Re: [BCD396XT] Kudos to UPMan, Uniden and Beta Testers!

  • Uniden UPMan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2010
      Glad to hear you've returned to the fold. Hope you are staying warm up there...no frostbite-- you need all your fingers for programming.
       UPMan

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
        Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the converstaiton. I would like to say
        that I am proud owner of a New BCD396XT radio and I am blown away by how
        well it performs. I had originally purchased a GRE PSR500 over the Uniden,
        big mistake. The GRE unit just did not pick up like the Uniden, I would
        like to also say Kudos and big job well done. I will never go back the
        other way and be Uniden bound from now on.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
          Same here. I had the 396T for a lonnnng time and just recently sold it and bought the 396XT. It's just incredible. Many many many new features. I knew from reading about it that it had some new features added but OMG.....tons of new features. I love the temporary lockout feature and the multi-site system support and the speed and sensitivity...Close Call seems to be more sensitive also. Love the 500 talkgroups per system instead of the 200 on the 396T. Only thing i would ding it on is the output of the headphone jack audio...It's lower and really won't drive an extension speaker. but I've been using a cassette adapter when in my car and it's awesome. Going to buy a bluetooth transmitter thingy so I can roam around at work and listen without the scanner clipped on me and looking like a geek. Great job UPMan! Looking forward to any firmware upgrades that'll open up any other cool features....already did the Unit ID upgrade and that was awesome.
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
            That's because it's an earphone jack and not an external speaker jack.
            It was not designed to drive a speaker, so the criticism that it will
            not really isn't justified. If it could, there would be lawsuits from
            people driving the earphone to levels that would damage their hearing.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
              Wow...wonder how many lawsuits have been filed on the 396T which drove that external speaker just fine.....and that extension speaker is MADE for scanners earphone jack. I was trying to imply how much I enjoy the scanner, not criticize it or hurt anyone's feelings. I don't know about most people, but if I had a headphone or earphones plugged into that jack and it was loud, I would turn that little black knob on top counter-clockwise and remedy the situation. people in this country are getting so wuss-ified and lawsuit happy. Get real people who would file a lawsuit against some manufacturer who "warned you to begin with by the way" to be careful when listening with headphones/earphones. Same category as someone filing a lawsuit against McDonalds because the spilled hot coffee on themselves. Anyway!!!!! Again....awesome scanner UPMan and Uniden!!! Awesome.

            • dmccorm@charter.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
                Uniden has that covered:

                EARPHONE WARNING!
                Be sure to use only a monaural earphone with this
                scanner. You can also use an optional 32 Ω stereo
                headset. Use of an incorrect earphone or stereo
                headset might be potentially hazardous to your
                hearing. The output of the phone jack is monaural, but
                you will hear it in both headphones of a stereo
                headset.
                Set the volume to a comfortable audio level coming
                from the speaker before plugging in the monaural
                earphone or a stereo headset of the proper
                impedance (32 Ω). Otherwise, you might experience
                some discomfort or possible hearing damage if the
                volume suddenly becomes too loud because of the
                volume control or squelch control setting. This might
                be particularly true of the type of earphone that is
                placed in the ear canal.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2010
                  How many lawsuits? Who knows. It could be none, but Uniden might just be
                  complying with a federal mandate that earphone levels not exceed X dB -
                  similar the the mandate that requires the weather alerts to be at
                  *least* X dB. Or, they may just be adopting a "CYA" philosophy.

                  Which speaker are we talking about?

                  An extension speaker made for an earphone jack should have an amplifier
                  built in.

                  There are three types of jacks that scanners have:

                  1. Earphone jack - designed for 32 ohm earphones only. I believe the
                  Uniden manual states this specifically.

                  2. External Speaker jack - designed to drive external (or extension) 8
                  ohm speakers.

                  3. Line Out jack - designed to provide fixed, standard line level audio.
                  This level is on similar lines as the earphone jack, and can be used
                  with an external speaker provided it is an amplified speaker. Some
                  people might find the level acceptable with non-amplified speakers.

                  Will one work with another type of jack? Yes - sometimes.

                  All this said, is it possible you had the audio on the 396T raised
                  artificially, such as having the channels programmed for NFM when the
                  signals were FM, but the XT has the mode set correctly?

                  Is it possible your 396T was modified to raise the level of the earphone
                  jack? Yes, there are mods out there to do this, but the proper way to
                  deal with not having the correct jack type is to compensate for it with
                  your device - such as using an amplified speaker for an earphone jack
                  output.

                  As for intent of criticism, I don't see how "would ding it on" is
                  anything short of criticism. True, not very harsh criticism, but if you
                  want to replace that word with "critique", that is fine with me. Even if
                  you want to continue to call it a 'ding', that's fine. Just change my
                  reply to the effect that the 'ding' is not justified, as the earphone
                  jack was not designed to drive an 8 ohm speaker.

                  As for the "people in this country are getting so wuss-ified and lawsuit
                  happy.", that is absolutely true, and Uniden's decision to take
                  preemptive action against a stupid lawsuit is the type of thing we will
                  see when the courts rule in favor of people who had the ability to do
                  stupid things, then sue for it. The courts have ruled it is the
                  responsibility of the manufacturer to make sure people can't do stupid
                  things, or be held liable if they can.

                  We definitely agree the XT is an awesome scanner. The only thing we seem
                  to disagree on is whether an earphone jack should be able to drive an
                  external speaker. Again, Uniden states that it is for earphone use only.

                  Joe M.