
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
              On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:31:18 -0000, "im_windnfire"
              <im_windnfire@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am in the formative stage of planning for the purchase of a 396xt.
              >
              > When that time comes, I will be using a borrowed pc (I'm a Mac guy). Will the borrowed pc need any special software to use the programming software that is around? Also, how involved is it? I'm not a great pc user but can get around most programs.
              >
              > Any tips on programming... very appreciated!!!
              >
              > Walt
              > South Carolina

              The ARC software does not require any additional libraries, but Freescan
              requires .NET libraries from MS.