Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Attenuator

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
      What type of interference are you getting?

      The 2006 and 90 are old enough they likely won't have any problems. It's
      primarily the more recent models that are more prone to overload.

      Joe M.

      nickcarr3151 wrote:
      > I'm not in a "heavy RF" area but I still have to use it on the 396XT.
      >
      > My R/S Pro-2006 doesn't have this problem. I'll have to check on my R/S Pro-90 scanner. I haven't tried that yet.

      >> Still, if you're in a very heavy RF area, you might have to use it on
      >> any scanner.

    • nickcarr3151
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
        It has nothing to do with interference.

        Example:

        Semi-weak signal on 169.0 mhz on 396XT with rubber duck
        Switch to R/S Pro 2006 (hooked up to external antenna) - signal is full strength
        Hook up external antenna to 396XT
        396XT hears washed out signal (think of strong signal plus lots of white noise)
        Enable ATT on 396XT
        Signal is decent; white noise is gone

        This happens on VHF-FM and VHF-AM (Air); happens with my BCT-15 as well.

        External antenna is R/S Discone on top of roof from suburb location.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
          Sorry to contradict you, but what you described is in fact interference
          - specifically receiver desensitization (AKA desense) from strong nearby
          transmitter(s) in the same or adjacent band. I would guess Broadcast FM
          or a NOAA transmitter, or possibly a TV transmitter on channel 7-13 (RF
          channel, not what they call their channel - they are no longer the same
          thing in most cases since the transition to DTV). For example, my
          Channel 2 transmits on RF Channel 25 now.

          And yes, the attenuator would act exactly as you describe. Hence, we are
          back to my original statement: "if you're in a very heavy RF area, you
          might have to use it on any scanner."

          And you have to be in the field of a strong RF source in the band for
          this to happen. In fact, the more sensitive the receiver, and the less
          effective the front end filtering, the more this will happen and the
          weaker the signal will appear to be (until you turn on the attenuator).

          Why doesn't it happen on your older scanners? Better band filtering.
          They are just as sensitive, if not more so, but the filtering simply is
          attenuating that signal before it gets far into your receiver.

          Joe M.

        • shelleysh1@att.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 21, 2010
            I don't have to use the attenuator at home, on my outside antenna, either. But there are times when I probably could be using it mobile. There are two places in St. Louis County where I'm running into some heavy RF, but both the areas are small in diameter and thus haven't presented any significant problems for me. But I haven't had any problems at all with the outside antenna (an Austin Ferret), nor have either of two locations where I have installed the same antenna. One is using a 396XT and the other usually a 996XT, but occasionally will use a 396XT.

            Shelley